Omg i saw a u43 user!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by uscrx, Aug 27, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Sitting on one of those white rocking chairs in Charlotte Airport in between concourse D and C I see a young man taking out a white Olympus with silver 14-42mm lens and take a picture.

This may be the first time I've seen someone else besides me use a m43 camera!!:eek:
  2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    You can't be serious. Where do you live?

I'm from Vienna, and go for walks daily. I consciously take notice of tourists and their cameras. I easily see north of 20 m43 bodies a day - usually GF1-3, and Pens. Granted, my city is packed with tourists all year round, and I walk past hundreds of camera wielding people a day. So 20 bodies might not be a large share, but in absolute numbers it's quite a bit I think. The majority uses entry dslrs of course, and smartphones.

Of course my experience has nothing to do with yours, because different markets show different user behavior. So the real question is: Are there just hardly any persons using cameras in your city, which makes spotting an m43 body rare, or any camera for that matter. Or is the system per se uncommon?
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I say two yesterday in at the Smithsonian. And EM5 and a Pen. No, I wasn't looking in my bag, either. Don't see many in my part of the US or at Disneyworld.
  4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I kid you not. Northern Cal. Most tourists come up to flyfish, hike, ski, and boat. We have several national Parks nearby...mostly dslr, p&s, cellphones....
  5. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I haven't seen one outside my wife or myself, but I have had someone ask about mine.
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I've only ever seen 3.

Old G1 with kit lens about 3 years ago here in Seattle.
    This past summer saw a E-M5 with kit zoom in San Francisco.
    GF-5 with PZ zoom... that I gave my girlfriend for her birthday :frown: so that one really doesn't count.
  7. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Here in Canada (Winnipeg MB) there are a few.
    I do get asked quite a few times if I am still shooting with some kind of old film camera and when they find out it is a digital they want to know more about it.
    I actually had a guy with a D800 try it out and he really liked it. Maybe another convert :smile: By the way my camera is an E-M5
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Ooh, exciting :)
    I rarely see m43 in the flesh too. I was recently pretty hyped up seeing a Canon mirrorless with kit zoom. At first I thought it was one of the newer GFmodels. Still nice to see somehow.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    The number of NEX users that I've seen far out number Micro Four Thirds shooters...:frown:

But, congratulations on your sighting! :smile:
  10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I see it all the time... after all I am in fantasyland:happy-084: I really do see them quite often. I see more Olympus Pens than Nex lately and a few Fujis... There are still far more DSLR users though.

I even saw an E-P5 the week it became available.
  11. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I saw more m43 on the last Melbourne photo walk than I saw during several years prior LOL.

They are rare around here and camera hobbyists tend to use almost exclusively DSLR's.
  12. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    I see quite a few OM-D around. Used to see mainly compacts/P&S but seeing much more entry DSLR.

One thing I have noticed about the few people who do have mirrorless or M43, they tend to look more the "arty"/designer/thinking types. I think they appeal to those of us who think a bit differently and aren't necessarily constrained by what has gone before.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    For interchangeable lens cameras mostly I see Canon's of various APS-C sizes, Nikon D-xx's of the last 6 years, and the occasional huge shiny pro Canon full frame body... with cheapo $300 zoom lens/50mm 1.8 on it :confused:, I suppose it's more of an accessory for those people (I blame Seattle's Amazon new money).

I've seen a handful of NEX cameras (that 3N looks like it would hurt my hands to hold with those ergonomics- where do my fingers go!?), all of them the lower end models- never seen a NEX 7 in person. Also the occasional Pentax KX (I love seeing an underdog)! Never seen a fuji, or a Samsung.

Of all of those interchangeable lens cameras- I can only think of 2-3 instances where they were using something other than the kit lens (not counting weddings or business events with professional photography etc), which were a few macro lenses out on hikes and some L lens zooms, and one L lens prime. I've seen more film SLR's being used than ยต4/3 in the last few years :frown:
  14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I once saw a white Samsung NX10. On the National Mall in DC, no less. In the hands of a Russian tourist :D

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Mu-43 mobile app
  15. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Never seen a single one in Montreal -- outside of a camera store. (Must be some, but I don't get out that much.)

DSLR is king up here -- for pros _and_ serious amateurs.
    Everything else is seen as the great unwashed consumer pea-shooter.

Which allows me and my Oly E-P5 great, stealthy anonymity! >:^]
  16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    We get a ton of tourists through here every year in Kota Kinabalu ~ I've seen a few m43 tourist shooters, even some rocking decent looking adapted manual lenses. What's surprising for me is just how many tourists are packing FF kits with heavy zooms. Seems like every other group I see, at least 3 or 4 are holding 5DII/III's or 6D's.
  17. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I've seen quite a few in Melbourne, every time I go out I see more.
    The last time I was in a bricks'n'mortar camera store in town (about a month back) a young lady in her mid twenties was enquiring about the GH3....I listened in and she knew her stuff asking all the right questions, the sales rep lavished praise on the camera and the system as a whole. She purchased the camera plus extras and the 12-35.
  18. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I'm sorry, but here in Indiana that kind of hallucination can only mean a flashback to the 60's! I'm coming up on my second anniversary with Mu-43. Other than mine, I have never seen one except in photo stores. i worry that when the MFT format is finally accepted in the cultural backwaters of the Midwest, M 4/3lenses will be referred to as "Legacies". At least they will be dirt cheap then.
  19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Saw my first two years ago at the Highland games in Pleasanton, second on Mt. Shasta and last weekend a E-430.

And I've Been looking, too!

Never seen one in a store.
  20. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Mt. Shasta?

You might have seen me!