One Taj too many

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alf, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 8
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love the first shot. The second feels "crunchy" -- a bit over-processed to my eyes, but the first is great

• Like Like x 1
  3. #1 is classic Taj Mahal; the first glimpse any visitor sees of that amazing building. Nicely done in grainy B&W.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was SO upset, was so excited I didn't pay attention to the metering. Totally blew out the Taj.

ry%3D400.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    So in shots like these (which I encounter from time to time), where do you meter?

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think the important thing is to bracket. If none of them work out, HDR.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well, at the minimum, I should have spot or center weighted on the Taj. I would not be so nearly upset about the portico being pitch black compared to the main subject being dramatically overexposed.

Better, I would have metered the bright Taj, metered the dark portico, and set an exposure halfway in between.

Ideally, I would have used flash to bring the lights and darks closer together. I'm guessing that's what Alf did to capture the detail inside the gate.

Otherwise, yes, this would be a good time for HDR.

8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nice, makes me want to go back. I was there 8 years ago with a crappy Casio P&S and it was so foggy that you could hardly see the building from the gates...

Stefan

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I can't see any shadows from a flash there. it looks like all the light is coming from outside.

10. The exposure probably is about halfway in-between which is why the Taj Mahal is blown out. The exposure really needs to be set on the Taj Mahal.

Of course on a busy day you don't really have a lot of oppurtunity to play around with your camera as you come through the arch, lest the build-up of fellow visitors behind you pops you out into the sunshine like a cork!

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    #2 rocks! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1