1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

On The Path

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by demiro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I really like this photo, not because it is great in any absolute sense, but because it really strikes an emotional note with me. it is my 7 year old. Something about your child out on the unknown path of life by themselves. Sappy, I know, but what can I say?

Anyway, looking for some C&C as to how to crop or process to improve. Feel free to take a pass at it if you are so inclined. I played around with a bunch of stuff in LR, but nothing really spoke to me. Only processing on these is auto-tone, which mostly bumped the contrast.

First is original, then three basic crops.

pathoriginal1of1.

wanted to minimize the blown sky
    path11of1.

wanted to make it more from her perspective looking at the path
    path21of1.

minimized the bright foreground
    path31of1.

Thanks!

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Here's a simple cleaning of the first image via Lightroom, to my tastes. =)

pathoriginal1of1-2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I have never commented on a photo before but this one really struck a chord. I like the original best, the emptier foreground sums up lifes journey, and the brightness signifies hope.

Beautiful photo, thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I prefer the first crop - I think it retains the feeling you were describing while putting more focus on your daughter and removing the blown sky.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Here is how I'd like this photograph to be cropped.

pathoriginal1of1.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I prefer the first image.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I agree... I've come back and looked at this thread a couple times over the course of the morning and my first impression remains. I'd probably stick with the original and do what you can to recover the highlights a little (without turning them to grey mush). The light is part of what makes the image interesting for me, so I'd be disinclined to crop it out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    For the heck of it, I grabbed the first copy and put it in LR. Of course it's a small res JPG so I couldn't go too crazy with the adjustments, but I did pull down highlights, bump contrast and clarity, and added a little vignette to further bring in the sky naturally. I ended up with the below as my take on it.

Funny thing is, going back and looking at it I still kind of like the softer lighter feel on the original anyway. Just thought I'd share as a point of interest in different interpretation of the same image.

path.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    The original is the best also IMO.

It reminds the viewer that she is a small girl in a big wide open world taking her journey through life.

My suggestion - leave the photo alone. Even with the blown out sky it looks beautiful. Not every picture needs to be 100% 'correct' for it to be 'correct'. If that makes any sense.

Spend more time taking photos & enjoying your daughter instead of post processing. But thats just me. Shrug

• Like Like x 2
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The road and the daughter are the primary subjects and none of the crops or tweaks really changed that so all the options presented really looked essentially the same to my eye.

I think the coloration could even be monochrome and most the the impact ofthe image would remain unchanged.

The road the daughter and the perspective are so strong that everything else becomes almost superfluous.

Of course, I don't know much about photography but I have taken a bunch of photos of my kids.

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    You and me both Rob!

12. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. Usually I spend very little time PPing, but I do feel like I am leaving something on the table at times when I see what other folks can do.

13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm with Gary.She is a little girl in the big,natural world.I would leave it alone.It's not perfect, but the value is in what it means to you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    original works for me :)

it works by itself but where's the fun in that! :)

here's how I would do it, nothing drastic. actually really close to what's already posted here. so i don't know why i had to even do this. :rofl:

*edit: crop (obviously), straighten, curves (mostly to pull down the greens) and blur the top-half on Aperture3

Attached Files:

15. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    looks like the attachment was deleted last night ... I uploaded the attachment again

16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    As others have said the original is best for communicating the intended metaphor about your child starting out on the path of life. Don't worry about possible imperfections, it's not a great photograph but it's not a bad one either. In this case what counts is it's meaning to you and in this respect it is priceless!