On-The-Go Backup Solution for us Travelling Photogs...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by edwardconde, Sep 26, 2013.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the biggest concerns when we travel as photo junkies is how will I backup my images while on the go? Well I found a device that I think you will like and I think you will see the potential of. It is the 5-n-1 RAVPower Wireless NAS (SD Card & USB) + a battery backup to your smartphone and a WiFi Hotspot with pass thru! Whew... That was a lot to type there.. I have had this device for about a month now and I have been testing the snot out of it.. mostly on what i can and cannot do. In my blog post below, I go through some of that testing and I also add in what use cases I will be putting this thing to work... Have I sparked your interest yet? Click below for more!!!!

http://digitalchemicals.blogspot.com/2013/09/on-go-backup-more-ways-than-one.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    seems like it has potential. Not overly expensive as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got a Kingston MobileLite Wireless which basically does the same thing. It works but it's not the most elegant solution.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Does this thing have a drive built in to backup to? If it doesn't how long will it power an external drive for?

A hyperdrive for iPad seems simpler.

Gordon

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Really with the price of a 128GB Sd card at US$100 all you really need to back up your SD cards is something like this...

http://www.i4u.com/8538/panasonic-pocket-copy

Runs on one AA battery and pretty tiny.

Unfortunately I dont think Panasonic makes it any more and it is difficult to find something similar.

6. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    You connect a USB drive... So one if those WD drives I found on Amazon for $70 for 1TB... I don't know how long it will power it... It charges using a micro USB, so in a pinch, you can use a car adapter to power while transferring if you are running low... I don't have any experience with hyper drives, but I like this cause if the different options you have.

7. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's why I would go with a 1tb WD mobile drive for $70 on Amazon... This thing is a little bigger than my iPhone... Easy to carry...

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ... Or just an iPad... (Which is what I use)

9. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah.. this would be additional to the ipad... This is for those occasions where there isn't any wifi around and you are paranoid of losing photos... basically when you are traveling... I have gone on vacation before with just my iPad and wait till I got home to sync up... just a little added insurance I guess! :biggrin:

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I travel A LOT, and usually "run and gun" business travel, so a uni-tasker like a portable HD is our of the question. I use the iPad as the portable HD for backup, and it also works for email, reading books, Facebook, games, viewing/showing pictures, etc.

But then, I gave up on RAW a long time ago, so my file sizes are much more reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    I'm completely missing something here. How is this better than just using one's iPad and the camera connection kit? Or is the plan to use this PLUS a USB hard hard drive?

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Well, what if you shoot RAW and use a lot more space than a 32GB ipad allows?

During a 6 month travel, I filled up about 5x32GB SD cards.

• Like Like x 1
  13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    In my use case that I posted, it was mostly to do straight copies from my sd to usb hd.. for safe keeping while on the go. I would still import into my iPad for my editing. But the unedited images would also be safe on a HD.. So while I could view the images through the app, I don't see myself using that method to transfer images into my camera roll.

There are so many possibly options here with this little device and that's why I like it! My use cases may not fit yours or others on how best to use it. I just wanted to share something I found that I think has a lot of potential to help when traveling and you want to keep your images safe. There are a lot of paranoid :eek: photogs who worry if their images are safe just on sd..

thx

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I still use a Dell 10 Mini netbook; my Nexus 7 has only 32 gig of storage total and carrying a full laptop is more weight than I want to deal with.

The lightweight netbook offers 250 gig and has a built in SD slot and will run for hours on a single battery charge. I'm operating it on Windows XP, but it runs quite nicely on Linux (Ubuntu) as well. For "backup backup" I've an external DVD burner for the Mini that I can use to burn the photos to disk and then mail back to my home (although I've not gotten quite to that level of paranoia...quite. Yet. :biggrin:).

It will NOT, however fit into my Domke F-3X bag :frown: - and the "wall wart" charger is best left back at the hotel or in the car.

If Nexus would kindly offer an SD card slot in conjunction with their existing micro USB slot then one could transfer photos from the camera card (using a USB card reader) to the backup card in the Nexus SD slot. If only.

Until then I'm hoping my trusty old netbook keeps churning along. It will also run photo editing software (anything that will run on 1 gig of RAM and a 1.6 Atom processor).

(Although on my last vacation I took no backup at all - I simply took more cards than I needed. I've not yet had a card fail on me and in order to lighten the load I left the Dell (and charger and DVD drive and DVDs) at home. Lightening the load has become something of a fixation with me these days).

I've looked at the "photo safe" type self powered drives but haven't found one that is inexpensive enough to work as a backup solution for me. The inexpensive ones seem to garner generally poor reviews :frown:. The ones that get great reviews are beyond my means. (As in "the Princess of the Exchequer means to beat me silly if I spend $500 on a backup solution :biggrin:).

Things never really change - in the 'old' days we worried about lost or damaged rolls of exposed film; occasionally (but rarely) film would break in the camera requiringa "changing bag" to recover the exposed portion of the roll. I once loaned a Pen FT to a buddy who somehow managed to break the film winder :confused:.

At least today one can get backups without having to have the roll processed and duplicate negatives made in the lab :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not after me.

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thanks for sharing! As a frequent traveler and paranoid photographer I've been looking for this sort of solution for a while (bringing a netbook was a pain on my last 5 week trip). Now I could even get down to just an iphone and an external 2.5" HDD. :D

Very positive reviews from what I can find, so I picked one up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If I was going to be gone for so long, I would be uploading to the Cloud or mailing SD cards home.