Omg! New omd firmware! :)

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Somehow Fujifilm has created a good reputation of being loyal to their customers by releasing more frequent firmware updates, even though this comes from selling cameras that arguably were more in need of more firmware updates to begin with.

Sometimes it is forgotten though that Olympus has already released a significant firmware update (v1.5) for the E-M5 which reduced the operational noise of the five-axis IBIS. Prior to that the camera could be very audible in quiet environments.

Nicely said and, if Olympus is reading, thank you! Thumbs up.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
I didn't want to be the first one to ask the same question.
Thanks a ton Yohan for making me look smart :th_salute:

Hi Dave!

:biggrin:

I never mind looking foolish as long as I end up with the answer I'm after. The manual (page 44 as I recall) has the information but Yohan's answer is so much better than the official manual text.

He's absolutely on a roll today :2thumbs:.

The only thing he missed...I don't have an uncle Bob...:biggrin:.

This forum rocks!!!

Regards,

Jim

Yohan Pamudji

Mu-43 Veteran
Why did they do this! I'm so pissed!

I just sold my E-M5 and switched to the E-M1 so I could hold features like this over your collective heads and laugh at you. Now you still have money in your pockets and you're laughing at me!

This is simply unacceptable!

:biggrin: Just kidding, glad to see it was a real firmware upgrade instead of an almost pointless firmware change. I really hope they continue to operate more like this in the future.

-Nate

Nate, I could ship back the E-M5 you sold me for a refund if you want :laugh1: Perfect timing, eh? I suddenly feel like I got more camera than I paid for!

Coming back down from the E-M1 and returning to the E-M5, the small AF points was the thing I missed the most. Now that I have that on the E-M5 I'm not even sure I need the E-M1 anymore.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
You sure about that? :wink:...

Yeah, pretty much. Only have one uncle, and he's definitely the guy to have your back in a bar fight but he doesn't answer to "Bob".

:biggrin:

Now if it would just warm up enough to go outside and shoot with the modified focus box....:frown:.

Thanks again for the help today!

Regards,

Jim

M4/3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Wonderful to see Olympus proactively add important new functionality to a 1 3/4 year old camera model.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Just a quick unscientific update...I was shooting waterfalls today...ISO 100 is definitely cleaner in the underexposed shadows...and there's a noticeable clip of the highlights...

I think I'm going to use ISO 200 in high DR/highlight-intensive situations (the water lost almost all definition in the ISO 100 shots, for example), and use ISO 100 when the image has a low DR to begin with, with no extreme highlights.

klee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Just a quick unscientific update...I was shooting waterfalls today...ISO 100 is definitely cleaner in the underexposed shadows...and there's a noticeable clip of the highlights... I think I'm going to use ISO 200 in high DR/highlight-intensive situations (the water lost almost all definition in the ISO 100 shots, for example), and use ISO 100 when the image has a low DR to begin with, with no extreme highlights.

I noticed the same thing with highlights at ISO100. I wasn't sure if it was the metering or not. I may try again in M, or EC-0.3

napilopez

Contributing Editor
Real Name
Napier Lopez
Just a quick unscientific update...I was shooting waterfalls today...ISO 100 is definitely cleaner in the underexposed shadows...and there's a noticeable clip of the highlights...

I think I'm going to use ISO 200 in high DR/highlight-intensive situations (the water lost almost all definition in the ISO 100 shots, for example), and use ISO 100 when the image has a low DR to begin with, with no extreme highlights.

I noticed the same thing with highlights at ISO100. I wasn't sure if it was the metering or not. I may try again in M, or EC-0.3

Sounds like it's behaving exactly as expected! I wonder the difference it makes in RAW, since you should get some extra highlight room there. Theoretically, the E-M1 should only go down to like GX1 or GH2 levels of dynamic range, which isn't too bad at all.

teknov

Mu-43 Regular
OMG i missed the small AF points on my E-PM2 now i have them back!!!! Also, the ISO 100/LOW is Amazing as well!!! THANK YOU OLY!!! Now for Focus Peaking and 1/8000 shutter speed lol :D

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
I heard that they are going to enable the Wifi chip found in the later E-M5s via a firmware upgrade too!
And then I woke up. Hey this is Olympus and their famous OM-10 Manual Adapter!

