1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

On Weather and the resistance thereof

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ccunningham, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    One of the things that keeps me from using mFT for just anything is that there don't seem to be any weather-sealed mFT bodies and lenses. So if they predict rain, and I'm going to be outside, I don't take mFT gear.

For example, my D300 + 18-70 Nikkor Zoom have been caught in raging rain and thunderstorms, to the point that by the time I had made it back to shelter, the body and lens were completely soaked, as in there was no part of the body and lens that wasn't dripping wet. The whole thing still worked while wet, and I've not noticed any issues later (finger crossing). But weather sealing is supposed to be a feature on the D300, so that makes sense. (And BTW, the first time it got soaked, there was a little bit of trepidation on my part until it became clear that it wasn't affected and I could breathe a sigh of relief, glad I hadn't destroyed $1400 worth of camera and lens.)

But some cameras seem to do ok without weather sealing.

My D90 and 18-105 has been soaking wet before too, and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects, but it does NOT have any weather sealing. Officially at least.

Before you say anything about just keeping my equipment dry, I know I know already and try to NOT get gear wet, but sometimes it happens.

So what are your personal experiences with getting your Pen or Lumix micro-4/3 gear wet? What was it? How did it get wet? What was the result(destroyed vs non-destroyed)?

And I know Olympus knows how to weather proof a camera look at the E-5, E-3 and I think the E-1. They were all weather sealed. I kept/keep hoping for a pen + lens with weather sealing.

2. I haven't tried rain, but I did leave my E-PL1 out in a hoar frost for 24 hrs by mistake. It was completely covered in ice. I took the battery out, wiped it off and dried it out for a day. No problems a year later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I've been caught in a light to moderate shower with my E-P2, VF-2, and a lens which escapes me at the moment; it survived fine. This is an especially relevant topic for me right now as I have been using a weatherproofed Four Thirds 14-54mm II lens on that same body, and with the (presumably also non-weatherproofed) MMF-2 adapter between the two. In essence, I could theoretically photograph in the rain under a large enough hat and I would be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Light drizzle & ocean spray

The GF-1 is less than 1 y/o. So far, after being exposed on a few occasions to light drizzle and a bit of real misty ocean spray it is still functioning like new. Simple wipe down is the only preventive maintenance. If caught in a heavy rain or hit with more than sea mist I would avoid touching any switch/dial until wiped down and hope for the best. Do worry more about the 45-200mm lens.

One accessory I'm thinking about is a SwingLite(Euroshrim) handfree umbrella. The trekking umbrellas from this company are pretty bomb proof. Check out the youtube videos for some entertainment and info. Assuming their hands free version is just as durable.

• Like Like x 1