Once again, a review site drops the ball (pandering to advertisers)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichA, Mar 31, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Again, an issue is found with a camera, not by the review sites who've had the cameras for a while, but by a USER, who only had the camera a DAY! This is getting really annoying, these sites are too interested in SHILLING for camera manufacturers than doing the right thing and reporting issues. The Fuji white orb thing is a glaring example. Not ONE review site or magazine mentioned (in their reviews!) it until dozens of user reports surfaced.

Read down till you get the the simpering admission by Dpreview staff.;

My OM-D is noisy!: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm sure it's no big deal, but group behavior and mass hysteria will surely turn this into "Olympus going out of business".
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I've read through a few threads and talk about a "mountain out of a mole hill". The DPreviewer even says "its not a issue" that's why it was never said. Plus they have not done a REVIEW yet only a PREVIEW.

It is 99% the IS system, same type of noise some IS lenses make, and unless it shows up on movies it is a ZERO issue unless you have some sort of super human hearing.... The click of the shutter is going to be 100x louder so I don't think a very slight hum is going to interfere in any quiet environments you might be shooting in.
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    So the motto was" whistle while you work" has now been revised by Olympus..." hum while you shoot"
    Is this an issue, or just the first complaint as people realize a new camera won't solve all their problems with photography?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I didn't read the review because I really don't care what DPR thinks of a camera or a lens....in this case I was at a demonstration at a local store (Henrys' in Toronto) and was very pleased with what I saw. I handled the camera and thought that it was quite well made with a shiny new tens and the combo grip with extra battery....I think that this is a great addition to the Olympus brand and it will sell like hot cakes!!!.....for me it is too heavy.....I will stick to the Pen 3.
    My thoughts are that this new camera is a miniature E-5 on steroids!! Full of good things that the e-5 doesn't have!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    A large percentage of the people who post on the DPR forums are simpering morons who have nothing better to do than obsess over minutiae, usually of products they have never even seen let alone owned.
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I want to get t-shirts printed that say "I am easily swayed by the masses". Would I sell a ton of them?
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That is not a very nice thing to say. But it is an accurate thing to say.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Rich, those are quite serious and accusatory statements to be making with only a modicum of hearsay on another camera forum. Does the noise exist? Probably. Is it a deal-breaker? No, not at all. With EVERY camera or lens release, there are often issues found. Many of them are very real issues, like banding or incompatibility with a certain camera body. However, there are other issues where users find meaningless issues with a camera, because they feel like they've dropped a lot of money on a product, and they are unhappy with a certain aspect of its operation. In 99.99999% of cases, it's a nonissue that has been completely blown out of proportion by the vocal minority. This concurrent thread applies:

A few examples of these nonissues are:
    -Nikon 70-200mm apparent flakes in the cameras, even though they were optical illusions and didn't affect the performance of the lens in any way shape or form
    -Lenses, especially superzooms and constant-length macro lenses, that change focal length depending on the distance: "I paid for a 200mm lens, but when I'm focused to the closest distance possible of 9 inches away, it only has the equivalent focal length of a 150mm lens! Therefore, I demand a 25% refund on price, since I was given a 25% shorter lens!"

And now, this nonsense about a slight hum. Chances are not that the review sites are shills, but that an anal user is taking something that isn't an issue, and yelling about it on the forums. If you'll notice, you will find OTHER owners, like CharlesTokyo and kiri, acknowledging that once brought to light, he supposes that yes, the camera does do that, but overall it isn't worth mentioning, because it doesn't really affect anything and doesn't seem out of the ordinary. If it doesn't really affect operation, and it isn't really noticeable unless you're looking for something to complain about, then I wouldn't worry about it. There were just as many nonsense issues with every digital camera I've ever owned or considered owning. While whiners were busy finding minutiae with the D7000, everyone else was too busy out making photos that were never possible before with an APS sensor DSLR.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    If you have to ask, then yes :D
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think there are a few issues here.

One person's acceptable noise can be another person's unacceptable. These new cameras are being loaded up with new electro-mechanical devices that perform in ways that we are unfamiliar with at first. As has been mentioned, Panasonic's OIS lenses hum quietly whether the OIS is turned on or off. I remember a few years ago I briefly had a Sigma 18-200mm OS that did the same thing, but it took a fair bit of digging to determine that this was a normal characteristic of the lens. No review ever mentioned it, and it was only from reading through user commentary that I found any reference to it. It wasn't a problem as such, just unexpected.

The other issue is people spending money pre-ordering a new camera, sight unseen, based purely on what is published on the internet. If they didn't want to discover any unwanted surprises, dont pre-order. Wait 'til the camera hits the stores and try it before you buy. It's not as if the noise is something that you wouldn't notice by handling a working camera before you buy, unlike the whole Fuji orb issue which you wouldn't discover until after you'd handed over your money. Pre-ordering a camera and being an early adopter is not without risk; that is a the price of wanting to get a new camera as soon as possible. Flaws large or small can be found in any device once it reaches the hands of the users. Why should the E-M5 be any different?
    • Like Like x 9
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's not really the DPR reviewer's call to decide if it's an issue or not. That's a decision for each buyer or potential buyer, and it's hard to make that decision if you're not informed. If DPR was aware of it, they should have mentioned it in the preview, even if they indicated that, in their opinion, it's not really an issue.

No other camera, IBIS or otherwise, seems to have a constant hum. This would seem to be unusual enough to merit a comment. Failing to do so only encourages people to question the integrity of the review and the degree to which DPR's reviews are influenced by the need to get free review samples, obtain advertising revenue, and sell-through to those advertisers.

I'm not saying that DPR is not objective, only that situations like this are going to raise questions.
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    You're blaming DPReview for not including something in a review of a camera that they've not yet reviewed? Based on a 'problem' that the person who initially reported considers to be at most a minor nuisance?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like hearing good old Aussie common sense Nic!:thumbup:
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'll grant you that it is odd that many review sites have tried this camera without commenting on the noise while several new owners have independently commented on it.

On the other hand, I think we ought to take into account a few things:
    • Many of those review sites (including DPR) haven't published a review yet and only had the camera for a brief amount of time that they were focused on accomplishing certain tests (ISO tests, etc).
    • The fact that you can hear a noise under quiet circumstances doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem. Some review sites may have heard a quiet noise and considered it to be perfectly fine. Andy from DPReview specifically mentioned that he doesn't consider the noise to be a problem.
    • Owners tend to be obsessive compulsive in a particular way, often looking for anything they can call a flaw. The first thing I noticed about my iPod Touch was that the display isn't perfectly centered in the screen. First thing I noticed about my Logitech webcam is that there is an asymmetric gap where it pivots. You'll never find those things in a review.

All in all, I think you're way off base in accusing DPR of simpering to advertisers for this. The Fuji orb thing you brought up, btw, is an example of something DPR missed initially but then emphasized (I would say overemphasized) when they became aware of it.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    It also might be an issue that wasn't apparent in the pre-production models, at this point it's all theories. Best bet would be to go to a store once it's available and decide for yourself, I use this site for entertainment and maybe a little enlightenment on products. Internet reviews must be taken with a grain of salt.
  17. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Well its their site and I'm pretty sure its still free to go there so I would say it is their call on their site. No reviewer/previewer mentioned it... that should say a little about the severity of this "problem".
    If you read through photozone or other lens reviews you will find there are some lenses that do hum all the time.
    Are people really trying to say that olympus bought off every reviewer to not talk about about this??? Is anybody actually going to return or cancel an order over this??

18. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

This kind of reminds me of the rattlesnake noise issue with the PL 25mm on PEN bodies. I put off trying the 25mm for months because of the reports by users and then I tried one on my E-P3. I walked out of the shop with the lens. Is there a noise? Yes. Is it as bad as the user comments here and elsewhere seemed to indicate? No.

The reviewers tended to mention the noise and comment that it's not too bad. They were right in my view.

So, is this particular noise a similar issue? Will it be a deal breaker for some users and something easy to live with for others? After my experience with the 25m, I think I'll wait till I get a chance to try one before I get too concerned about what some people are saying.
  19. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    too busy enjoying taking photos too notice a hum

too busy enjoying taking photos too notice a hum on the E-M5 I tested, come to think of it if put my ear to my laptop/computer or switch off the TV my clock makes a low hum as does the central heating thermostat....

the "noise" is off the 5 axis stablisation...

I can not think of a single shooting situation in which it will affect your photography.

"fed up of dum dpreview threads saying I have to use a canikon for wedding photography"
  20. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

What I find particularly sad is that someone should apparently be scouring other online forums for adverse comment about Micro Four Thirds products then posting them on here for the sole purpose of creating a negative discussion.

If you own an E-M5 and have something useful and/or constructive to say about it, your experience will be warmly welcomed here. If you don't own one and have no personal experience of the reported features or alleged problems, please don't bother reposting here what others are posting somewhere else for no valid reason other than to stir things up.