One of those days when adapted lenses are fun

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by carpandean, Dec 30, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    So, I stopped into a local photo/camera shop to see if they had any used equipment; MC/MD lenses in particular. The guy behind the counter pointed out a glass case near the back and said to check it out. The first thing that I noticed was a big MD Rokkor-X 80-200 f/4.5 that was marked down from $150 to $89. Then, behind a couple of others, I spotted what appeared to be another MD lens, but I couldn't see the markings to know what it was.

When the man passed by, I asked to see those two. He pulled them out and started looking through to see if there were any others. My curiosity made me check out the mystery lens first. It was a pristine (other than a couple of white marks on the built-in hood) MD Celtic 135mm f/2.8. I held it toward the light and used a small flashlight to look through it. Except a couple of very small dust particles near the edge, it was pristine on the inside, too.

Then, I checked the 80-200. To my dismay, there was a white growth near one side on a middle element. I pointed it out to him and after looking through it himself, he agreed and actually sounded quite sad about it. He did, however, show me a nice Sigma 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 that he had found. It was significantly smaller (in part due to Rokkor's constant aperture, but also its age) and, upon inspection, was found to be totally clean, too. So, I asked how much for the Celtic and the Sigma.

He thought a bit and said $75 for the two. I hesitated for a moment and he added "and I'll throw in this one," indicating the Rokkor. "Try it. If it doesn't work, no loss; if it does, use it until it doesn't. I'd rather have you get some use from it than have it sit around getting worse." Deal!

I did try it briefly and the fungus doesn't seem to affect images yet (thanks to the :43: center crop), so I'll have some fun with it until it grows too much. All-in-all, 2-1/2 lenses for a fraction of a :43: one. I'll add pics to the "Show us your adapted lenses" thread.

Side question: is fungus in any way contagious? To other lenses, I mean. In other words, should it get its own separate spot?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium

Fungus IS contagious, so don't put the affected lens in the same cabinet as your "main stock". Some people are even afraight to put lenses with fungus on their camera. Spores could migrate to the next lens .... Don't know if that is not a bridge too far.

I read somewhere that Carl Zeiss refuses to service lenses with fungus as they do not want fungus to even enter their facilities !

If you could dismantle the free lens, maybe you could clean it ??

Be careful,
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Try and get some UV light into the lens by either leaving it in the sun with the caps off or actually getting some good use out of it on bright days. Fungus likes darkness and moisture to grow. Deny it both and you should be able to stop it growing any further.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Good to know! Never tried dismantling a lens. For now, it's in Zip-Lock isolation. Tomorrow, I'll get it some rays.