On1 Photo RAW 2018 released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Nov 9, 2017.

1. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I have today downloaded and installed On1 Photo RAW 2018, and it's looking good.
    When On1 2018 was first announced a few months ago a lot of people complained on this forum, about having to cough up again only one year after the release of On1 2017. I too complained, but not here, I wrote my complaint to ON1, They wrote back saying they valued me as a customer, and included a $50 coupon, this I used to pre order On1 2018, so all in all my update was only $29 and I don't mind paying that much, especially as I really like the software and the results it produces.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    IMHO, things still missing:
    • Browse having import/ingest so that it can import from cards....not just scan existing folders and subfolders. Without these features...how it be a Lr or Aperture replacement?
    • m43 auto lens corrections based on raw files. It was previously promised and LensFuns is a pathetic substitute that is missing lenses released over a year ago.
    • Layers should not be a separate destructive module. Adding adjustment or image layers should be non-destructive without needed to render files.

3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I downloaded and installed the free demo version. When I open it it loads a page with tutorials that can't be closed or deleted. Have uninstalled it.

4. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    It crashes on one jpeg file. Other software have no issues with the jpeg file. Then it says there is an error with the file and excludes it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Part of On1's marketing push is for folks wanting to leave Adobe. But note that they never say that there is no import feature set in the Browse module to read in files from memory cards, create new folders and subfolders, rename files, and fill out IPTC fields. Much of that is a given using Lightroom.

Switch to ON1 Photo RAW 2018

6. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Just downloaded 2018... with anticipation that they would have included:
    • full screen previews - without any side, top or bottom menus or tabs showing... just the photos
    • full and quick support for a 2nd and/or 3rd monitor
    • upgraded lens profiles to catch up with the Oly Pro glass

Sadly none of the above came to fruition.

I have posted votes on their 'wishlist' as well as posted enquiries on their Facebook group page... only the monitor question has been answered by ON1 with a "stay tuned" reply... seems to be a common way of dealing with things these days doesn't it?

7. pondball

@mcasan@mcasan Whether I'm in LR or ON1 or Exposure my workflow always starts by importing directly to my specified HD in a folder structure that I have complete control over. Most of the courses (online or otherwise) I have followed advise using this strategy. Very few advise importing directly from SD to App.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    But... LR lets me do exactly that. I'm importing into my folder structure and naming scheme (granted, somewhat limited, but it does what I need). It's not "in" the app at all, but a very clean workflow.

9. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Jeffrey Swank
    I'm on the fence here
    Does anyone know if On-1 supports NIK as a filter

10. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    You mean like this? in browse. just hit the tab key, and adjust size with the slider or CTRL +/-. page forward or back to cycle through your photos keeping full screen size, also hide the taskbar if you wish. On1 2018.JPG

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017 at 6:27 AM
  11. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    Short answer yes. see below. On1 2018 o2.JPG
    On1 2012.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia

13. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I agree with the video, although I have the Nik collection and it can be used with On1, I hardly ever use it because like Mat says, On1 effects and presets can replicate or improve the Nik apps.

14. pondball

no... I mean without all the side bars and menus... just the photo... this is a feature that is sorely missing in ON1

15. pondball

so this is what I want to see...
    StagorPhoto.JPG
    just the photo and nothing but the photo... Alien Skin's Exposure X3 has this feature as does LR... and a few other too... so why can't ON1? EX3 also supports a 2nd monitor very very easily (within the Preferences with a single button click) while ON1 does not.

16. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Totally lost by what you are saying. Importing via Lr or Photo Mechanic... creates folders and subfolders in the file system. Any browser or app can see them, open the files...etc. This is how a referenced library/catalog works. I would never do a managed library/catalog where images sit inside a database such as used in Aperture, Photos, or the new Lightroom CC.

17. pondball

I've been using ON1 for several years and what I've found is that Matt talks a lot. His videos, while they can be instructional (this one is not!) can almost always be cut to a third of the length that they are. This one is a mere promotion for his course... it's an advert at best! IMO, over at ON1 Hudson Henry is the "go to guy"... he is "the man"! I usually get the feeling Matt is more about promoting himself than the software, perhaps the reason he is only a guest at ON1 now as opposed to one of the mainstays. Other guests there, like Blake Rudis are much more to the point.
    In the past I was always a little pissed at ON1 for focusing on LR as much as their own product and Matt is as guilty of this as any. If I wanted to know more about LR I'd head to a number of other sites... and yes, I spoke my mind directly to ON1 about that. I couldn't understand why if they had such a great product they spent so much of their time bringing in guests to talk about LR and PS integration. Show me ON1 or show me nothing at all.
    Probably sounds like a rant but it's not... check out Affinity Photo or Alien Skin Exposure X3... they don't spend an inordinate amount of time on competitor's products like ON1 does. Show me what you've got that's so great, not what the other guy does or doesn't have.
    I'm still on the fence between ON1, EX3 and Affinity. Each have their pros and cons but imo each one is missing just a couple of things that would make them a complete package, and an alternative to LR. Come on folks... step up and give us the whole enchilada.... please!!

18. pondball

I don't disagree... however Aperture was able to use either Managed or Referenced libraries... and to some extent Photos can be used that way as well.

I was referring to the manual process of moving your photos from the SD card to folders/HDs you have created from the finder... not from within the app itself. Again, most of the courses/resources I have been through suggest this as best workflow. Not saying it's the be all, end all but to a tee they all say to choose one method and stick with it.

And yes, I realize all files can see the folders etc (ie the Browse mode in ON1 can see the same HD/Folder/sub-Folder/.orf as EX3 or Affinity Photo can see). Perhaps it comes down to my needs not being as great as a Pro photographers requirements for a fully managed Library(s). I am tending more to using keywords, flags and ratings as I build my shoebox of photos.

19. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Jeffrey Swank
    What about vervasa I use the "U-point" technology