1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

One benefit of the "same old sensor" in the EP3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP3 threads here and elsewhere (not even DPR threads!) are not loaded with
    "EP3 vs. EP1"
    "EP3 vs. NEX"
    "EP3 vs. GF1"
    "EP3 vs GH2"

with endless pictures of what's on people's desk, or what's in their back garden.

(full disclosure -- I did one post of EP1 vs. EP3, so I'm guilty).

The nice thing is that people already know what the sensor is about, so most all of the posts are about how the camera handles, how it helps or hinders your shooting, trying new lenses on it (like the 12mm) and just general shooting posts.

IMO, this is closer to what photography is about -- not pixel peeping and supposed DXO mark measures, but how does it handle, and how about those new lenses, and actual subject matter!

In one way, it's kind of refreshing.

Just thinking out loud, I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I know what you're talking about, as I lurk around DPR.

I prefer this forum SO much more, as everyone is fairly polite and there aren't any mass clumping of trolls ;)

It's easy get info and people just, well- posting pictures and talking about the fun they get from using their equipment (shocking, I know).

That's my little thinking out loud rant

• Like Like x 1
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    in a local forum, people put down mu43 cameras on a regular basis, it's all about the NEX for a 'small compact system camera' or a DSLR for great image quailty.

there's virtually a set school of thought in those places and with no openness or acceptance of new ideas. it's kind of stagnant in a way that i would like to see a camera community be like, therefore it makes me appreciate mu43 as a community much much more.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Eff 'em.

• Like Like x 8
  5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

Not making any broad judgments here but in my experience, it's mostly entry-level APS-C shooters who get overly critical about the MFT format. It's like they have to justify what they have invested in.

A few of the more experienced DSLR & FF (35mm equiv) shooters were the one's who either own :43:, or introduced me to the system. They seem to have a better perspective on MFT format's benefits and limitations.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My thoughts exactly. I've never been particularly concerned about what others think of my choices - in cameras, cars, motorcycles, the company I keep... whatever. And the older I get, I find I care even less. Criticism from others says more about them than you. If MFT works for you, that's that ONLY criteria the format needs to meet.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This thread went in a different direction than intended.

All I meant to say was that with the sensor staying the same, there are few endless strings of pixel peeping 100% crops comparing cameras, but rather more constructive posts on how youe EP3 might help your shooting.

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I am on a local forum and using mft keeps me out of the usual bs(Canon vs. Nikon, crop vs. ff, etc). I SHOOT PHOTOS, NOT A BRAND!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ray,

I must say I'm suprised by this post.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disconcerted...or both.

10. taikuodo

taikuodo Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    TBH. The only downside of micro four thirds I've seen is most notably the gained depth of field that not everyone, including myself, like.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'm not aware of any trolls, which I find very refreshing about mu43.

As for the advantages of m43, I don't miss lugging around 30lbs of EOS gear! On a recent extended trip I did have to smile at the weighted down Canikons.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The NEX vs MFT hostility exists because each is a real threat towards the other. Thus the owner of one automatically gets defensive of the other.

Both MFT communities and NEX communities don't view Samsung, Pentax, or Ricoh as a threat thus members of both communities are generally less hostiles towards Samsung, Pentax, and Ricoh based threads

:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I guess you missed some MFT folks here calling me a troll for pointing out some NEX benefits...:wink:

14. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I'd say it's not quite the same sensor as the E-PL2/E-P2, etc. The E-P3s pictures feel a bit different to me. Not in any way that I could define or be held to.

What I really like about this sensor is how fast it allows the camera to be! That while keeping some pretty darned good image quality with body and lenses that aren't big honkin' tired lunks.

Image quality? It's darned good. We chase too far down a diminishing returns rabbit-hole when we look at ISO 12800 this or that. Heck, I'm thinking about one of the Pentax Qs because the image quality looks pretty good, and it looks like so much fun to shoot!

Bottom line: The E-P3 is the most fun digital Oly to shoot ever. Especially with the 12mm lens.

15. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    What's a Ricoh? Don't they make tennis balls?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I think the nex line is really cool but I personally liked the MFT setup better ie. a built-in flash. On another note I thought having two manufactures would make it more affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

18. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

My love affair with micro 4/3 has deepend since getting the EP3. It is a very good upgrade from the EP2 ( which served me wonderfully). The immenent release of some new Oly glass has me wishing the 45 mm was here already, it is a focal length that will be excellent for much of my photography. I am surprised Olympus or Panasonic haven't released a fast quality zoom in the 14-60 or 12-60 range. The first to get one to market at an affordable price should have long lines of enthusiasts lining up for it. I couldn't be happier with my camera system it is a joy to use.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i mean, not to detract from the original post, i think the older 12mp sensor is becoming something familiar for our users, so most of us are quite knowledgeable to what we are getting out of our cameras. people already know what to expect from all those reviews of the ep1 (with pixel peeping etc) a year or so ago so it's more on the enjoyment of the newer camera itself and pictures. (not to say that olympus shouldnt be thinking of new improvements and such for their new bodies)

i think this really helps to weed out the people that are photographers and those that just want the newest bodies, features, and bragging rights.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Two primary reasons why I purchased a second film body was because I wanted the following:

-Ability to autofocus old & new lenses
    -Multiple autofocus points
    (And a couple other less dominant goodies) :smile:

So yes, "features" are quite relevant to the individual photographer...