1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

One Taj too many

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alf, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    • Like Like x 8
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love the first shot. The second feels "crunchy" -- a bit over-processed to my eyes, but the first is great

• Like Like x 1
  3. #1 is classic Taj Mahal; the first glimpse any visitor sees of that amazing building. Nicely done in grainy B&W.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was SO upset, was so excited I didn't pay attention to the metering. Totally blew out the Taj.

ry%3D400.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    So in shots like these (which I encounter from time to time), where do you meter?

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think the important thing is to bracket. If none of them work out, HDR.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well, at the minimum, I should have spot or center weighted on the Taj. I would not be so nearly upset about the portico being pitch black compared to the main subject being dramatically overexposed.

Better, I would have metered the bright Taj, metered the dark portico, and set an exposure halfway in between.

Ideally, I would have used flash to bring the lights and darks closer together. I'm guessing that's what Alf did to capture the detail inside the gate.

Otherwise, yes, this would be a good time for HDR.

8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nice, makes me want to go back. I was there 8 years ago with a crappy Casio P&S and it was so foggy that you could hardly see the building from the gates...

Stefan

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I can't see any shadows from a flash there. it looks like all the light is coming from outside.

10. The exposure probably is about halfway in-between which is why the Taj Mahal is blown out. The exposure really needs to be set on the Taj Mahal.

Of course on a busy day you don't really have a lot of oppurtunity to play around with your camera as you come through the arch, lest the build-up of fellow visitors behind you pops you out into the sunshine like a cork!

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    #2 rocks! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.