One lens or a new camera and a lens dilemma...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RenaudVL, Sep 28, 2016.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hey,

I am face with a dilemma.
    I was about to pull the trigger on the 300 Pro and saw that the GX8 hase as been reduced by $700 hers in Canada.
    That means that I could get a GX8 and the Pany 100-400 for the price of the 300mm Pro alone!!!

Tough call

One of my concern is shooting with a big lens with a camera that has the view finder on the side.

Also, I want a pair where both image stabilisation work in tango...

Whats your though on my dilemma???

PS, I often get annoyed by this type of thread and often think "Why do you make up your minds..."

Well, looks like its my turn...

Thanks

Renaud

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    What will the GX8 give you that you don't have with the E-M5 II? If you are shooting a lot of video, or simply prefer the Panasonic interface, that seems like a reasonable option.

But I feel like the 300mm/f4 and the 100-400 are really quite different lenses. The 300/f4 is the one to get if you want ruthless uncompromising quality. The 100-400 on the other hand is much more flexible and easy to use, but will never achieve the same pinnacle of image quality that the 300mm can give you. Is that what you want?

...you can also just get the 100-400 and pocket the leftover $850 instead of buying the GX8 as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Re: your dual IS question. The OIS in the Pana Leica 100-400 will work with the IBIS in the GX8 to give you a dual IS system. Pairing the 100-400 with the Olympus body won't give you that. Maybe you won't need it, but it is a consideration especially for handheld use. I believe pairing the 300 f4 Pro with the EM5 II will give you Dual IS?

So, if you want dual IS, you must have lens and body manufactured by the same company and capable of dual IS.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  4. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    The 100-400mm lens will work better with the EM5-II, I sold my EM1 and tried a GX8 and ended with a EM5-II.

EM5-II has the smoothest shutter of them all ...

Christof

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    @RenaudVL@RenaudVL, your post begs two questions:
    • What kinds of photographs do you take?
    • What do you use your images for?
    If you are shooting wildlife, BIF, etc. the flexibility of a zoom is probably desirable. It can be damned hard to even find the subject with a fixed 300mm lens. It's like searching the foliage by looking through a soda straw. With my zooms, I routinely start wide, find my subject and zoom in.

If you shoot a lot of low light or shoot from moving platforms like a small boat in waves, the maximum in IS is probably important.

If you never print larger than about 16" x 20" and do not try to crop small sections out of an image, differences in IQ will not have any practical effect on your images. You don't need "pinnacle of image quality" even if there was such a thing. OTOH, if you are a pixel-peeper then no lens will be completely satisfactory.

FWIW, here is a shot with the 100-400mm @ 400mm on a GX8 where the Zodiac was getting tossed around so much that I couldn't even frame my shots. Every one was like rolling the dice. Yet many of them turned out quite well, like this one. There is no hint of platform motion. I call it "The Three Tenors."

upload_2016-9-29_13-17-4.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oops. Lens was 100-300mm, not 100-400mm.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX85 and G85 are the new kings in that department. They have the smoothest focal plane shutters on the market, since they are fully electromagnetically controlled. No shutter shock at all (well, at least 90% less, which rounds to zero when you're talking about pixel level softness). With the exception of flash sync, I imagine they compare favourably to leaf shutters.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

already some good point here, but I'll offer one extra thing:

I'm left eye dominant (and left handed) and so with side view finders I'm still mashing the camera onto my face, meaning that its not a problem for "balance" as the camera lens is still fairly central (it is a problem with touch screens that drive me insane).

Myself (*unless tripod shooting) I'd not want a camera as small as that with a lens as big as that. My preference has always been (and yes, I own a GF, and yes I used IXUS cameras too) a camera with a central Eye View and a decent grip for a larger lens hand held.

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I would get the 300 Pro. This is just my opinion but the Panny is to slow of a lens, especially for shooting action. I have and there are much better options for the 100mm to 300mm range and at 400mm the 300 Pro with TC is still a bit faster and better IQ (I personally don't ever need much more the 300mm of reach anyways). If you have problems getting your subject in the VF with a 300mm prime, just practice.....it will eventually become 2nd nature. I played around with the Fuji XE1 and found getting my subject in the VF with my Canon FD 400mm ƒ4.5 attached was really hard because of the offset viewfinder. I have been shooting since I was a small kid and also a military trained snipper and have no problem putting a camera to my eye and having my subject in the frame. With the offset VF I had to correct every time, was just left every single time. Will never buy a camera with an offset VF if I plan on using it with telephoto lenses, with shorter focal lengths it is not really a problem.

My opinion on the dual IS with it's crazy low attainable shutter speeds are mixed. For specific situations it could really be amazing, especially at slow shutter speed panning. But........ 90% of the stuff I shoot with my telephotos are moving so is that crazy IBIS really needed? Don't get me wrong, I love having IBIS and use the crap out of it. But what I have in my EM1 when using my 150/2 with the EC-20 is way more then I really need. It allows me to hold my camera in some crazy and awkward positions to get the perspective I want. Would only need even more for very specific things and would probably amount to less then 1% of the photographs I put on my site.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks guys for your input. Most helpfull

Still not sure, yesterday I was looking at the Commlite adapter with Canon L lens...

11. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Well,
    Just pull the trigger and ordered the 300mm Pro...

Drooling....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    You are right, the newest Panasonic shutters are also very interesting. I think EM5-II and GX85 are both good. GX85 has a very silent shutter while EM5-II has an electronic first curtain, which is even more silent ;-) but you have to enable it first. I am afraid many people are using the EM5-II or PEN-F in default mode which is the mechanical shutter.

It would be interesting to find out if Panasonic has introduces a true electronic first curtain with GX80/G80.

Christof

13. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Hey Guys,

The beast came in today...

WOW

I am always impress be the Olympus Pro gear built quality, it is perfect... On the heavy side, but wow what a lens...

Fist test shots on boring subject are crisp and sharp handheld... Looking forward for real test like birds...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 4