On1 photo raw 2017

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Major new update, RAW 2017.5 will be released tomorrow. 08 June.
Dan Harlacher and Hudson Henry are showing the all-new ON1 Photo RAW 2017.5 this Thursday at 10am Pacific (U.S.). See the new features, new workflows, and ask questions.

Last edited:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Let's hope it includes the promised DAM! I'm tired of going back and forth to the Finder to manage my assets!
I hear ya @Bytesmiths!

IMO... ON1 announcing a DAM before it exists is no better than the old vapourware software wars of a few decades ago... until it became "illegal" to announce vapourware. Not sure why this didn't apply to all pre-announcements of any product that just don't exist.

DAM is not something that will come easily and I suspect the first issuances will be buggy, frustrating to use and will in all likelyhood spark some wonderful love/hate conversations.

Coming Soon! is not a term I find very promising at all. There appear to be a plethora of definitions out there for the word 'soon'. So, personally I'm not holding my breath, so much so that I have been diving back into LR (argh, ack :eek:) and have spent considerable time and a few bucks on some Creative Live courses just so that I can do a fair comparison between LR and whatever soon to be announced DAM sw does eventually arrive.

And if the vapourware doesn't pop up soon I'll probably just use LR as my DAM and be more than happy to use Affinity Photo, RAWPower, ON1, Luminar and others (probably in that order) as either standalone or plugin editors. If I wait too long for any more promises I'll probably be so long in the tooth I won't remember where my computers are let alone where I stored my photos on them!

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Just finished installing the latest On1 Photo Raw 2017.5
after a quick play about,
Looking good so far, all my panny and Oly lenses are included in lens correction.
The new details pane makes sense having sharpening and noise reduction together.
Being able to stack presets also good.
For photo culling the new compare option is also a plus.
Plus everything, sliders, jumping from modul to modul etc. feels slicker.
I haven't tried the L/R imigration tool yet, but all in all very pleased.

tflovik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Eirik
I have also installed latest version of ON1, i have done some testing of the lens correction and it looks like the correction does not apply automatic. I have to manually select the lens used to have the correction applied. Tested with Panasonic G80 and Olympus 12-40 PRO/ PL 100-400. I cant see that i do anything wrong, i have also watched the new video about lens correction to see if i had to do anything else. As far as i can see there has to come a fix to get it to work automatic, but at least is seems to work fine when i manually select the lens.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
Anyone can share the trial link? I tried the one from their site. And all I get is infinite loop of reloading. So weird.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I opened the program and clicked on check for updates. Downloaded and installed. Took a long time to finish the download out here in the sticks.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
So I manage to start download. I've to use Windows. Just couldn't get it download on Linux.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
So it doesn't use the built-in profile from the raw file! And it doesn't have profile for Nocticron, PL100400.
Too bad, I had hope on the software but I guess I'll stick with LR.

FarFromSane

Mu-43 Regular
So it doesn't use the built-in profile from the raw file! And it doesn't have profile for Nocticron, PL100400..

Not sure I understand you. For me, it auto selects the correct lens I'm using.
So far it's identified the 40-150 pro, 12-40, 60 macro etc.

Is this different than the lens profile in the Raw?

tflovik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Eirik
So it doesn't use the built-in profile from the raw file! And it doesn't have profile for Nocticron, PL100400.
Too bad, I had hope on the software but I guess I'll stick with LR.
You have to select the lens manually then correction work. But i have no idea how to make it automatic apply the correction. The video from ON1 about lens correction show the correction being applied atomatic but thats not the case here. Maybe someting wrong with the programming for m43 cameras.

tflovik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tom Eirik

Yes the lens is identified but the correction is not applied until i manually select the right lens from the menu.

Last edited:

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Yes the lens is identified but the correction is not applied until i manually select the right lens from the menu.
Then the lens data is not in the metafile of the raw photo, check the photo for lens used in another photo viewer that shows meta data.
I think you will find that where it says lens used, the field will be blank, that is why On1 Raw can't apply the correction untill you manually show it which lens profile to use.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Please disregard my last post. I have just been experimenting some more, I have found with regard to lens correction that, on some of my older photos the camera and lens are shown in the exif data, but no lens corrections are applied automatically untill I, just like you manually select the make and model of lens,

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan

In LR, it states that the raw files contain the lens correction profile. Which looks like on1 photo raw doesn't use.
Untitled-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Because it applies a correction and does not make a statement about the source of the correction does not mean they are doing their m43 lens corrections lookup tables instead of using data in the raw file. What do they say when you ask On1 about it?

FarFromSane

Mu-43 Regular
I opened a ticket on to ask about the lens correction profile.
The tech forwarded my query to Engineering.
My guess is they will tell me Lens Profiles don't apply to M43 lenses, similar to what Bahomot said above.
I recall reading this elsewhere re LR and M43 too..

Latest threads

Top Bottom