One Camera, One Lens, One Year

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by khughes44, Jan 1, 2015.

1. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    There'a an interesting discussion (among many) over at The Online Photographer. It's based on a exercise intended to help develop develop one's photographic "chops." Mike Johnston, the site's editor, is an experienced and insightful writer and photographer, and his thoughts, and those of his readers, carry a lot of weight with me.

He proposes an exercise where the photographer uses only the equipment you see in the title above. I have messed around with it for the last couple of months, but have decided to follow the program more earnestly starting Jan. 01, today. I'll be shooting with a Panasonic GX7 and a 20/1.7 for a full year.

If anyone else is interested in finding out more, here's a link to the article:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ra-one-lens-one-year-the-digital-version.html

Best regards and Happy New Year,
    Kevin

• Like Like x 4
  2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Good luck! The 20 is one of my favorites and that seems like a great combo to shoot for a year. I will join you for now ;) with my A7 and 50/0.95!

Oh, do phones count? I used to never use them but I have become used to it now and the exercise would be much harder without my camera phone.

3. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    nice project. I tried that with that same lens too. I held on for 4 months :) And then I sold that lens, and boy I miss it sometimes. 40mm fov is a sweeet spot.
    good luck, and post some samples here in this thread will ya ?

4. qppoiz

qppoiz Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    NJ
    I've thought about this before, but I like taking portraits with off-camera flash just as much as landscapes with my m43 gear.

I also feel that, for me at least, this might be easier to do with film. That's why I just bought a small Olympus XA rangefinder to use exclusively for a while, or at least attempt to!

5. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    The XA would be perfect for this exercise. I considered it when I saw one on C-List for $100; newish in the box. But I started down this road in early November and have already learned a lot, so no going back. The A7 and 50/.95 would be a treat too; small enough to carry everywhere.

6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    A full year is a helluva long time to dedicate to one setup. A month seems more manageable.

I recently been doing similar one-month dedications: In November, I shot raw exclusively (previously, I always shot JPEG). For a few weeks in December, I stuck with the Olympus 25mm lens to evaluate how "do-it-all" it really is for a video review I was producing.

A whole year though? That's a long time :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think a better idea would be a theme/ project for a year with the aim to produce a print at-least a wk of good to high quality. Not a big fan of the hair shirt one cam one lens idea, I do think working towards making a good se of work based round an idea and it could be any from trash to diamonds, helps you focus more than the one cam route and it leaves you to carry on doing your other photography with no worries.

8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    If I were forced to participate that's the combo I'd have gone for. Good luck with it!

9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'm doing this kind of exercise for 1 month on the Photo Lounge forum using a GX7 and a PL25. My first serious camera was the GF1 and the 20mm lens and it was all that I had for several months and I used that lens even after I've got the PL25. In the end I sold to use the PL25 more, but I never did as I just consider it to be another lens rather than my main lens. this is why I am embarking on this little exercise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    More power to you guys. I could never do it. I like to take too many varied photos. I like to take low light candids, so I need my PL25. I like to take pictures of my dogs running about outside, so I need a telephoto. I want to add tools right now, not subtract them, but hey, if it makes you enjoy your hobby more, then go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    For me it was an Olympus PenFT with a 38mm lens...in 1969.

Had no choice, that combo was all I could afford for years.... :biggrin:

Hope you stick with it, Kevin - definitely hones your chops.

How about keeping everyone posted as to how it goes?

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Given my current setup? I'd prefer not to stick with it for a year, but if I get the chance to upgrade this year, I'd probably give it a try with new shiny gear!

I'm beginning to think that my GX1 (which is my "serious work" camera) could use an upgrade to GX7... that's my hopeful birthday present ;)

13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    One other thing for those who haven't actually read the TOP article - the exercise encompasses MUCH more than limiting ones camera and lens; one must shoot every day (as much as life will allow, anyway); one must make one print per day, etc.

It's a 13 month regimen, not simply a limitation on gear.

If you haven't taken the time to read the article I would urge you to do so.

Regards,

Jim

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting. Of course, it doesn't say you can't buy anything else for a year, so I'd be OK.

15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    No, Steve, it doesn't say that.

But The Princess of the Exchequer does :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  16. For many people this might be just what they needed for inspiration. Not everyone of course, but that's because we're all different.*

* Personally I can't do these restrictive projects. The point of a hobby to me is to do it in a way where I can enjoy it, not to force myself to take a photo every single day. I see that as being as big a problem as having to use just one lens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It is intruiging, but restrictive for some travel destinations for me (mostly of wildlife is involved). Tough choice.

18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I read the article. It is an interesting project. Just not for me. I wish you all the best.

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It is both an awfully restrictive "lesson" and possibly a troublesome one - I'm not sure I'd willingly do a "365 prints in a year" as this requires. A bit expensive! Sure I'd love to really stretch the Pro-100 with a pile o' 13X19" prints but I could buy his Leica recommendation with the $$ that would take!

20. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Restrictive and liberating at the same time. I have decided to only make one print per week. I have pretty much been doing the exercise since November and there's a lot to like about it. It forces you to think and encourages you to go out and shoot. All in all it's not a lot different from when I got my first camera, an Olympus Trip 35 with a fixed lens. It was my only camera for 9 years!