On1 Photo RAW 2019

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I'm sorry, but I don't think you fully understand what a raw editor is doing. Watch the video I posted above where the presenter talks about why all raw editors process images slightly differently.

This is one of the main reasons why you hear so many people gripe about switching editors. They have learned how to get their current editor to yield the results they want, or they have become accustomed to what their current editor give them by default. After dinner I'll take a look at some settings, and see if anything jumps out at me.

You should consider yourself lucky then, because ever editor I have ever used has processed raw images differently. Some times the differences where subtle, other times glaring.
I know how it works and what it do

Video above talk about result, the noticable result in different tones/colors etcetera...not big difference in exposure.

Have never heard anyone that have had gripe switching RAW conveter due to big difference in exposure like one stop difference in default picture compared to how the picture where exposed in camera.

I would understand if ON1 always gave one stop overexposed default picture compared for Photoshop but that is not the case.

No i dont have same flexibility with above file in ON1...its one stop overexposed from default compared to Photoshop...if i just bring down the exposure all five stops in both ON1 and Photoshop i get a picture thats one stop darker in Photoshop...sure i can get same result in ON1 but not by just bring down the exposure slider.

I might have been lucky all years before but i have never seen this big of a difference in exposure between diffrent RAW converters default images when it comes to the exposure ...nor have i seen any test that have shown this. There can be fairly subtle difference in exposure/overall brightness between the default pictures, but not a full stop of exposure difference between the default picures and inconsistent results.

Histogram from devloped default picture in Photoshop matches how i have exposed in camera and so dose Capture one and DXO, only subtle difference in overall brightness, colors etcetera. ON1 is not even close when it comes to that.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
I installed ON1 yesterday with the hopes of using it as a Lightroom replacement. Installation was surprising (no option to choose an install drive). Starting it up was even more surprising. I'd selected my default home directory's Pictures folder but ON1 was showing me the contents of my RAID drive that I store my Lightroom photos on. This is before attempting any kind of migration or pointing it at that location myself. Also, all of my Lightroom keywords were populated in the browser's metadata column.

I can only surmise ON1 looks for Adobe's preferences files on startup and uses them as hints. That it does this without any warning (or asking for permission!) is problematic and left a bad taste right away.

Maybe it's a good editor?

I imported a batch of RAW files from my camera (Oly EM1mkii) and was instantly puzzled. As others here have pointed out, the RAW support in ON1 is questionable. First, it's missing most of my camera color profiles – Camera Portrait and Camera Muted show up, but Standard, Neutral and Landscape were all missing. The built in ON1 profiles are all boosting the image in surprising ways.

But, like others have said, that's fixable with the sliders, in theory.

Tuning my images felt a bit awkward. Without going into too much detail, I felt like the image ended up over processed and unnatural looking after a bit of work. I don't think I like their sharpening algorithms. Some of the color processing feels a bit ... off. Maybe it's not using 32 bit color space internally? Maybe it's a different base profile? I don't know, I need to experiment with it some more.

The other commenters on this thread make me think this isn't going to be a viable replacement with talk of "perpetual beta" and "slick marketing with no substance".

Disappointing. :(

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ok, I made a profile in ON1 that approximates my processing in PS. Which one is which. This is a difficult image due to the range of brightness and colors of the feathers. Cropped as close as I could get them, exported @ jpeg 12. 100% crops

A:

B:

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
First, it's missing most of my camera color profiles – Camera Portrait and Camera Muted show up, but Standard, Neutral and Landscape were all missing.
These are not really "missing".
All the "camera color profiles" exists only with Olympus RAW software.
All the rest are only "simulated" profiles.
Some editors try to simulate it, some other do not, and it's always at best a simulation, not a exact match.

However, having a good color profile is something very important in a RAW software, if you don't want to spend too much time in post-processing.
If the profile is not to your taste, it can be very tricky to find a starting point that works for all your pictures.

That's one of my problems with Capture One for instance. I know that many people find the colors very good on C1. I don't - not for my E-M10.
There's a lot of other profiles you can choose, but I didn't find any that works everywhere. And I don't want to have to try different profiles for each picture.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
These are not really "missing".
All the "camera color profiles" exists only with Olympus RAW software.
All the rest are only "simulated" profiles.
Some editors try to simulate it, some other do not, and it's always at best a simulation, not a exact match.
Fair enough. They do have approximations of the in-camera profiles in Lightroom which do a pretty good job.

