1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

One brand lens on other brand body - ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 1, 2011.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am new to the micro 4/3 world and shopping for what to get. Are there any issues with fitting one brand of lenses on the other brand of bodies? The only thing I have found so far is that each brand uses a different anti-vibration setup with Panasonic's built in to the lens and Olympus' built into the body. Thus Oly lenses would not have any on a Panny body - correct? Any other issues? thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The image stabilisation issue is about it. There may also be some firmware upgrade isues with some lenses. I mix and match all the time with no problems.

Gordon

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hello and welcome,

Well done, I'm new to :43: myself and that's a question I've been meaning to ask for ages.

D in W

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    One other small difference. Panasonic lenses on Panasonic bodies also get digital correction for chromatic aberration (generally seen as color fringes, usually purple, on the edges of dark items against a very bright background).

Oly lenses don't encode for this correction.

5. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Another issue is with in-camera correction of distortion and chromatic aberration; this varies from lens to lens and body to body.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it won't be an issue for the most part. Now to just decide which ones and then saving up the funds!:biggrin:

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I would say go for the best lenses, and don't worry too much about the mix and match, just keeping an eye on the IS issue (for instance, the Oly 50-150 will not have IS on a Panny body).

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Distortion - Panasonic and Olympus lenses correct distortion on all Panasonic and Olympus bodies - this is part of the RAW metadata and if you use one of the mainstream RAW converters (ACR, Aperture, Silkypix) you will never see the uncorrected image. JPEGs are also corrected.

CA - Panasonic lenses are corrected on Panasonic bodies. Panasonic lenses are not corrected on Olympus bodies. Olympus lenses are not corrected on anything.

AF - everything will focus on everything.

Stabilisation - Panasonic lenses with OIS will be stabilised on Panasonic bodies. The OIS will also work on Olympus bodies if you want (better for video), or alternatly you can use Olympus IBIS with Panasonic lenses. Olympus lenses will be stabilised on Olympus bodies, but not on Panasonic bodies. Old legacy lenses will also be stabilised on Olympus bodies, but not on Panasonic bodies.

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Updating lens firmware can also be weird.

To update an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body, you need the special version of the Olympus firmware that supports Panasonic updating in the body.

To update a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body, you need the special version of the Panasonic firmware that supports tethered updating on a computer.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Not an issue, really. Both versions are released simultaneously. Kudos to Olympus and Panasonic for maintaining common firmware update service.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally I like the lack of CA correction on Olympus bodies. It gives the images more of a film look as opposed to being overly digital.

12. I hadn't attempted to update the firmware on a Panasonic body or lens yet. Having come from the Canon procedure of loading the firmware on a memory card and doing everything in-camera, the tethered approach that Olympus uses still feels a bit weird and somewhat precarious (what happens if the connection drops out?)

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am pretty sure I updated Panny lenses on Oly bodies through Oly's Olympus Master software. Am I mis-remebering???

14. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    Correct me if im wrong but i do believe film dont suffer from CA.

15. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    CA comes from the optical properties of lenses; it doesn't matter if it's film or digital.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For some reason, though, CA seems to be more visible on digital.

17. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have tried updating a P body with O software, but I've updated an O lens on P body and the instructions I read from both manufacturers were pretty much what I wrote in the previous post.

That would be interesting if the P body updates with O software.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm sorry. I mis-typed. I updated P lenses on O bodies through Oly Master. Sorry for the error.

19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Yes it does. Film is a completely flat surface, whereas a digital sensor is anything but - this makes CA on digital much more visible.

20. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Umm. Is that back to front. I've never seen a completely flat film.

Gordon