One login

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by muzee, Mar 19, 2013.

1. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    I find that I've been hanging out more and more on the Serious Compacts sister site recently. Parlty because my PEN has aged (is wobbling along) and I was looking at replacements/upgrades, and also the posts there are generally better reads (for me at least) ... anyway, my question for admins:

- can we not have one single sign on (login) for all of the SC-related sites (of which MU-43 is a member)? I haven't posted anything over there as I'm not really keen to create a new login again ...

or am I missing something (is this already implemented)?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't found a solution other than to have separate logins for each site.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I visit both pretty frequently, but my browser keeps me logged in on both most times anyways, so I don't have to worry about seperate log ins each time.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I visit all four sites daily and never have to login for any of them, but it would be nice to have a way for members not to have to go to the trouble of registering separately for each one. As far as I know, there is no way for me to do that. The sites use vBulletin software, and I haven't found any way to allow shared registration across multiple vBulletin sites.

It's one of the most requested features for vBulletin and has been so for years, but they haven't seen fit to deliver a solution and the third party dev community hasn't come up with one either.

5. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Thanks for the response Amin - guess I'm not the only one who's missing this feature .

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lots of folks going to using Facebook to login. Kind of the new OpenID sort of thing I guess. I have no idea if that stuff works with vBulletin.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    We could do that, but the vBulletin implementation of Facebook login is buggy, and lots of people don't want to use their real name on all the sites.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ugh, I have no facebook account:doh:

I have not submitted to the darkside .... yet... LOL!

Motortrend is using that now, and I hate that. Good thing they kept the old login as well.

Back on topic,

I took the post as "login" vs "registering".

9. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I use Lastpass to manage my logins, works pretty well across multiple computers and platforms. I have noticed that the timeout/relogin on the mu-43 site seems to cycle freequently.