On camera flash: importance of swivel?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by jadavids, Jul 3, 2014.

1. jadavids

jadavids Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to pick out an entry-level bounce flash to pair with a flashbender and diffuser for macro photography with my f2.8 60mm, for a set up much like aks6674's shown here. How important would it be to have a swivel functionality on this kind of set up/in general? I've been considering the Rokinon D980AFZ-OP, Metz MZ 44312OPL, Nissin Speedlite Di 466 FT or possibly the YN 560 III (I'm a little wary of no TTL function, since I'm just starting out), but not all have that swivel ability.

Thanks for any input!

Jenni

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The ability to adjust the angle and direction of the flash is always desirable. Even if you're just doing macro, it allows for better light adjustment, but by having this feature, it allows the flash to be more versatile in other situations.

• Like Like x 2
  3. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    The swivel will come in handy if you do indoor portrait photography. You will be able to bounce the flash off walls and corners.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The other option of course is to get a ring flash, which can also be used for general shooting if you want. Many ring flash units now have built-in LED lights to assist focussing and don't cost all that much, but whether the cheaper units have TTL, I'm not sure.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Jenni, the Oly 300R works great with the Oly 60mm macro. It angles to the right position for the lens with the lens hood fully extended, has plenty of power for macro work offers TTL, and is inexpensive, new and used.

6. jadavids

jadavids Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you all for your input. I will stick with a flash that can swivel, since it seems the general consensus is that it affords better flexibility!

7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I can use my Oly fl300r or Nissin 466 in *any* orientation with a cheap ttl flash cable. It's a little clunky but works well.
    That said, I bought an older swiveling metz 50 a while back, but plan to replace it with the much smaller new Nissin i40:
    (See here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=63091)

8. jadavids

jadavids Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Arch,
    That's a great suggestion I hadn't seen yet! Thank you - could well be the route I go :)

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Tilt and swivel is great when you want to use a diffuser or reflector and are shooting in portrait orientation and need to work with on-camera flash (i.e. "grip and grin events"). I do not think I could buy a primary flash that did not tilt and swivel.

--Ken