1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ONA Brixton or..?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ted, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hey guys, the last year I've used a Saddleback leather satchel for uni and I love it. It's an awesome bag and it should have lasted me forever, probably would have if I got a large instead of a medium, BUT, I got a medium, and since I've started carrying a 13" Macbook instead of a tablet to uni it's just too tight a fit. I need something bigger, then I came across ONA camera bags. They look like they'd be able to carry my laptop, drink bottle and a few books but also work as a camera bag for days I'm not at school that's a little more stylish than my Lowepro. They're expensive and the quality doesn't look even close to that of my Saddleback (which did cost more but it's worth it I think) but selling the Saddleback should cover it and I'd come out close enough to even, with a lesser quality bag but at least everything would fit in it. Plus I could throw my EM5 with the 17 1.8 attached in it all the time too and not worry about it getting destroyed, which stays at home with my current bag unless taking it out is the point. I'd be ordering online as no one down here stocks them, so basically I just want any opinions some of you may have or any alternatives? Thanks!

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm also in the same boat. I just upgraded form an 11" MBA to a 13" MBP, and while it will fit in the very front of my large SB satchel, it just doesn't really work (also leaves it pretty unprotected from stuff inside the bag). I'm also debating an Ona Brixton, but haven't really decided yet. I'm leaning more towards the waxed canvas over the leather... while I love my saddleback bag, it's heavy as hell.

I'm interested to see what you end up with!

3. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hi Repp, I much preferred the look of the canvas ONA to their leather as well! In the end though I couldn't get away from Saddleback and bought a Front Pocket Briefcase in dark coffee brown (same colour I had the medium satchel in). It has more than enough room for all of my stuff, and then I got an extra small Timbuk2 Snoop insert to compliment it. I actually leave this in 95% of the time (even if I'm not bringing my camera) as the dividers are great for keeping my personal items separate and my sunglasses away from my keys, etc. While I haven't used it for this yet, I also plan on taking it bushwalking with me rather than just throwing my camera in my bag (CamelBak BFM), which I usually do (to save room). I will post some pictures later on tonight to show you, I thought this thread had died.

As you mentioned with the satchel though, this thing is HEAVY. While it is fine for carting back and forth to uni each day, I'm yet to spend a day in the city carrying it around. I may end up getting one of the really small ONA bags for street photography or those days where I just want my camera with lens attached and one extra. It's never ending..

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Ted, while it will need some work to fully stretch out, and probably a bit of leather conditioner... I've managed to get the 13" MBP to fit in the back inside pocket of my large SB Satchel. I had to strap the bottom of the bag to the sofa in order to pull the laptop out again, but eventually, the leather should adjust. And yes, it is horribly heavy after carrying it around all day, for weeks, even without the laptop in it. Though I will admit, I do have a bit of lust for that new front pocket one! More pockets!

I've yet to find a good divider that isn't overkill for how little M43 stuff weights, and the fact that I'm not tossing it out of a moving vehicle (1/2" padding is overkill). So recently I've been throwing lenses in neoprene lens pouches and calling it good.

I've also used a Lowpro Adventura 100 as an insert/mini camera bag inside the satchel, and as a smaller carry around option. And while it's great for a GX7 and 14/20/45 prime lens trio, its not really large enough if I want to take a zoom. So now I'm looking for a bag that will let me take an iPad mini, a few lenses, and 1 body. Maybe the Ona bowery? Not sure yet.

Attached Files:

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have the ONA Brixton and Princes St - both canvas - the leather ones are a bit too heavy for me. Quality is extremely high and it passes extremely well an important bag test for me in that it looks better as it ages.

An MBP 13 should fit perfectly in the Brixton - I have a 14" Razer Blade and that fits but it is tight. The Brixton also has a sleeve at the back that can take an ipad.

As a pure M43 camera bag it is probably overkill. The pockets are also a bit too deep for M43.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Reading the OP's posts, I would suggest not looking at a dedicated camera bag. Adding water bottles, books, notebooks, etc. really changes the equation. I have a number of bags, too many really, but I often use a messenger bag* with an insert. I often/always carry an EM-5 w/ O17 in a wrap or Tenba BYOB 9 or small Crumpler. I carry a combination of books, iPads, notebooks, water bottle, etc., as well. Flexibility and lightweight bags are the key. Saddleback leather but it is both HEAVY and non-forgiving.

* - Filson medium field bag, Barbour Tarras (canvas), Chapman Felt, Rickshaw bags (various), and, one Timbuk2 which I can seem to like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Anyone ever check out http://www.wotancraft.com/home.php?lan=_en

The Scout and Raven look good for m43 and the Spacejumper looks interesting for general use as well. Avenger is my favorite, but thinking about a scout.

There have been some used Ona bags at good prices on eBay lately. Not the one I like best though, the Peince Street.

Do you find the lack of many small pockets and compartments a deficit with some of these bags?

8. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Here are those pictures I promised, better late than never! This bag is less than a month old but I have been trying to soften it as much as I can, it's already done wonders but I can't wait until it's a year old and I can start making progress on getting it softer than my satchel was when I sold that. In the front section there you can see the Timbuk2 Snoop insert, this carries more than enough camera gear for when I don't want to take a dedicated bag and works as a divider for my personal belongings (phones, keys, wallet, sunglasses, etc) when I'm at uni. Back pocket is for my Macbook Air and any books I may need. I wouldn't want anything bigger than this for a daily carry and I still may get something smaller to compliment it when I don't need my laptop or any books.

11083758_10152638303761862_810433977499920010_o.
    10572240_10152638304061862_5326690183611413317_o.
    11129955_10152638304736862_7673856748496767_o.
    1978455_10152638313286862_6752461996952876233_o.

Forgive the little bit of dust that got on it in one of the pictures, it's brushed off now :blush:

• Like Like x 3
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Very nice! Thank you for sharing. What camera gear does it hold?

10. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    I'm using it as a modular setup, so if I'm going somewhere and want to take my camera but not too much gear I can pick and choose. It easily holds my EM5, 17 1.8, 45 and 60 macro though along with my laptop and any other little things that I want to throw in there. I was hoping I'd be able to fit my Manfrotto BeFree in the back of it, but it doesn't quite fit (so close!). I could always tie it to the bottom but I'll probably get a Gorilla Pod or something to just chuck in for when I'm not sure I'll need one.