1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ona Prince or Berlin Owners?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dornblaser, Mar 1, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Are there any Ona Prince or Berlin Owners here? I use mainly inserts in my messengers bag but they often do not carry enough. I am wondering if the following would be fit in these bags: E-M5 ii, O12-40 (both mounted and unmounted), 2 - 3 of: O12, O17, O25 & O45. iPad Air. Sunglasses cases, etc. The problem that I have my current system is that if have more than one prime with me I too often have to rearrange the dividers when I mount or unmount the 12-40. I think that it is time to go back to a dedicated camera bag. I do have a Timbuk2 Snoop that works but I prefer the size and looks of the Ona bags.

2. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Post-Script: I am feeling a little reconciled that I will have to use a bigger bag.

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Glue two rear lens caps back to back together and mount two primes on them. You can then store them in one vertical compartment without a middle divider. Saves rearranging dividers, and it's faster to get at the lower lens, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks, I have read that advice in other threads as well.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've been looking for a bag for a pretty similar kit (E-M5, Rokinon FE, O17 or P25, O12-40, maybe a P45-175). I've been looking at the ONA bags as well, but I'm wondering if the Bowery might be big enough for me. I think I've all but decided it would be -- at least until your thread set me back to wondering.

It all makes me wish there were a site similar to Camera Size, but for bags. (I'm sure there's a $1M idea there somewhere)

The images of the Bowery on ONA's site (see below) make it seem like it's not big enough to accommodate this kit, but I think that's mostly due to the size of the gear they've loaded.
    bowery_interior_large. bowery_interior3_large.

A search on this forum uncovered a picture of the Bowery packed with M43 gear which swayed my opinion on the Bowery's size. He was able to fit two E-PL1 bodies (not much smaller than the E-M5) along with an O14-42, O25, O12, O45, O9-18. He even had room for a VF-2, a couple of hoods, a flash and a pocket tripod. It appears that some reconfiguring of the dividers (along perhaps with Ron's suggested lens cap hack) would allow it to do what you're asking.

Additionally, here's a blog post titled The Ultimate ONA Camera Bag Buying Guide that you might find of interest, comparing the size of the various ONA offerings

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just thought I'd share what I found. Based on what I've found I think the Prince Street or Berlin would easily fit your kit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks.
    Great idea! I wish there was an easy way to put up a website that allowed us to configure bags in advance.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Works great, bought 2 cheap caps and hit them with a little crazy glue.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I looked at the Bowery about a month or two ago. In the end I went for the Retro 5 because it will hold my complete kit and I like the organization pockets. There is a new Tenba series out, the Switch. The littlest one, the Switch 7, might work for you. It's a little smaller than the Tenba DNA 8 / Donke F-5XB both of which are smaller than my Retro 5. It's also a little shorter and length but a little taller than the Bowery.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Switch-Bag-7-Black-Leather.aspx

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Does anyone own the Prince or Berlin bags? The Bowery looks like a nice bag, the 12-40 is the wild card for bag size.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sorry David, I missed the iPad Air in the list.

I don't have either of those bags but I do have the Domke F-810 that just a little bigger than the Prince. It holds my D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 2x SB-910s, 70-200 f/2.8, plus a 10 inch Android tablet. and that's with out touching the front pockets it has that seem similar to the ones on the Prince.

So I can't image either of those would not easily hold what you want to put into them.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Ever since the Berlin first came out and then was immediately sold-out this bag(s) have spoken to me. It is not a need, but a want. For the most part I use either a Barbour or Filson field bag with an insert. 25086. 70232-main-242.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I saw the Steve Huff review of that bag, it looks fabulous. So do the Fogg bags.

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If you decide that your on-the-prowl bag is mainly for lenses and does not need to accommodate the camera or spare bodies, that can change your needs.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Have you considered the Filson + Magnum collection? Seems like the Harvey would definitely fit your kit as might the Camera Field Bag, which seems to be similar to your MFB + some padding. It's not clear, though if the CFB has a spot for your iPad.

Some others to consider:
    But really, if the ONA Berlin speaks to you, my best advice would be to give it a shot. Worst case, it doesn't work for you and you return it, but I'm not sure you're going to be happy with anything else until you try that one out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That's were I saw it first as well. His review of the Retro 5 is what tipped me to get it. Really happy with it. I actually like that it's the size many similar bags would have space for an iPad Mini that I would never use. The only reason I know the tablet will fit in the Domke is I also use that bag as my tech bag when my wife and I travel. Tablets (I have the Note 10.1 2014 and she has the Mini), chargers, etc all fit nicely inside.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It does need to accommodate at least one body.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The Harvey is too big and it does not look like the CFB has an internal spot for a tablet.

Thanks, good suggestions.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, kinda figured that was the case...just wanted to make sure you were aware of the options.

This whole discussion has made me come to the conclusion that what I really want is a TARDIS bag -- one that's bigger on the inside than the outside.

20. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My wife's company's London has a conference room that you enter through a Tardis. They have coffee service in an Airstream. It is a cool office.