One week Hawaiian holiday with both the X Pro 1 and the EM-5.. long post with pics...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Just got back from my hawaiian vacation and thought I'd post some personal insight into both cameras. After traveling most of the time with at least 1 DSLR (and several lenses) and my dependable Canon g11, I decided to travel light (lighter as opposed to previous years) with the X Pro 1 (with just the 35mm 1.4 lens) and the OMD EM-5 (with the 14mm 2.5, 14-42mm kit lens and the Oly 45-150mm lens). I've had both cameras for a few months now and decided to put them thru their paces on this trip. All this was in a lowepro slingbag 100 so it was pretty much a complete kit that I can take along all the time.
    First, IQ (image quality)
    You can probably foresee that the X Pro 1 would run away with this but I truly believe that the OMD gave it quite a run. Overall sharpness especially in low light situations, the X Pro 1 was just simply amazing.... case in point, my little nephew in almost total darkness and SOOC jpg from the XP1 (6400 ISO, 1.4, 1/30th of sec.
    but when there's sufficient light, the OMD wasn't that far behind in IQ. This shot was with the 45-150mm at f/9, 1/400 sec.
    I would have to say that I liked shooting with the XP1 more since it required a certain awareness with the controls. The OMD though was just super intuitive which in my mind, made it a little boring to shoot with. Although, I have to say that it made changing settings on the EM-5 a lot quicker. The Em-5 to it's credit, really made it easy to shoot with especially when I was playing around in manual control with the 45-150 lens. it gave me a ton of creative options since I knew exactly which dial, button, control to fiddle with without even taking the camera off my eye.
    Creative Filters
    Some would probably say that these creative filters are all a gimmick but I really do like them. In the XP1, they are called Film Simulations given that it is Fuji we are talking about. Having said that, the B & W filters of the XP1 were superb. In fact, I wouldn't mind walking along with it set to B & W all day long. Here's an example.
    while on the OMD side, the toy filter was pretty fun...
    Overall, I really enjoyed having both of these cameras at my disposal during my week long trip. If I was stuck with just one of these two cameras, it would've been more than sufficient to keep the photog in me happy. I would have to say that the OMD trounces the XP1 in video. I just absolutely love the quality of the video that the EM5 gives you. After shooting almost a ton of pics on both cams, I couldn't be happier with the choices that I've made in bringing them both.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Cracking set of images mate
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Excellent !

I enjoy reading write ups like this, especially from forum members who obviously have a passion for photography....sharing of non scientific real world shooting experience where the author hasn't tried to pass off personal opinion as gospel.

Thanks so much for sharing.

(that's some bad a$s kit you have mate.)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for posting this review. The colors of the Fuji are really nice, and my favorite of the bunch is your first photo of your nephew in low light. I did a similar exercise, taking along my E-P2 with the Panny 25 and Olympus 14-150 plus an X100 on a week and a half trip (though I had my Pen F film camera as back up for times when all my digital camera batteries were exhausted). I was very impressed with the low light capability and high quality of the X100 so I used it as my primary indoor/lowlight camera. Also, in silent mode it was the perfect stealth camera for surreptitious street photos. That said, still used my E-P2 for majority of my photos; while not as advancedin capability as your E-M5 it certainly provided more flexibility overall than the X100. Using both in tandem is great.