1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'One More GX1 Perspective'

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Dec 12, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wanna take one of the new LVF-2s out for a test drive and see how it performs next to the Oly VF-2. ;)

The price point is really quite reasonable for the GX-1. It's just a little under the Olympus E-P3. I think that'll make it a tough decision for many.

I notice they say "Images have yellow/brownish cast in artificial light", which of course is natural for most cameras but this is the one major improvement that really blew me away about the new generation PEN cameras. I've never seen a camera correct for artificial lighting using AWB so well.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Agreed....

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

After reading all the reviews of the GX I am going to get one. It will have to be right after Christmas , darn family thinks they need gifts under the tree! Anyway I was going to get the GH2 but I think I will get the GX with the view finder accessory as well as a couple of lenses. Then wait for the GH3 which will probably be out spring or summer. I may then sell my Nikon system , well the bodies at least{I will keep most of the lenses and get an adaptor}. Then I can get more m4/3 lenses and accessories.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :love::love::love:

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
  7. speedandstyle

They think a lot of the view finder accessory! It is $249.95! Combine that with the body price of $700 and it comes to $949. That is about the same price as the GH2 body which has better ability and more features. Of coarse it is brand new and prices will come down in a few months{I hope}.

8. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I think I'm going to give it a month or so and see what the prices and more reviews say. I'm currently using a G3 but my girlfriend wants to take ownership of it which will leave me in the market for a new body.

I used an E-P3 for a few street shots are was really impressed with the screen. I also like the punch my Olympus e410 jpegs gave that the Panasonic jpegs seem to lack. So even with it's older sensor the E-P3 puts forward a compelling argument against the GX1.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Erm, the GH2/14-42 kit is currently selling for $700.

I like the option of being able to take the EVF off and having a very compact body, but paying for $300 for that privilege seems a bit much.

DH

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmmm... I'm trying the picture the family's reaction when they come downstairs Christmas morning and there's just one GX-1 sized box sitting under the Christmas tree marked, "To: speedandstyle From: me". LOL.

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Alternatively you could think of it as being priced like the E-P3 on release...without the VF-2.

12. speedandstyle

:rofl:

13. speedandstyle

Exactly! I too love the idea of 'use it when you need it , take it off when you don't'. I hate hand holding and using the LCD but it is fine when on sticks. I also like that the removable view finders tilt.