On the cheap!

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by PatrickVA, Feb 16, 2013.

1. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I've been making quick videos with my son for the past month or two. I wasn't thinking video at all when I got the camera, but it's really easy to knock out simply edited shorts. I've spent nothing other than the body (OM-D) and lenses (20, 45 and 12-50), which I got for stills.

I use a flimsy aluminum tripod I've had for years, cheap adjustable floor lamp for light inside, and Windows Movie Maker (basic preload on Windows computers) for editing. I convert YouTube videos to MP3 for background sound.

I shoot in the higher quality 720p, using mostly manual settings and manual focus. The camera produces .MOV files, which I have to convert to .WMV before editing. This degrades the quality but I don't care. I also play it pretty loose with ISO and shutter speed. Right now it's more important to make fun little clips than it is to make perfect little clips.

Up next will probably be an LED array for lights and a directional mic (I just got the SEMA-1). Down the road will be better editing software.

Here's an example shot entirely with the 12-50mm. This took about two hours to shoot and edit.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FW_LJ5nd1dA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>