1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

On-Camera Flash with Adapted Lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, Jun 3, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    When I try to use the on-camera flash with an adapted lens, it seems like the shutter speed cannot be set any faster than 1/160s.

Is there any clever way around this? I'd like to use fill flash in bright sunlight, but it ends up overexposing, naturally.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You're probably at maximum sync speed. Stop down your lens aperture.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I encountered the same issue a few weeks ago. Like Ned said, the maximum shutter speed with the built-in flash is only 1/160s (on my E-PL1).

What you were probably trying to do (which was what I was trying to do) is shoot wide open during bright daytime but also use a fill flash. (I wanted wide open to get some nice bokeh.)

Several solutions:

1. Use a neutral density (ND) filter. This reduces the amount of light going into your camera for all wavelengths, therefore allowing you to use slower shutter speeds without blowing out everything in bright conditions.

2. Use a longer focal length and slower lens. You'll still get nice bokeh, for the most part. Under some circumstances this is effectively stopping down your aperture on your previous lens. (Edit: I realize you can't use the onboard flash for fill in this scenario...)

3. Get an off-camera flash. I believe you can get higher shutter sync speeds, but the complexities of off-camera flashes is beyond my expertise currently. :tongue:

This thread on dpreview proved very informative for me

4. Yep, the maximum sync speed of the GH2 curtain shutter is 1/160 sec. This is the fastest speed that the two shutter curtains expose the full sensor evenly for a flash burst. It is a drawback of a focal plane curtain shutter. Lens-based leaf shutters on small sensor compacts don't have this limitation (they have their own limitations :wink:).

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Keeping the ISO down to its lowest sensitivity as well as stopping down the aperture to as small as necessary should allow you to shoot within the max. sync speed, even in the brightest of conditions.

6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    well, since the point of my exercise was to take some nice portraits with blurry backgrounds, I don't think that stopping down is really what I want, so it sounds like I either have to go the ND filter route, or forget using fill flash and instead use existing light with reflectors or something.