On1 Photo RAW 2018 released

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just did a *very* quick test on On1 Photo Raw 2018.
(I tested Luminar, Alien Skin Exposure and On1 photo raw, so I didn't have time to get a lot in each software).

My impressions for now are quite positive.
There seem to be some nice tools... local adjustments seem OK (there are not a lot of options though).
Colors seem consistent between my Olympus & Panasonic bodies (that's something important for me).
Fringing correction is fine (it seems to be the same algorithms than Lightroom... C1 has a better correction but only works for purple, not green).
There are some things that could have been better (for example, perspective corrections seem very basic. lenses are not detected automatically, you need to choose them in the list. DAM seems quite basic too)

I will certainly take a closer look.

Among all the program I've tested yet, it's probably the one which gave me the best impression with Capture One (maybe just a bit behind C1)

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I just did a *very* quick test on On1 Photo Raw 2018.
(I tested Luminar, Alien Skin Exposure and On1 photo raw, so I didn't have time to get a lot in each software).

My impressions for now are quite positive.
There seem to be some nice tools... local adjustments seem OK (there are not a lot of options though).
Colors seem consistent between my Olympus & Panasonic bodies (that's something important for me).
Fringing correction is fine (it seems to be the same algorithms than Lightroom... C1 has a better correction but only works for purple, not green).
There are some things that could have been better (for example, perspective corrections seem very basic. lenses are not detected automatically, you need to choose them in the list. DAM seems quite basic too)

I will certainly take a closer look.

Among all the program I've tested yet, it's probably the one which gave me the best i

Perhaps you could have spent a little more time learning the program, or given the manual a quick look, before posting.
Lenses are detected automatically, but you have to turn the option on in the preferences dialogue, by default it is turned off,(some photographers prefer to do lens corrections manually) along with lots of other preferences when you do your initial setup after installing the program, at the last count +- 55 M4/3 lenses were included. As for local adjustments not having a lot of options, what exactly are you missing? have you tried clicking on the gear icon in local adjustments? The same goes for perspective correction, you have, vertical ,horizontal, rotation, scale, pincushion, falloff, what more would you like? I wish you more success and satisfaction with your closer look.

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The same goes for perspective correction, you have, vertical ,horizontal, rotation, scale, pincushion, falloff, what more would you like? I wish you more success and satisfaction with your closer look.
Automatic correction based on image analysis, or tracing horizontal & vertical lines on the picture to get instant correction.
Imho, it's much easier & quicker.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
auto lens corrections for m43 lens happen if the lens is in the LensFun lens table. The Olympus 300mm Pro and Panasonic Leica 100-400mm are not. Don't know how many more m43 lenses are missing.

The only editors doing m43 lens corrections by using the raw file data is Adobe in Lr and ACR and supposedly SilkyPix. Others are using table of their own corrections (DxO) or tables of corrections from third parties such as LensFun.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
auto lens corrections for m43 lens happen if the lens is in the LensFun lens table. The Olympus 300mm Pro and Panasonic Leica 100-400mm are not. Don't know how many more m43 lenses are missing.

The only editors doing m43 lens corrections by using the raw file data is Adobe in Lr and ACR and supposedly SilkyPix. Others are using table of their own corrections (DxO) or tables of corrections from third parties such as LensFun.
This is the umpteenth time I have read this, so I too will repeat myself, out of the hundreds of photos I have posted on this site, all processed in On1, can you please point out which ones have not had lens corrections applied, or in your opinion need better lens corrections.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lenses are detected automatically, but you have to turn the option on in the preferences dialogue, by default it is turned off,(some photographers prefer to do lens corrections manually)
I doubled checked and the option is turned on.
The lens is detected (first line of the Lens Correction Tool) but the correction profile choice shows "Make: No match / Lens: No Match".
I have to select manually the lens make / model for the correction to be applied.

Another funny thing is that I can apply the "Samyang 7.5mm MFT fisheye" correction to all my pictures except the ones taken with the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for which the boxes are grayed out.

Capture One also reads correctly the embedded RAW data.
Reading embedded RAW data is the insurance that any lens will be supported from day one, with a correction profile made by the manufacturer.
(except lenses with no exif data)

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Seems like an promotional article, not a review.

On the "about Joel" page:
"He works with great affiliates like Arizona Highways, ON1, Topaz Labs, Macphun and others to have more avenues for working with those wanting to pursue their love of photography."

There's nothing wrong about promotional articles, but I think he should state at the top of his "review" that he works as a On1 affiliate.
Robin Wong has been criticized for much less and his reviews of Olympus gear are a lot more personal than this one.

Last edited:

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is the umpteenth time I have read this, so I too will repeat myself, out of the hundreds of photos I have posted on this site, all processed in On1, can you please point out which ones have not had lens corrections applied, or in your opinion need better lens corrections.

Kindly show me the entry in Photo RAW supported lens list for the Olympus 300mm F4 Pro. If you look through the Panasonic lenses, try to find the 100-400mm they did with Leica.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 4.19.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 4.19.21 PM.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 89

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find the problem for lens corrections.
My Panny 25 mm f/1.4 is not detected when it's used on an Olympus body.
The same thing happens with the other software using LensFun.

Other lenses are correctly detected. Don't know why this happens.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Have you signed up for the On1 webinar next Monday? then you will have a chance to put your questions straight to the On1 coaches.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm just on trial so I'm not sure I'll be able to access webinar, and I doubt I could be available.
Anyhow, for lens corrections they just using LensFun, so they 100% rely on what's in the database.
If the database name is not the same as what's in the exifs, they don't recognize the lens.

With Panny bodies, the exif says "Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 Asph.", with Oly bodies it says "LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25/F1.4". The correction is available for the 1st one.
I guess the solution would be to contact LensFun (they just have to copy the settings)

My main issue with LensFun is that it is a user database: users take pictures & LensFun produces the profiles based on what's on the pictures:
Calibration images upload
From my point of view, profiles have to be made with targets under controlled conditions, not just by pointing anything with a straight line.
I'm not saying the profiles are bad... they can be OK, but there's no warranty they are. If the photo taken to calibrate the lens are badly taken, then the profile won't be very good.

Having said that, it's probably not a big issue, it's just a thing this software has to make progress on.
On1 photo raw is quite new (compared to dxo, lightroom or capture one that are the most other interesting raw software to me - all of them are more than 10 years old).
So they can't do everything now.
LensFun was probably an "easy" way to get good enough lens correction for most people. Doing better probably requires a lot more time.

For a relatively young software, the features provided are already quite good.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some other quick questions about things I didn't find neither in the software nor the (pretty good) user guide pdf:
- is there an history of the modifications somewhere?
- is there a way to customize the "before" version of the photo for the "before/after" comparison? (I like to use before/after comparisons all the time, but never with the real "before" picture - the one with no settings)

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I agree with everything you are saying. I know I'm lucky that all my lenses are in the database, but like you said I too don't find it a big issue, With my most used lens Pana 12-35mm f2,8, I did my own comparison test with On1 and ligntroom 6 at various zoom levels, the results were virtually identical, and not only that, I could get the same results by applying manual lens corrections, all that happens is that a slight amount of barrel distortion was removed. Funny enough I was yesterday reading an in depth review of the Pana 100-400mm, all the sample raw files had a caption saying "developed to taste in ACR no lens corrections applied" and they all looked perfect to my eye.
As for your comparisons, just make versions of the same photo, then you can compare up to four at once, I think you can find all the improvements and updates on the On1 website, but I think you have to log in first. There is no history stored at the moment something that they are working on, but you can see all your work in the right panel, in the order it was done, and switch each element on or off to see the effect. experiment, experiment.

Last edited:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's no such thing as "no lens correction applied" in ACR for m43 lens.
Built in corrections are automatically applied and cannot be deactivated.
Maybe the reviewer didn't know how ACR works very well.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Experimenting with, retouching portraits in On1 2018, and I like the results I'm getting. after a quick develop I'm going into effects for, blemish removal, skin smoothing, teeth whitening, lip highlights, eye whitening, and eye sharpening, all with local adjustments.
P1020127 copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Someone posted that an undo of several stacked pre-sets resulted in an undo of everything. They rated it a deal-breaker.

Does this sound correct?? Or did they overlook an "apply" step?

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Someone posted that an undo of several stacked pre-sets resulted in an undo of everything. They rated it a deal-breaker.

Does this sound correct?? Or did they overlook an "apply" step?
definitely not, a pre-set can be a stack of filters, each filter can be adjusted, or turned on or off, or removed from the stack individually, mostly a pre-set is selected because of a certain look, but is only a starting point and can be tweaked or filters added or removed as the user wishes. The apply step is each filters on/off button. Do you think I retouched the above photo all in one go with no mistakes? of course I had to go back and often redo a filter, and if I had to start from scratch each time I'd still be at it now. If you are interested watch some of the many instructional videos out there. Some of the best ones are by Scott Davenport. I believe Anthony Morganti has a new free course "Mastering On1 photo RAW 2018" being released next week.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom