1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

One day I will learn

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I have my EM-10 set up to take fairly nice pictures ( IMO )
    I went out yesterday to do some bird shooting . So I changed a few settings
    added in camera contrast and a touch more sharpening .
    DOH :dash2:Good but not as good as before

One day I will learn

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    You only learn from your mistakes, not from your successes. When you stop experimenting and growing your photography knowledge base you might as well sell everything and take pictures with your cell phone.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lettermanian

Lettermanian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Surrey BC, Canada
    I was in Iceland in Feb last year, and I was taking some once-in-a-lifetime photos (though I hope to return again - loved it!), and was shooting in very white, flat-light conditions. I thought the pics were ok but we were in a hurry, so it wasn't until I was on the plane home that I had time to go through the pics more carefully. I was extremely disappointed with how some of the shots turned out: very noisy and grainy and lacking contrast. It wasn't until I went through the camera's menus (a GX7 at that time) that I discovered that the iso was set at 6400! Then I remembered that I had been experimenting with shooting the Aurora Borealis the night previous to our last day, and indeed had left the iso setting on that high. So from now on I always scan the settings on the screen and double check the SCP on my EM10ii before shooting. Lesson learned :doh:

4. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    for my GH3 I set my C1, C2, C3 for specific reasons. This way for crazy moment as you run and gun you have a quick "baseline". I've never missed a beat doing this type of methodical strategies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lettermanian

Lettermanian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Surrey BC, Canada
    Yes I should have done that on my GX7, but I was pretty far north, so was probably suffering from oxygen depletion. Or something similar ;)
    I am still figuring out which settings I want in my "MySets" for my Oly.

6. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    OK with you if I use that on my tombstone? :hiding:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    That's basically what I do. I use Olympus bodies and have a couple of standard mysets. One of my routines is to choose an appropriate myset before I go out. It's still easy to change a setting in the field and forget to reset it. We've all done this kind of stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I had a successful day , yesterday.
    Some more in Camera settings . I saved there settings .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    John
    Wow - I guess that's what they mean when they say tack sharp.

10. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I don't know why but this image makes me want to have a beer.

11. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Learning from one’s mistakes.

I use Microsoft’s Outlook, which comes with Microsoft’s Office Suite, to keep track of my personal and business contacts. I have used Outlook for well over 15 years now as it allows me to tie everything together such as contact information, appointments, location used, image file location, any email correspondence we may have had dates and topics of phone conversations as well as one image of the contact.

Yesterday after a shoot of a young lady, who aspires to become a model, I reviewed the shots taken and noticed some mistakes, errors in judgment, I made, such as not taking enough close ups, as well as improvements in posture and lighting that could be made to better feature the young lady. I made a list of these items and put them into the comments section of my Outlook listing for her. That way, during our next session I can make some suggestions for her posing, set up our outdoor shoot to maximize sun position for the sites we select and know what angles do not present her well. I call these inputs my “lessons learned”.