Omg -- omd -- doa --

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Oct 26, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    After going back and forth for weeks, ordering then cancelling the OMD 2 or 3 times, deciding if I should get the Fuji XE1..

I finally order the OMD, and I turn it on, and the LCD is there, the EVF is there..

But it wont focus, touchscreen doesnt work, NADA.. ALL BUTTONS ARE NON RESPONSIVE..

I AM SOOOOO IRRITATED.. I guess this is a sign.. Gonna stick with my Nikon DSLR Setup for while.

Now I got to return the OMD and 12-50..
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Why not just return it to the store for another? xP You just bought it. You don't need to wait on a warranty repair or anything, just a simple store exchange at the Customer Service counter. I don't know any store that won't give you an exchange for a non-responsive $1000 camera within 15 days... :p

Don't freak out over such a piddly matter. These days it seems you can expect half the retail products you buy off the shelf to be defective. I guess that's why the stores need extra stock. There are plenty of people with working models, so I'm sure if you just exchange it you'll get a good one. If you actually went in for an exchange and got another bad copy, then I would start to worry.

I've had a total of 4 defective returns just this week (no $1000 cameras, thankfully) and one of those had already been exchanged. Every year the ratio of defective products on the shelf of every retail store gets higher and higher, and it's not specific to any brands. I haven't sworn off all shopping because of it, lol. You know the saying, "They just don't make things like they used to"? It's unavoidable, and something that we have to live with in 2012.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Good points.. And normally I would.

But it was a order that I paid overnight shipping for.

Best buy brick n motar stores don't carry...
  4. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    This is a good reason to get your hands on what you want to buy and check it out before you plunk down your money, I'm waiting until a local store gets the EPL-5 and buy the one I get to test.
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm pretty sure you can get your overnight shipping fees refunded, too. But looks like you've made your decision.
  6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    If the camera doesn't feel good in your hands, by all means return it...

But I'd suggest you to try update the firmware before returning it, if you have interest in it.
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry to hear that you got a DOA unit! That would be a huge bummer, especially with next day shipping and heading into a weekend. :frown:

I would also vote for a call to Best Buy to get them to cover the shipping of getting a replacement out to you. It sounds like you spent a lot of time researching this decision. I don't think this is a sign that you made the wrong choice... just that you got unlucky and received a unit with issues (all camera companies ship cameras that have problems, unfortunately).

Hope you get it resolved quickly, or you find an alternative that you like!
  8. claytonluke

claytonluke Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Clayton Hunter
    Must not of wanted it that bad for such a minor problem to steer you away. Patience.
  9. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Welcome to modern times.I think it is a blessing in disguise.You don't care enough for the camera to want to get another copy so this gives you an excuse to return it.If I am wrong, forgive me.