1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

One Day I'll Make A Great Image At This Spot

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nueces snapper, Jul 12, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is a 3 panel stitch with my 12mm. I opened it in ACR even though its a jpeg just to punch it up a bit. I've been 'stalking' this location for three years. I have to be there just after a rain. What this particular image is lacking is sky. I need a much more dramatic sky. I also think about 5 ft of elevation for the camera would help. I don't know. I'll keep working it. :smile:

• Like Like x 5
  2. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Looks like a great start to me :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Well, it already seems like a great start, but I know how you feel about that elusive "effect" you're seeking. That texture in the ground, however, seems much more interesting than a dramatic sky would. I like the idea of more elevation for the camera.

I'll say this: I'm a sucker for vertical landscape panoramas. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

But I want to see a killer sky reflected in those fissures. :smile:

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great shot, but I know exactly what you mean... being a neophyte photographer I frequently end up frustrated that the photos I come home with don't reflect the photographic vision I had, or the memory of what I saw that I wanted to capture. Inspiration to keep learning and trying, I guess!

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I think trying at different times of day would be a great help in make those hills/trees less silhouettey and make it easier for you to expose for the rock....you are shooting into a fairly bright sky so some of the other features are a little dull. Trying with the sun at different angles could (and often does) make a world of difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Very nice shot- it reminds me of this one I took in Banff:

[​IMG]

I'd love to go back some day and get it right!

• Like Like x 1
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Talk about perseverence! Great effort! I can certainly understand how frustrating it is when a photographic vision doesn't materialize. I had those moments too, which prompted me to go back to the some places to take the same shots over and over again, but THREE YEARS is something else!

Next time, why don't you bring a water truck, so when you see the cloud that you envision, you just dump load of water onto the ground! :rofl:

Another question: Have you ever seen the cloud that you envisioned at that particular site, rain or no rain?

• Like Like x 1
  9. nueces snapper

Not at this site. Did you see the sky that iconindustries put up on the 'sunset' thread? Something like that only in the yellow/orange phase prior to the red phase when Brady captured it.

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/share-sunsets-9902/index10.html

I've caught a few sunsets like that back in my large format days. I may even have them catalogued somewhere. :smile:

10. I want to catch a sunset over the Regency Suspension bridge. But no, had a gray sky when ever I was there.

11. nueces snapper

I could double my chances at least, if I was willing to get out of bed an hour before dawn and be there for the sunrise. I am just not that dedicated of a landscaper. :tongue:

12. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I know what you mean- but I'm always glad that I got out there once I'm done shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nueces snapper

Shoot, I'm glad I'm doing what I'm doing about 20 minutes after my first cup of coffee. It's just the getting out of bed part 2 hours early that has me bumfuzzled. :biggrin:

14. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I agree with your statement that elevation (of the camera to the subject) would also help. It's a very cool spot!

• Like Like x 1