On the suitability of Crumpler equipment for Olympus cameras

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Gyroscope, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Hi all.

Figured I'd share some recent experiences with Crumpler equipment.

Apologies for some of the lousy photos, these are for illustration rather than composition and narrative :redface:

For the uninitiated Crumpler make very durable waterproof(ish) bags and cases.

The line is quite fashion-led, with cutesy names, interesting colours, and fashion rather than utility pricing.

They seem to have a line of camera / DSLR bags that changes slightly every couple of years, but the basic sizes remain about the same.

The first line of camera bags I encountered was called Muffin Top, then came Cupcake, now there is Jackpack.

Within each line the models are sized, 2500, 3000, 4000 etc. The bigger the number, the bigger the bag.

With my old E-P1 I used the smallest Muffin Top, the 2500, for years.

View attachment 229363

It fitted the 12-42 collapsible kit zoom just nice, and I could ram a few more things in there to boot.

View attachment 229364

Unfortunately along came the OM-D, and with the kit 12-50mm it was an awkward fit to say the least

View attachment 229365

so yesterday I sprang for a Jackpack 4000

View attachment 229366

a couple of comparison shots

View attachment 229367

View attachment 229368

The Jackpack 4000 with its moveable dividers easily holds the OM-D, my strap, a couple of lenses, my spectacles, bat anti-shark spray and a load of other rubble in the top, side and front pockets

View attachment 229369

View attachment 229370

I think the intention for this case is to hold a DSLR "horizontally" however as you can see the OM-D fits snugly "vertically", making more room and a more secure fit.

A word on the strap. It's a (surprise) Crumpler Singapore Slim, the smaller version of the Singapore Sling meant for DSLRs.

The basic idea is that you attach the two small woggles to make a hand strap

View attachment 229371

these pop open

View attachment 229372

to attach to the rest of the strap

View attachment 229373

which sits comfortably around your chubby neck

View attachment 229374

It comes in colours other than purple, but I figured I ought to get my Prince on when I bought this one.

So in summary: Crumpler is not the cheapest, but it is extremely durable and carefully considered. Anything with 2500 in its name is too small for an OM-D with the kit lens, but the Jackpack 4000 seems like a good fit to me.

Hope this helps a few people.

/g

• Like Like x 6
  2. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    How does the "hand strap" works out?

Do you use it to carry the camera only?

Or do you somehow loop it over your wrist or hand when taking shots to prevent accidentally dropping the camera?

3. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    I think "handle" might be a better term for what you get when you snap the two ends together. It's too tight to wrap around a hand or wrist, useful only for carrying the camera really.

But it does mean that you can easily take off the bulky neck strap when you don't need it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for the write up. I'm looking for something suitable as I think I want a 2-camera 3-lens bag (thinking 12-35 & 35-100 on camera, 7-14 as 3rd lens), but everything I find is too DSLR oriented.

BTW, my small walkaround bag for the G5/12-35 and 7.5mm Samyang is the Crumpler Cupcake 1500 :eek:.

5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
  6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I've been looking at that too.. I wonder could you tell me the length of the strap at its longest. I'm very tall (over 2metres) so want a fairly long strap. None of the reviews tell you this.

Thanks

7. arch stanton

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi there, yep I'll have a look tonight. I'm 6' 2" and the strap's easily long enough for me, I've shortened it a little to keep it from hanging too low and banging on my legs as I walk.

8. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks - you understand the problem then!

As well as the overall length, if you could measure from the top of the bag to the furthest point on the strap with it pulled tight (effectively measuring from top of the shoulder to top of the bag, that would be great too :)

Also, do you wear it over the one shoulder or across the chest/over the opposite shoulder.

9. arch stanton

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    There's loads of room in the strap, I just measured 15" of spare strap and across my shoulder it sits with the bag body on my hip.

Fully extended it's waaaaay too long :) It hangs 2' 7" from the strap to the top of the bag, with just under 8" of bag under that...remember it's asymmetric so I'm including the tallest part of the bag as 'strap'.

10. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for doing that. Looks like it may well be worth getting one to see :)

11. Psikat

Psikat New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Would the Jackpack 4000 hold the OM-D with the HLD-6 in place?

With best regards, Kat

12. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Sorry for only just noticing this - yes, easily.

13. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    And next in the Crumpler stable, the Banana Cube (medium)

View attachment 270876

View attachment 270877

Apologies for the lousy phone pic, the camera on my phone seems to have major difficulties in focussing :confused:

Seems ideal for carrying an OM-D EM-5 with not much else - maybe a small prime if you take the divider out.

Not as sturdily built as Muffin Top 2500, or anything like as big as the Jackpack 4000, but will definitely be handy most of the time.

Here in the UK I think retail on these is around GBP40, with Amazon and marketplace sellers usually asking GBP25. However last week there was a weird price dip to GBP9.95, so I pounced. For a tenner it seemed like a no-brainer to try, however now they're back up by a factor of around 2.5 I would maybe hestitate and look at other options.

If I were to take out the divider and put in my Oly 12mm, can anyone recommend a decent lens baggie so the camera and lens don't have a fight?

Thanks

/g

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have an older Crumpler shoulder bag, the ThreeSeventy, which was one of their earlier medium sized messenger bag solutions. I don't use the bag itself much, since it's quite 'square', though comfortable.

What does get used is the removable insert, which is sized perfectly to fit in my cheap (and cheap-looking) small backpack, filling the bottom half. I had no difficulty storing the E-M5, 7-14, 12-35, 100-300, 14, 20, 45, RX-100, 4 spare batteries, 2 travel chargers, capture clip, a few filters, lens pen, in a 'block' that can be closed neatly with velcro. Can post pictures for those interested. Not super practical for on-the-go changes, but I tend to walk around with the camera in hand (Peak Leash or Cuff) and either a small prime in a pocket, or sit down to swap lenses if I'm travelling. Makes the bag look like the daypack it is rather than 'filled with camera gear'.

15. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Are these models available in the US?

16. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I dropped by the Crumpler store at 13th street in Manhattan the other day, having visited a nearby client. They changed the store around, no longer doing custom Crumplers and dedicated it to regular retail sales.

Here is a bag that the Aussie staffing the store modeled for me. Fit him to a T and it was clearly suitable for bike riding. He mentioned that there was a custom bike shop else where whose owner bought several of them to give to staff.

View attachment 271445

These are smaller versions in a different color.

View attachment 271446

This was a Crumpler I'd not seen before. Reasonable weight considering its size. What was noteworthy was that inner compartments appeared perfect for smaller Micro 4/3 lenses.

View attachment 271447

Here is the inner view of it.

View attachment 271448