On my Blog: My Review of the Fuji X-System

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by entropicremnants, Dec 25, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    • Like Like x 6
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Great write-up, I hope this leads to many sales and maybe a new career for you. Although to be honest, even tough these pictures are wonderful, for some weird reason, I still prefer the ones with your G5. In any case, I enjoyed reading your blog.

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    And you've summed up that "subjective" thing about art and photography: it really comes down to what suits you. Thanks for the feedback! :)

4. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    m4/3 has essentially rendered APS-C formats useless to me, but were I to return to an APS-C based system, it would definitely be the Fuji X. I am unsatisfied with the other manufacturer's support of their APS-C systems, except for maybe Pentax.

• Like Like x 1
  5. akkers

akkers Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Loved the writeup and the images! Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  6. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    great summary , i have been looking for this on the web but didn't find it untill today

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wonderful photography in your review, John. I just had a quick look now and look forward to a full read later today. Merry Christmas!

• Like Like x 1
  8. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Matthew
    Great writeup and pics! Interestingly, the X-series image thread on this site initially got me interested in the X-series as the colors just look the way I want them to look and your writeup made me aware of a lower priced X-M1 model. And all this on a M43 site. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I essentially finished my own "due diligence" on Fujifilm a while back so I have to admit that I stopped reading after a while but still enjoyed looking at all the images.

10. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    And what was your conclusion?

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    We can probably guess from his sig line (E-M5 and GH1)!

I can't say I did an extensive comparison, but I too did my own "due diligence" and concluded that the difference really wasn't that great - and certainly not large enough to warrant the expense of a system change.

12. Well, without wanting to take from ER's own far more exhaustive review, and noting that aside from much online research and browsing through samples, my personal hand-on experience with Fujis has been limited to handling them in a few camera shops...

- Fujifilm continue to pursue different sensor and processing technologies that seem to provide certain benefits but there is usually a downside somewhere. Given that cameras with conventional sensor arrays are currently so damn good and don't pose problems to workflow, something like the X-Trans sensor doesn't stand out to me as a key benefit.
    - I'm currently 34, started out with Digital SLRs in 2005 and transitioned over to mirrorless and Micro 4/3 between 2010 and 2012. As such the styling, traditional control layout and reluctance to use modern features such as touchscreen control doesn't appeal to someone of my generation.
    - Not sure if the newest cameras like the X-E2 are the same but when I've quizzed Fuji users on the live-view displays they've indicated that the cameras don't provide a 100% accurate reflection of the exposure of the final image like I get from my Olympus, Samsung, and Canon cameras. Instead they provide a "normalised" exposure that works fine for framing but not for judging the extremities of exposure when using ETTR. Incidentally this has annoyed the heck out of me about Panasonic cameras as well (my GH1 included).

The Fujis still have some appeal to me, would be wonderful cameras for anyone who values their feature sets, they appear to generally have excellent image quality (as does just about any camera in this class if we're honest) and if one "fell into my lap" at a bargain price I wouldn't say no. But, removing the reason to own a Fuji simply because I can; they don't replace all the features, controls, capabilities of what I have and use in Micro 4/3, and they don't add value to me to make it worthwhile to shoot them alongside Micro 4/3. As it is I already have more cameras than I truly need, including two cameras that offer a different user experience, specifications, and image output (Canon G1X and Samsung NX300).

The one time that I have switched systems was to go from Canon EOS to Micro 4/3 and that was because the mirrorless system offered me clear benefits in numerous areas with no downsides for my preferred styles of travel, urban, and street shooting. Comparing Micro 4/3 to any other mirrorless system including Fujifilm that is not the case so I have no reason to move.

• Like Like x 2
  13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I shot micro four thirds and still think the system is great -- it's just for me the Fuji's rock me in ways micro four thirds doesn't. As I mentioned previously, cameras are subjective and not objective objects in terms of capability and "value".

Ha ha! I'm grateful you looked at it at all, thanks!

All very good points and my review does mention the downsides of X-Trans photography -- I concede it's not for everyone and it's not objectively a "virtue" to use Fuji's technology.

It really depends on how you print (if you print) and what you shoot. As I look at a large body of work I've done at this point, I can see the difference in the Fuji's output. The extra punch from the larger sensor over the mft ones does work for me and one could easily make the argument "well, if that's better then full frame would be even better!"

But my answer to that is still the one that took me from DSLR's -- I wanted smaller and lighter and almost any mirrorless system gets you there at some level with mft giving you the best "miniaturization" and reduction in size and weight -- and I would argue "bang for your buck". If you go full frame mirrorless you will have larger heavier lenses although still not as big and clunky as the equivalent quality SLR.

For me -- and it is a personal choice -- the Fuji's hit a quality/size point that suits me better. A better balance of things for what I like to shoot.

Yes, that old school handling might not appeal to those who have not used it extensively -- but one of the other things I indicated in the review is that I could operate the Fuji with heavy gloves on. That was not possible with any of my other cameras the way it is with the Fuji's. Especially the DSLR paradigm that often has you holding a button down while turning a wheel -- can't do it with gloves for hot metal work.

There are some significant advantages to the old camera paradigm of control and I believe the Fuji model will show up in more and more cameras (like it is in the Nikon Df for example).

14. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I just stumbled across this thread and must echo Luckypenguin's comment - that the photos you posted in your Fuji system review....are freaking awesome.

In fact, John, I suspect that, although the Fuji X-trans Sensor and Fuji glass (lenses) are certainly extremely capable of producing beautiful colors, tones, and images - your abilities when it comes to post-processing digital images are such .... that you could make photos from any damn photographic system or camera or lens or sensor .... look riveting and drool-worthy.

Which is a long-winded way of saying they were both cool and inspirational (photographically speaking) for me to look at. My belated thanks.