One lens only

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fransglans, Jan 8, 2013.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Just wrote a loooong story but my phone messed things up and everything disapeared. But making a long story short.
    I finally have come to the end of this expensive hobby, photography. After several lenses and cameras I ended up very stressful and frustrated. I have just sold my second body, canon 5d with lenses. Felt so tired of swapping lenses and houses and arranging two sd cards etc. So my final plan for 2013 is, no more hunting, no more lenses. I may suffer from some kind of diseace but i hate options. I want to be restricted and left alone with only one choise. One lens. And for me its the panasonic 20.

No more gas. No more sell/trade/buy. Just one camera one lens one year.

Are u feeling me?

• Like Like x 22
  2. sabestian

sabestian Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    I feel your pain, mate (sold my SLR system and had a few years off from photography). Now it's slowly growing back on me...

Being limited often boosts creativity!

BTW Hallo everybody! :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I shot for years with an Olympus Pen FT, a Zuiko 38mm F1.8 lens and a no-name flash.

There were many shots I missed by not having a wide angle and/or a telephoto, but I don't recall having less enjoyment with the hobby. I simply made the photographs I could and shrugged at the ones I couldn't.

Later on I expanded to Minolta (that X700 was a sweet camera), Pentax (I want a digital version of the K1000), and finally Nikon (when I moved to digital). Nikon got a bit out of hand with gear.

Now, unless new gear can improve my photography, or allows me to get shots that I will actually take that my current gear prevents me from getting, or is simply fun (the 15mm lens cap lens is ridiculous...but fun), I don't buy the gear.

I haven't pared it down to a single lens, but I've cut the number of lenses and bodies down considerably from the old days with my move to :43: Olympus.

I think you can be very happy with the hobby as long as you are willing to "sacrifice" shots that don't fit into the focal length of your single lens choice. You won't be "birding" so very much with the 20mm, and macro shots will be problematical, and wide angle ain't gonna happen. But I would imagine there will be a lowering of tension with no lowering of fun if you follow through with your plan.

Good luck!

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Good luck Frans.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Good luck with that endeavor. I go through gear catharsis once a year, only to take advantage of other people's gear catharsis and end up rebuilding a system all over again.

At least now all of my kit can fit into one bag. well, m4/3 kit.

:(

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    For all the lenses I have I probably use two or three 99% of the time. I can totally appreciate going one lens. More power to you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I can dig it... more power to you for having the will to pare it down to one lens!

I sometimes do really enjoy a single lens kit, just simplifies things and eliminates so many "what if" moments I tend to paralyze myself with. Many times I've gone out with just a 50mm equivalent lens and gotten a bunch of good photos and had a fine time. Unfortunately, I always seem to end up rationalizing myself into more options eventually :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good luck man. Of late I've only been using one lens, one camera, the OM-D ana O15mm (Lens Cap). It is quite liberating not having to make very many decisions, sorta like a worker bee as opposed to a manager. But, unlike you, I have all my lenses and camera bodies for the times I need/want to make managerial decisions.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  9. Whichever way you choose to do it, you've gotta try to enjoy what you do.

• Like Like x 2
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yeah. One lens. One lens per month. I will only buy one lens per month. Oh, and hoods. Maybe a new bag to hold it all . . .

Kidding aside, I know just what you're saying. Too many choices really distract you from the artistic/compositional parts of the process. "One Lens" is kind of a Haiku of photography. For me, it's two lenses right now, the 14 and 45 on the E-PM1 and E-PL5, respectively.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I often leave the house with nothing but the body and 20mm. I wind up having more fun keeping it simple.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I can totally dig it. I admire your courage and willpower!

• Like Like x 1
  13. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thank you all for the nice words and support. Appreciate!

14. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Congratulations & lots of luck. Often I feel very strongly about doing the same.

Best I have been able to manage is whittling down my cameras to the OMD + 4 lenses, X-Pro1 + 2 lenses, Nikon D5100 + 5 lenses... Oh, and a Nikon 1 V1, which I leave around for everyone else in family to use.

I know... Poor effort.

Perhaps writing that down will now give me more courage. I think I must let go of all my Nikon stuff next.

15. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Oh, thats a lot of gear mate! Maybe one system too much, at least :)

16. moschika

moschika Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
    i tend to have and use only 1 lens. not usually by choice but because of cost. all that being said, i am saving for a long telephoto for some nature/wildlife stuff that i just don't think i can get with my PL25. good luck and as long as it's fun...

17. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Agreed. It's the closest thing I have to a real addiction.

18. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    I'd prolly use 35mm on a FF. Or 17mm on m4/3.

Tapatalk.

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There's a lot to be said for simplicity. While it's always nice to have exactly the right tool (lens) for the job - it's also possible to adapt and be creative with the lens you have. I no longer own the 20, so for me it would be the 25. It might be an interesting project to choose a single lens and use it for a month or six weeks. Good luck with your year - it sounds like an interesting challenge. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  20. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    i just started using the m43 system. I have 4 lenses that I own for that system the Kit lens that i got here used and 3 c-mounts. Including the cost of the body and the 4 lens setup I am at about $300 for my kit. I primarily use the 35mm f1.7 for all my shots. The kit comes out when my oldest (4) wants to take some pics. So my m43 kit is pretty cheap.. my Pentax gear is a different story. I had a total of 7 lenses. From 10mm to 100mm. I ended up selling 3 of the limited lenses I owned and conteplating selling the last limited to bring my kit down to 3 lenses... The LBA can get crazy at times...https://www.mu-43.com/images/smilies/Generic/smile.gif

• Like Like x 1