You make a good point though, I did download the new Olympus Workspace and have been meaning to try it out. Again, I don’t think it’s going to eliminate the need for Lightroom, but it is another tool in the box.

thanks for the reply. :)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fair enough. They do have approximations of the in-camera profiles in Lightroom which do a pretty good job.
I'm not a big fan of Olympus colors so this is not something I try to do anyway :)
I bought Huelight profiles for Lightroom that I find pretty good, I sometimes switch to Adobe default which are already quite good.
I rarely use Oly simulations in Lightroom.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
I'm not a big fan of Olympus colors so this is not something I try to do anyway :)
I bought Huelight profiles for Lightroom that I find pretty good, I sometimes switch to Adobe default which are already quite good.
I rarely use Oly simulations in Lightroom.
for me, they're a known quantity. A starting point for processing that I can get reliable results with. The adobe profiles are very good as well.

The ON1 profiles looked completely blown-out to me. As a starting point for processing, it would be "undoing" a lot of the crushed contrast and over exposure.

Additive vs. subtractive editing, I suppose.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I am considering ordering ON1 Photo Raw 2019.5. They are offering it for $49.99, including the "skills bundle." I imagine the annual upgrades will not come at a similar price though.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
It is a really good price; whenever it drops similarly low I toss around the idea of picking it up, but so far something has always held me back. I might test it again since they added GRIII support.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just be aware that the import capability is no where near as flexible as other DAMs in Lr, C1P, or Photo Mechanic, there is no way to use your own ICC or DCP camera profile and, lens corrections are based on a LensFun table and do not use correction that may be in a raw file.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
I did buy it last night. For $49.99 I will have something new to play with.

My planned workflow is to continue to use Olympus Workspace as my main DAM and for photos that just need some gentle processing. For files that need more work I will probably make a duplicate of them in a separate folder to work on in ON1.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
ACK!!! :doh::doh::doh:

I guess I should have known it was time for the annual upgrade but now they are also adding new products. As far as I am concerned they have never had a stable release of Photo RAW! How can the software engineers have time to work on something else?

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
You guys know you don't have to upgrade every year right?

Also, I've never had any instability issues on my machine!

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
You guys know you don't have to upgrade every year right?
No. No requirement to upgrade each year. However, development of On1 2019 ceases and we users are left with a buggy product. I have now paid for On1 three times hoping for a solid stable release. I really like the overall look a concept of the software; that's why I continued to upgrade, hoping that I was helping support further development and fixes that would lead to a stable program. I'm afraid that I have now gone as far as I'm willing to go down that path.

I'm glad that the program works well for you but I still encounter issues that just make it too frustrating to use regularly. I just wish the company would slow down rolling out new features long enough to let the software developers get caught up fixing the glitches. If they ever do I would consider coming back.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm glad that the program works well for you but I still encounter issues that just make it too frustrating to use regularly. I just wish the company would slow down rolling out new features long enough to let the software developers get caught up fixing the glitches. If they ever do I would consider coming back.
I'm a developer by trade, and the issue you are seeing might not be related to their code. When a lot of people get random crashes/instability, its usually related to os/bios/ driver updates or lack of.

What os are you running?
what are your hardware specs?
are your drivers, os, and bios up to date?

I've had issues with my machine lately , because my motherboard manufacture and Microsoft have been pushing out Intel micro code updates fast and furiously lately to deal with all the vulnerabilities. For about 4 months I lost the ability to overclock my cpu thus having my cpu's performance drop by 18%.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
No. No requirement to upgrade each year. However, development of On1 2019 ceases and we users are left with a buggy product. I have now paid for On1 three times hoping for a solid stable release. I really like the overall look a concept of the software; that's why I continued to upgrade, hoping that I was helping support further development and fixes that would lead to a stable program. I'm afraid that I have now gone as far as I'm willing to go down that path.

Agree completely. Just like last year.

I'm a developer by trade, and the issue you are seeing might not be related to their code. When a lot of people get random crashes/instability, its usually related to os/bios/ driver updates or lack of.

What os are you running?
what are your hardware specs?
are your drivers, os, and bios up to date?

I've had issues with my machine lately , because my motherboard manufacture and Microsoft have been pushing out Intel micro code updates fast and furiously lately to deal with all the vulnerabilities. For about 4 months I lost the ability to overclock my cpu thus having my cpu's performance drop by 18%.
I wish, but that's not it.
Programs that work fine on my machine:
Lightroom, Affinity Photo, Photoshop Elements, ACDSee, Exposure X4, Darktable, Raw Therapee, Vegas Pro, DxO....

Programs that randomly get slow, stop, or crash:
On1 Photo Raw

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom