On1 Photo RAW 2018 beta now available

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Oct 6, 2017.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Affinity Photo is better...

• Sad Sad x 3
  2. @datagov@datagov
    You prefer Affinity Photo, Ok, but why? Can You give us pro/contra arguments, defending Affinity Photo?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. datagov

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Sure. I've used photoshop (expensive), gimp (complicated), ON1 Photo RAW (limited) and found Affinity Photo to be the most powerful, easy to use, and inexpensive option for both windows and mac. Wish it had a linux version but I can use it in a virtual machine. RAW conversion quality is not as good as Capture One, but output from TIFF is excellent.

Especially nice is the way it handles stacks, HDR, and panoramas. It also does a great job with frequency separation.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. sesser

sesser Zen Master Subscribing Member

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    I'd say Affinity and On1 aren't really in the same category and target different needs/users. On1 is targeting people looking to abandon Lightroom while Affinity Photo is clearly targeting the Photoshop crowd. They are two fairly different programs with some overlapping functionality, although, I don't have much experience with On1 so I'm not completely knowledgable with its feature set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Affinity Photo does not support a full workflow starting with files on a card that need to imported, renamed, put into folders....etc. It just assumes the folders of images somehow exist. At least Photo RAW gives you a browser and the ability to define albums.

We should see a import feature on Photo RAW 2018. They have already hinted at it.

6. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I just installed the 2018 beta version and am not liking the new interface at all. The side panels are huge and take up well over half off the screen. You can of course collapse those panels but I'd like it much better if they were scaled down a lot. Performance overall seems better than the 2017 version. I'll be checking out the new features, will likely upgrade but am hoping they tweak the UI.

7. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    Just grab the handle and scale the sliders to what ever size you want, also they can take up less screen than before because the sliders name is now on top and not to the side, that's one of the reasons they made the change, to give more of your image.

8. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I have them moved to their smallest size - they are larger than the 2017 version.

9. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    The fundamental problem is font scaling. I'm currently testing it on a 12" tablet with a screen resolution of 2160x1440 - for that to be useful to my eyes I use the default 150% font scaling. I can put it down to 100% and things are better except that things are to small to comfortably view the screen.

2017-10-07_050949. 2017-10-07_051011.

10. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
  11. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    With 125% font scaling I get reasonably sized panels.

125 percent.

12. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    Like I said before, you can change the size of the right panel sliders independently of your preview pane, and they can take up less real estate than the 2017 version.
    I have never heard anyone recommend a 12inch tablet for photo processing.

13. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Like I said, they are sized as small as they will go. For weekend trips the tablet works great - high res color corrected monitor, fast Windows 10 machine! I should add that with the smaller screen, the secrete is to sit a little closer to it than I do with my 24" monitors at home. :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  14. datagov

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Correct. I use Darktable as a Lightroom replacement, to sort all the files and decide which ones to work on in Affinity. Most of the time, Affinity output is superior to Darktable, especially when I use Olympus Viewer to transform ORF files into 16-bit TIFF and then work on them in Affinity. The colors, textures, and sharpness using that method are far superior to any other RAW converter I have used except Capture One (which is on par).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike, could you say which tablet you're using. Right now I have a Surface 3, but am thinking of upgrading to the latest 2017 version.

16. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Sure, I was using the Surface Pro II that I bought new for a while. I've picked up a refurbished Acer that has 8GB memory with a 256GB SSD and includes the keyboard which to me is quite a bit better than the one I had to pay $100 for the Surface. The monitor is bright with good colors. It's an i5 processor, performance is very good with everything, well maybe not LR. I'm very pleased with it.

17. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    I'm having issues with the export function of RAW 2018. More often than not I'm just getting a progress bar that never moves and I have to force close the program. 2017 is working normally.

18. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I have been playing with 2018 beta all weekend, and I am really liking it, especially the new features like panorama stitching, HDR, and the ability to use luminosity masks in the effects module. So far I have encountered no problems everything seems very stable. Sorry to hear that Michael above is having some issues with exporting, In the review below someone else mentions issues exporting from the resize module.
    Here is a link to an independent live review of On1 2018 beta posted yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  19. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Other than the export problem I'm liking what they've added - the known issues list online indicates that they are aware of export problems. I guess it's not everyone though. I've tried the pano stitching and it seems to work pretty well, haven't yet tried the HDR tool. I would really like to see export using EXIF info (destination folders by capture date for example).

• Agree Agree x 1