one in a million shots

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What about the scalawags or the ignorant who will always think it was Photoshopped? That has to be very annoying to a practicing photographer.

RajC

Mu-43 Regular
Bolt x 2

While the shot is good, I'm not otherwise impressed. Maybe it's because a similar image could be created via photo editing software? Call me jaded.
It looks like the photog anticipated the lightning, which is important but not difficult. Photogs should always be anticipating action.

I do appreciate you sharing the pic though.

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
Okay, so I FINALLY saw the lightening... That said, while it's definitely a "one in a million shot", it's not a particularly GREAT shot! Career defining?!? Meh... :hmmm:

Thanks for sharing!

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
It's a nice addition, but not necessary, IMO. I've shot landscapes that had storm clouds in the background, but not the focus of the scene, and once, lightning appeared and I only realized it when I got back to develop the shot. It was a nice addition, as it turned out, but the photo would be a good one without it. In this particular case, it might even be a slight distraction for some tastes. But I'm still very much a student when it comes to elements in composition.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
If you shot it, I'm sure that you would have posted up here as quick as possible- I know I would have!

Are those grapes as sour as you say? :wink:

I think he's not sourgraping but more like the spellings. Somebody spelled it lightening, another said lighting :D

Wake up guys.;)

As for the photo, I did not even see the lightning until I read the article:eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
What about the scalawags or the ignorant who will always think it was Photoshopped? That has to be very annoying to a practicing photographer.

I still think it was photoshopped.

It is not so much that the chances of you catching lightning at 1/100th of a second are very slim, it is the fact that the lightning is perfectly positioned in the photograph.

Dont you think a thunder'bolt' in the middle of a Usain Bolt photo is too good to be true. I do.

Untitled-21.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
Except for the fact that there really were thunderstorms happening at that time, and a bunch of photographers were all trying to actually get lightning strikes to appear and had dozens of cameras set up taking remote sequences for several minutes including the entire 10,000 meter race prior. Also, remember, when you are world famous, the sheer numbers of photos being taken of you, someone, somewhere, is going to get a shot that has something of unique interest going on. Just the odds. It's a well documented shot. The thread isn't discussing whether it happened, but whether the shot is a really worthy of being a 'historical' shot.

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
Here's an article with the photographer's remarks:
Bolt From the Heavens for Photographer | Daily Relay
Here's a news article that indicates that a number of photographers were attempting to get lightning shots. The guy who got the shot had five remote cameras going. Maybe there were a dozen or dozens of cameras elsewhere. I really don't know. I was surmising, though. I've seen setups at events of much less significance and it's incredible the amount of hardware dedicated to capturing, hopefully, "that one glorious moment".
Usain Bolt snapped winning the 100 metres - against a REAL streak of lightning | Mail Online

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry, but although it's a nice shot, the headline is utter BS.

It's not even remotely one-in-a-million or 'career defining', esp not when compared to the other photographs there.

Eh. Anything to sell magazines, I suppose.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Except for the fact that there really were thunderstorms happening at that time, and a bunch of photographers were all trying to actually get lightning strikes to appear and had dozens of cameras set up taking remote sequences for several minutes including the entire 10,000 meter race prior.

Sure.... it would be pretty dumb to photoshop in lightning if there wasnt actually any on the day. Ben Johnson won the olympics didnt mean he wasnt on drugs.

So I still think it was photoshopped...

Hey the 'press photo of the year was photoshopped' so no big deal....

http://canonmalta.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-2013-world-press-photo-of-year-was.html

Latest threads

Top Bottom