1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMG...I bought an OM-D!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 26, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    This weekend I went up to Seoul (South Korea) for some sightseeing and popped into a few camera stores. One of the guys gave me a better price on an OM-D than even the best online retailers so I jumped on it!!!

I picked up a black OM-D body, a 9-18 and an extra battery. I'm also going to get a 45 1.8, just waiting for it to be released in black! I'm suuuuper stoked. I just got home, about to open the box to charge the battery, and play around with it.

Aside from everything I knew about the camera from all my online research (I've been interested in this camera since it was first announced), I have to say the buttons do feel crappy (spongy), but that seems to be the only handling shortcoming.

Perhaps because I've shot similar size/layout film cameras (Zenit 12 XP, tons of Canon AE-1/AE-1 Programs, etc) it feels really comfortable in my hand, even without the add-on grip. I loooove the way the twin dials are laid out (way better than the runner-up Sony NEX-6s) and, much to my surprise, the EVF felt very natural (again, more so than the Sony's for some reason). Size and weight-wise it feels great, I can't wait to start shooting with it!

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hey... Congratulation on your purchase. :)

I saw your post on POTN earlier about the 9-18mm. I did not respond as I had only tried it at the store but found it not wide enough for me. But people seems to love it.

It's not wide enough for me coz I was used to shooting 12mm on FF. I am pretty sure you will love it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Congratulations and welcome to the E-M5 world! You're gonna love it!

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks!! :D The battery is charging as I type this! :D

Yeah, I was concerned that the 9-18 wouldn't be wide enough, but then I realized that I shot the Tokina 11-16 on an APS-C Canon happily for a year or two (18mm equiv) and the 16-35L II on my 1D3 for a year and a bit (21mm equiv)...it's not quite as wide as my 16-35L II on the 5D2, but I knew sacrifices had to be made...the whole point of going mirrorless was to have a very small/light kit that I'd still be very happy with...I think I finally got that!! :D

On Saturday I walked around for about 12-13 hours with the 135L in a lens bag and the 5D2 + 16-35L II on my shoulder and even then my shoulder was sore by the end of the day. I loooooooove my big DSLRs, but considering all the travelling I do and the KIND of travelling I do (hostels, walking, walking, walking, walking), this is a good idea. If I'm just going around town for a day or doing a roadtrip, it'll be the 5D2. If I'm going away for the weekend, the week or a couple of months, it'll be the OM-D.

By the way, I was wondering if it was you from POTN, I thought I recognized your username! :D

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks...I think so too! :D

I can't wait to have the battery charged and set up the camera, then go shooting in a few days. :D (Sadly, it's 10 p.m. on Sunday here and my weekdays are packed).

6. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Haha I bet the weekdays are gonna be painfully slow for you and can't wait for them to be over and be able to play with your new toy. :)

7. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    There are some amazing places in Seoul to buy camera gear, Namdaemun for new gear and Chungmuro for old film gear are my two favorite places to go. I currently live in Japan, and it's cheeper to buy things in Seoul. I'll be moving there this fall for a bit and I'm afraid my savings account will be in trouble. I already have a list of old film cameras I'm search for. Lol, I also have a list of canon and nikon gear to look for for some friends, as I got them some killer deals last time I went.

8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Even with the current yen drop it is still cheaper in Seoul? Wow!!

I think the new prices at Map camera,Fujiya camera and others are pretty decent.:)

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...got it in Namdaemun...went to about 10-15 stores, found the two with the best prices, then pitted them against each other and bought from the cheapest one! Even their original prices were good, but with a bit of haggling I got a great price on the kit! I just wish the 45 was already out in black, would have been nice to get a screaming deal on that too haha.

10. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeap its me :D I moved to a different country and I now walk a lot to anywhere I need to go so a full dslr kit(3-4kg) is just to heavy to carry around the whole day... or for daily use. So like you I searched for a lighter very capable replacement and ended up getting the OM-D too :D

I see with the lenses you used before looks like the 9-18 would be a good candidate... have you held it already? The moment I tried it I did not know how to retract it back haha it was kinda weird.

11. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    What lens were you shooting on full frame that was 12mm?

Thanks

12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Hehe, I love shopping is Seoul... only place I've seen where 20 competing camera shops are all lined up right next to each other. And they'll usually knock another 5-10% off the final haggled price if you pay in cash instead of card.

Monk3y, I'll have to do some checking here at the local shops to check the prices with the exchange rate falling so much these past few months... but everything here generally more expensive. And camera bodies are often region coded for language to stop grey exports out of Japan. The normal list prices in Seoul are usually about the same, but if you pay full price in Seoul you're a sucker or an obvious tourist.

13. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I used to shoot with D700 and Sigma 12-24mm.

It was the lens that actually made me switch to FF some 3 years ago. I think more than half of my photos(landscape) were shot with it.

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    "OMG" <- that guy is one heck of a salesman isn't he!? :smile:

Congrats! Have fun with it, and let's see lots of images.

15. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Wow... I wanna go there haha

Yeah no luck with Pana bodies here as well as all of them are Jap language only :mad:

Just look at the 45mm locally it's just $260 new from map camera, the 7-14mm is $730:eek::rolleyes:

check them out.

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sounds like we're in the same boat! :D I'm just tired of lugging beastly gear around haha. I'm keeping my Canon kit because the IQ is amazing and if I'm driving somewhere and I can have it off my shoulders now and again, it's excellent...but for the kind of wandering I've been doing the past couple of years, the OM-D is perfect!

Yeah, I've been playing with the lens with the camera off (batt. charging), the lock seems pretty intuitive, I'm sure it won't be a big problem haha...I'm not a fan of the lens extending so much at 9mm or the fact that I'm going to have to twist it closed all the time (my 16-35 now, the 17-40 before that and the Tokina 11-16 before that were all non-extending lenses, so I'm used to just leaving it wherever), but it'll be awesome to carry such a tiny package when not in use!

Haha yeah, I speak a bit of Korean, just enough that they know I'm not a tourist. I also walk in there knowing exactly what stuff is worth at the cheap online retailers and ask immediately for the cash price...somehow they all seem to realize that trying to overcharge won't work and most of the prices were within 5% of each other!! :D And yeah, it was awesome that they were all in a row, I started at one end and went to the other. Then I went back to the two places with the best prices, showed them the other's quote (with the business cards so they knew I wasn't just making it up) and told them to beat it...the lowest won my business. ;) Took a bit of time, and haggling is not for everyone, but in the end I got brand-spanking new stuff at used prices (back home), so I'm happy as a pig in mud! :D

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha thanks...you bet!!! I can't wait to start playing with the little guy.

First order of business, though: I need a strap. I hate OEM straps and for about 15 bucks, I can get good fabric straps here, I'm thinking something very low key (the theme of this whole kit is to be as unobtrusive/go unnoticed/have thieves thinking it's just a cheap old film camera) as possible...probably just plain black or as close to that as I can get!)

18. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I would have wanted to keep my DSLR as well but kinda don't want to spend more, beside my D700 was already aging so in a year or two it might hit bottom prices already... so I sold it.

Yeap... I have the 75-300mm II and can't believe I have a FF Equivalent of 150-600mm on a package smaller than the canon/nikon 24-70mm :) This system is tiny indeed.

19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    My first non PnS was a JN GF1, I had one of the first ones w/ the new firmware that wasn't hackable... took another year for them to get that hack figured out, I wont buy a panny body here again. Oly seems overpriced for most of the bodies I've seen, but the lenses are usually = to the USD conversion, or was prior to the yen fall. I'll have to go price the 7-14 and 75mm tomorrow then, oh or wait for the black 75mm! Dangit, I really need to take some stuff to try and sell/trade in as well. I told myself that I wouldn't buy anything new until I sold of some of the unused stuff I've accumulated :/

20. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Haha GAS is really bad. You can check map camera's prices online. I got the 75mm for about $700 used.

I prefer map coz they seem to be very comfortable to deal with.