1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

One-Light portraits with the GH3

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by robknight, Apr 3, 2013.

1. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
  2. RK777

RK777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Texas
    Robert
    Rob
    Good write-up in the use of flash. In the spirit of sharing and getting feedback, I will ask a question since discussion is part of the reason for posting and I am curious if other readers see the image the same as I see it on my screen.
    To my eye the images see underexposed and flat. The fill-flash seems to have a negligible effect if at all. I wonder if this an effect of my browser, my color-corrected monitor, or something else. No EXIF in the images, so I'm not sure what they were shot as. Normally fill-flash images are lit with the goal to balance out the exposure. In this case, the background is lighter than the foreground and the subject shadows cause a lot of detail to be lost.
    Curious to hear feedback from yourself and others as to how they see it.

Screen-caps below:

A slightly corrected version.

This is helpful to compare and get feedback for my own knowledge.
    Thanks for the input,
    Robert

3. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the feedback! The screencap you posted looks completely different than the original posted image on both of the screens I'm looking at. I'm assuming it is your browser if you are using a calibrated monitor. It is a striking difference on my screen.
    The flash does not call a lot of attention to itself by design, but the original is not at all as flat as the image you posted. The corrected version you posted looks overly bright and contrasty on my calibrated screens.

Thanks agin for the feedback. I'm curious to see how others are seeing the images...

4. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    rk777's version, while a bit heavy handed, is closer to a proper exposure than the original. at least to me.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Rob - Did you check the histogram of your image? Sometimes it's useful to check the numbers of an image against what you see on a calibrated monitor. Your image appears flat and under exposed.

FWIW, the out of focus background adds less than nothing. It doesn't make the picture and environmental portrait and the light brown horizontal stripe is just distracting. Try checking out the work of the guy, from Atlanta, whose been running One Light workshops for years: Zack Arias

6. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the "tips". I'm well familiar with the histogram, and my color management is not a question. I'm assuming it is a browser issue at this point because the images look fine on every monitor I've checked. I have checked from several students' monitors in addition to my own.

I'm sorry you don't like my images, but maybe you could work on your constructive criticism. I usually try not to sound like a condescending jerk.

Zack is a friend of mine, and he does really nice work.

7. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I'm looking at it on a retina ipad (for whatever that's worth) and it looks a bit dark to me. The woman's face is fairly shadowed.

8. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I decided that I would have a look at this issue from a different angle because of you guys having a different experience than I was having...
    Turns out Wordpress made some of the thumbnails darker for some bizarre reason. The original file that I was looking at looked fine, but in some cases wordpress showed a different version.
    I regenerated the thumbnails for the image and you should be good to go now.

Sorry for the confusion. I haven't seen this issue with wordpress before, but I will definitely keep an eye out for it in the future.

Cheers!

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    That is a gigantic difference, much better now :)

10. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I know, right?! I've been using Wordpress for several years and that's the first time I've seen anything like that...