1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Omg! New omd firmware! :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiian, Jan 29, 2014.

1. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    omg iso 100! thats fantastic!
    is the 1/8000 limited by hardware?

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The huge AF points were one of the reasons I didn't like the E-M5.

I think now it looks even more attractive than ever (especially given recent discounts).

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not sure what other folks wanted, but those are easily the top 2 items on my list. Aside from focus peaking (which IMO is severely overrated), I can't think of anything else whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    OMG... did hell freeze over?!!

heaps excited about this! Fixes some of the qualms I had with the OMD. Hope this means I can use small AF + highlight/shadow alert!

Now if only they could allow us to assign mysets to mode dial...

• Like Like x 2
  6. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    Finally small AF point!
    Can't wait to update later today

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I came back online just to create this thread.

Oh my god.

Olympus ACTUALLY added useful features in a firmware update. The lack of small focus point is literally the most annoying thing about the E-M5 to me, despite it being my daily driver.

I honestly thought they were just going to keep the small focus point as premium advanced feature for it's newer cameras. The inclusion of pseudo ISO 100 is perhaps even more surprising. Congrats Olympus.

8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    This is great news!!! On both fronts...

9. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    This is something that no one else asks for, but I really wanted the timer feature with 10 consecutive shutter releases like in my wife's E-PM2. Since adding Wi-Fi feature to E-M5 is not possible, that's the second best alternative to carrying a separate remote shutter release module. That feature comes in very handy when you're trying to take a family portrait with two young boys. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    No...flipping...way. THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Two of my biggest complaints about the OM-D!!!

GO OLYMPUS! :D

Do me a favour guys...please send Olympus an email telling them we appreciate the firmware. I think a bit of positive feedback would go a long way to reinforcing it to Olympus that this is something we care about and something that matters to us. I'll be firing off an email to them shortly!

• Like Like x 2
  11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Just updated, quick and painless:

wEJKhUn.

dcZ38NP.

• Like Like x 12
  12. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    That's a great feature to ask for! I didn't realize the E-PM2 did that; my old G3 had a feature that allowed you to do 3 consecutive shots after the timer that sounds similar. I certainly miss it, particularly now that the screen doesn't allow for "selfies"!

I really hope that this sets a precedent for Olympus adding features.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    i suspect the release of the em10, has forced them to improve the features of the em5

• Like Like x 1
  14. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Long overdue and gratefully accepted....

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    The smaller focus box is fantastic news! Can't wait to get my E-M5 back from the repairs (IBIS acting up again - or "still" since they did nothing last time I sent it there)...

Indeed. That would have been great also. And btw, I didn't know my E-PM2 had that too! I'll have to find it when I get back home from work...

16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    How do I download the firmware update?

17. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Great news. Looking forward to update my trusted old E-M5. :)

You need Olympus' own firmware updater as well as the USB cable which came with the camera. Once the camera is turned on (with the cable attached!) It will ask you, in which mode it should operate. Select the first one (imo. 'storage') and then run the Olympus Updater program.

Regarding the LOW/100 ISO. Why is that a pseudo ISO. How is tho technically implemented?

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's just ISO 200 overexposed by a stop.

19. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It over exposes and pulls back the exposure in camera. There is greater potential blow your highlights.

• Like Like x 1
  20. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Oh, and another question in that direction: As ISO 200 seems to be the sensor's nativ sensitivity, are pictures taken with ISO LOW slightly inferior to ones taken with ISO 200? Comparable to ISO 200 vs. ISO 400 for example?

EDIT: stratokaster & hazing already answered the question before I hit the submit button. Thanks for the info!