Anyway peaking mode would allow me to focus my OM 500mm mirror that shakes about so much I can't manually focus it.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Where can I get the 1.3 version before I update to the latest one?

You won't be able to get 1.3 now that 2.0 is released. Just update to 2.0.

It is the level for the updater program, not what level is in the camera. If you are at an early level in the camera it will update in a couple of stages, but it will do it for you, so long as you follow the instructions precisely, as on this page. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
It's me again with some questions.

DISCLAIMER for the weakly hearted. :)
Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the firmware update by Olympus and 'am happy with the new features. Even more, since I was already happy with my beloved E-M5 before the update. The following points are more observations than real critic.

I just updated my E-M5 and anything went fine. First thing was to test the LOW ISO function which seems to work - it cut the exposure time in half in fixed aperture mode. We already talked about the pros and cons about the LOW ISO.

Then, I happily went on to the smaller focus box. My first small disappointment was that the amount of focusing squares didn't change. Only the green square got smaller compared to the regular sized one. This means, one most likely has to use 'focus and recompose'. It might be that this is also the case with the E-M1, etc. but I would have liked to see more focus points compared to the regular setting.

Of course, the devil in me asks, whether Olympus only changed the size of the green square without adapting the focus area. :evilsmile: But that's easily testable and I can not imaging Olympus is going down such a road.

What really sort of disappoints me, however, is another thing: This maybe prevents me from using the much appreciated smaller focusing points as a default setting. I have [...] Home assigned to my Fn2 buttton. Upon pressing, the focus square toggels between my current selected and the middle one. I use it quite frequently in order to return home. When I press Fn2 now, the focus square in the middle is correctly selected, but at the same time also changes from the new small to the regular sized one. :-( This means, after pressing the 'go home' button, I have to press four additional buttons in order to get the smaller focus square back. That's statistically probably the average button strokes one needs in order to return to the home position by using the arrow buttons.

Is there a way to modify the [...] Home command and having it not change the focus square size?

First of all, you didn't have to recompose with the amount of focus areas when it was large, so you would hardly need to now & also, there is also the 'touch to focus' feature that can give a small rectangle area anywhere in the area able to operate it (not the outside border. The small focus box just allows you to easily get focus on more critical points now (like a bird in front of a busy background) where it was difficult to achieve before.

As far as home [...] is concerned, you can now go back & set that again (in Menu *A), but this time you also have the choice of a [ . ]s home too.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
How I hate Olympus menus..........the only message I get is ....cannot detect camea,... I am using Olympus usb cable, already have firmware 1.7, Installed Olympus updater...

And whats that all about? ...Cannot update firmware when more than 2 lenses attached, ...Have I missed another mount on the camera somewere???

Maybe because you didn't press (OK) on the camera for the top option (whatever that is, I'm too lazy to look it up) after it was connected. It then starts talking to the computer & says "HELLO, I'M HERE". That's when the Updater Program can detect there is a camera there. If you have issues recognising lenses, try leaving it off to update the body & see if that works.

martink111

Mu-43 Regular
Anybody here try this firmware update with a 3rd party battery? I have several Blue Nook/Wasabi batteries and I'd hate to see them bricked (although the improvements seem too good to pass up). Thanks in advance!

Yohan Pamudji

Mu-43 Veteran
Anybody here try this firmware update with a 3rd party battery? I have several Blue Nook/Wasabi batteries and I'd hate to see them bricked (although the improvements seem too good to pass up). Thanks in advance!

I did the update with an OEM Olympus battery in the camera, but tested just now turning on the camera with a 3rd party battery and it seems to be fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom