On chip Phase Detect in iPhone 6

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by nstelemark, Sep 9, 2014.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Just announced :biggrin:

and face detection and stabilisation.

2. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Wonder how long it will be before Olympus comes out with an OM-D that will make phone calls?

dp

• Like Like x 2
  3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Doesn't mean it works well. Probably selling gimic.

4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I wouldn't assume that. Apple has one or two software engineers and this is certainly a software problem.

5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    We will have to see in the next few days how ell it's implemented on the i6+ On the camera side of it, I was expecting more.. Not sure what but more... No 4k.. No added trickery etc.. Just more the same.. I guess the updated FaceTime camera ie selfie got a decent update.

Overall... Good update overall.

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    They increased the framerates for video but most other items were all imaging pipeline items which makes sense given the software imaging focus. They are just further burying the point and shoot.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Getting the Note 4. iPhone 6+ announce underwhelmed. I love the phablets, and it's just not the Note 4. I give it a resounding, "meh," maybe in 2 years but no way this time.

That and I'll be absolutely getting the Occulus Note VR headset. ...freaking cool, can't wait to see all the weird android hacked up crap that goes on for the VR even if doesn't work well it will be a glorious mess of crazy, or it will work great and I don't even know which outcome I want. That headset will be the first phone based pre-order ever.

*ninja edit
    I do absolutely want a VR panorama to work great though... I fully expect a rollercoaster sim to make me vomit too.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You should take a look at the Nokia 1520 before dropping money on the Samsung. The downsampled 20mp camera is really great.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

9. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't really need a quality phone camera, I like them as utility snapshots like "hey honey, did you need this? Or was it that?"

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    not sure what's the purpose of it. DOF is virtually unlimited with ultra wide angle lens and extremely small sensor (crop factor of 6 or more?). Probably only at macro distances the focus will matter.

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Never seen that one. It is a funny video with probably a whole lot of truth. I'm not much into social media, and have never been a fan of anything Apple, so I can well appreciate the humor.

dp