One touch white balance E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by John Jarosz, Feb 5, 2011.

1. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    I'm having trouble understanding how to use this function.

When I press the Fn key all it will do is change the face detect or the autofocus function. How do I assign the WB function to the Fn button?

If I manually set the WB to the one touch mode and then try to set the white balance by pressing the Fn button and the shutter, all the camera does is take a picture. I cannot get the sequence described in the manual to occur, most probably because I can't figure out how to assign the WB function to the Fn key.

Can someone educate me?

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    E-P1 WB via Fn button

John - it sounds like you have already set the Fn button to do WB via the Menu. So, what you need to do is press the Fn button together with the shutter button, but press the shutter release button only half-way, not all the way (as though to activate the AF; pushing release all the way takes a photo as you point out). When you do this while pointing to a white surface under the light conditions you wish to shoot in, the WB is automatically set. Hope this helps.
  3. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    This sounds like a really cool function to have .... does it work on the E-PL1 too or just E1?
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Even though the series of videos that Brian Mosely made (see this sticky at the top of the forum: is ostensibly for the E-P2, there are much of it will hold true for the E-P1, the E-PL1 and, here I am guessing, the E-PL2. I found Brian's series incredibly helpful. At the end of this first video there will be a link to his second, etc.