On the fence about the P14-45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Replytoken, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I have had a bad case of GAS this year. What started out as a temporary substitute for my Nikon D300, a refurbished E-PL2 w/14-42II and 40-150 kit lenses, has now blossomed into two bodies and five lenses (the above-mentioned plus a GF3, P14mm, P25mm and O45mm). While no camera system is perfect, to date I have really been enjoying my M43 system more than I thought. It reminds me of many former small cameras that I used to shoot with, especially my Leica M4-2 that I sold a few years ago. I have especially been enjoying my P25 that I was able to acquire late last month.

But, having camera bodies that allow me to shoot and learn about video, has me considering a 14-45 since it has OIS, something that none of my other lenses presently offer. I am sure that it would also be handy as a kit zoom for stills, but that use seems secondary to me in light of my other lenses. I will readily admit that I am a total dilettante when it comes to video, but a guy has to start somewhere.

So, I can pick up the 14-45 and hope that this ends my GAS for now. Alternately, I can make do with what I have and learn to live without OIS. Or, I can save up my pennies and some day in the distant future pick up a 12-35, a lens that has great appeal to me, but is beyond my budget, especially in light of how much GAS I have had this year.

Any thoughts?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well...it's a terrific kit lens.
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    You mean the 12-35? :rofl:

Yes, the 14-45 does have a reputation as a great kit lens. But, threads appear from owners of the O14-42II lens that show them to be happy owners as well, so I feel that I am making decisions in a very relative world. I am generally slow to evaluate lenses, as I tend to rely on a review of a large body of images to see how a lens performs, and equally important, how well I shoot with it.

I have a large selection of Nikon glass, none of which I would say are bad lenses, but some of which I seem to be able to create better images with on a more consistent basis. I realized this has little to do with the tested capability of the lens, but then again, I do not want a portfolio of brick wall test shots. Unfortunately, the 14-45 is both larger and more expensive than I would like for an impulse purchase. But, it is a great deal more affordable than the 12-35, and it is about the most affordable lens with OIS. I guess a key question is what is the value of OIS, and what am I willing to pay to have it?

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I bought the 14-45 for exactly the same reason. I primarily use an E-P3 so the cheaper Panasonic 14-42 was out because of the lack of OIS on/off switch.

There's no doubt in my mind that it is a very useful feature for video as it takes away the amateur looking micro-jitters. The difference between on and off is obvious and profound. However, as these cameras are so small, I think some kind of extra grip or mini rig would help too .

Either way, since it's a well regarded lens I don't think you'll have much trouble selling it on if it doesn't appeal.

FWIW, the P14-45 feels better built than the O14-42 IIR that came with my E-P3 - not that it is, it may or may not be, but it feels that way :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    I believe the Pana 14-42mm is the cheapest lens with OIS.
  6. apotelyt

apotelyt New to Mu-43

May 3, 2012
    I've had the chance to use both the P14-42 and now own the P14-45. I would say the images produced by the P14-45 is better than the P14-42. The in built OIS on the lens is a definite advantage when shooting video. I'm using it with a EP-3. It's a great kit lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Thanks for the feedback. Its good to hear that the OIS makes a difference that can be easily seen. It will probably be a good addition to my lens stable. Now, what to do about that 12-35? It looks like I am going to need to start filling a very large penny jar!
  8. Josh_LSTV

Josh_LSTV Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I too bought the Panasonic 14-45 for the O.I.S. Since I'm using an EPL-1 the O.I.S switch is necessary in order to use it. For video O.I.S is definitely worth the money. I've also found that it's best to record video with slower shutter speeds say around 1/60 as that seems to smooth things out as well. In bright conditions though you'll need an ND filter.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Well, the 12-35 is a different beast... Size-wise you probably know it's similar to the 14-45. I stopped (maybe paused) the prime madness with this.

You're looking at about 1 2/3 EV difference at 25mm, about 2 EV at 35mm. But the 14-45 is reportedly quite sharp wide-open.

You could save your money now, sell the 14mm and probably the 14-42 II as well when you make your purchase. By then the prices for the 12-35 might settle down a bit.