On giving it away, and other things MU-43

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hello folks,

Some of you may have seen my classified offering to "gift" an MC Rokkor 50mm f2.0 lens.

My stipulation was that the "giftee" be a member of Mu-43 and hopefully a person who hadn't yet acquired any legacy glass... perhaps due to lack of disposable income, such as a student.

I'm happy to say just such a member took me up on my offer, he's a young man and a student in the Czech Republic.

I'm happy to report, that he sent me a lovely photo of he and his infant son riding the train and it made my day! Thanks MU-43!

Last evening I was contacted by a new member who came here searching on my name. He's doing a project on SE Massachusetts, and came across some advertising photography I did in the early 70's for automobile dealerships in the area.

He found me here, on Mu-43, and sent a nice email, which in turn sent me out to the barn, and into the old file cabinets from my "shooting for dough" days.

I gathered up a batch of old advertising material I'd shot way back when, and I'm going to mail them off to him for his project.

In 48 hours I've made someone happy, and hopefully made a new friend, in the Czech Republic, and been searched out for some of my oldest work. All based on my very recent association with Mu-43.

As someone said in another thread... This board ROCKS!

A big thanks to the administration and the great members here at mu-43!!

Cheers, Alan

JohnMetsn

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm the one who was gifted those lens and I thanked for that many times already, but it's never enough. Thank you once again!! :smile:

My main joy is not the fact I'm receiving lens for free, but the fact that my first legacy lens is a gift from fellow fan into photography. And hopefully from a new friend from US.

I'm new on this page, but I really like the spirit here. How come everyone is posting mostly positive comments about every picture here? If I upload a picture somewhere else, I usually get at least 50% of negative comments from ppl who would take that picture somehow differently.

Anyway thank you for this page. It's a great source for my knowledge about :43: and a wonderful place to meet new friends.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Stop it guys, I'm going to cry . . .

Seriously, this is a great idea and I wish I'd thought of it before selling my Focal 28mm on ebay for the princely sum of $1.00. I would have felt much better about sending it to a new home for free. Next time I find myself in a similar situation I'm going to do the same thing.

Bravo. Seriously.

russell

Mu-43 Regular
Great stuff mate. This is the type of thing that distinguishes a great community from yet another bitchy forum. I have been on one forum like that before (not photo related). Heaps of free stuff given out unsolicited, some really wonderful meet-ups, generally really reliable trading sections, etc. Even multi-thousand-dollar fundraising projects for forum members fallen victim to natural disaster or given to their family in certain tragic cases. Great. The other one I'm thinking of is suffering growing pains at the moment...

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, lots of kind words here...

Really though, nothing "extra" special. When you reach a certain age you realize that gifting is often a much more satisfying event than receiving.

Also, I live very nearby RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) every year the incoming class is in a frenzy trying to find manual 35mm cameras they can afford to carry out their assignments.. So I'm very familiar with (starving) students trying to acquire the equipment necessary to attain their educational and artistic goals / assignments.

That's precisely where all of my former 35mm gear went.. As well as my Rapid Omega, and a couple of Mamiya C220's.

Eventually it all comes back to you...karma.

I'll tell you, the great shot of he sent of him and his son was far better than a couple of dollars!

To all who thought it was a nice idea. Do It!!! If you have some "stuff" lying about and think an aspiring aficionado could put a little more mileage on it.. just smile and give it to them. It feels great.

Cheers, Alan

macjansson

Mu-43 Regular
I like this idea very much. Unfortunately my financial situation is not that great but by global standards I consider myself lucky.
I don't have any legacy glass but I do have some 35mm stuff, a sigma 28-105mm ASPH IF lens for Canon EOS (not digital, it is possible to upgrade the chip in the lens to get it to work with digital EOS, provided that Sigma still has the parts), a 62mm UV filter and a 62mm HOYA HMC Red filter. I'd be glad to send these to someone who can put them to better use than me as I don't use them at all.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Nice idea,

Why don't you simply do as I did.

Post them on the "classifieds" as FS: Free.

Instruct that your stipulation is as follows:

Person claiming items must be a member of MU-43.
Receiver of gift to pay shipping via PayPal.

See if there's a member who could use the equipment...

Cheers, Alan

Latest threads

Top Bottom