On the Edge of a Volcano

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

NO FENCES - NO BOUNDARIES - - - If you want to see the red hot lava at the bottom of this Nicaraguan volcano named Telica, you have to climb the steep rocky edges to the top and then edge your way over the lip of the huge 750 foot wide crater opening and look straight down.

After reaching the top, we hiked to the other side to view the sun as it set - - - then walked back to see the crater in pitch black darkness - before proceeding to head back down the steep incline of the mountain to our waiting truck.

To show how small us humans were in comparison to the crater, if you view this 360 Pano that I shot - and follow the path up (only the very top section of climb had a path to follow) - you will see people standing on the top - http://www.dermandar.com/p/dHNUzR/360-sweep-from-telica

• Like Like x 22
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Wow, terrific photos! Well worth the climb, it must have been awesome to stand there looking into the volcano.
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho

Wow, the last one is . . . amazing! As a geologist, I'm very jealous.
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    A lifetime experience - that's for sure!
  5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Wow, what an experience! Thanks for sharing the 360 Pano shot, too! It really shows how grand the crater was...

BTW, just curious, how long did it take you to hike up from your truck to the crater?
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That pano is awesome!
  7. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Nice, especially the first and last one; absolutely brilliant!
  8. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Wow, I'm jealous. Beautiful work.
  9. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing