OMG - EM1X

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Not sure what I have done here but I’ve just ordered an EM1X camera.

I’m sure it’s going to be a mahoosive learning curve but can’t wait to get started - wildlife and sports, HH high res.

Any tips and thoughts would be most welcome. My plan is battery in .... press buttons and see what they do.

Will keep you posted

Rob

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I bought one recently as the price became more realistic and a little more affordable (sub £2000)
If you’ve never picked one up you will be surprised how well crafted the grip is - it is very well designed ergonomically - it’s one of those cameras that makes you want to pick it up and use it
It is very big though so be prepared for that - but in the hand doesn’t seem so big
Looking forward to hearing your first impressions and experience with it !
They are currently going for £1899.00 in the UK (at least until 02/12/19) and with the quality of the construction, dust and weather sealing etc it is now very good value
I hope Olympus moves a few more now the price is more attractive
Regards
Rob

Rambling Sam

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam
I have an E-M1 Mk1 and looked at the E-M1X but I don't need the built-in R/handgrip, (the E-M1 grip rarely gets used) because of the additional bulk. I do however really like the E-M1X's repositioned on/off switch, which reminds me of my E-1. This leads me to wonder, will we see an E-M1 Mk 3 and if we do, how are they going to make this different enough from the E-M1X and E10 Mk3 which sell either side of this?

A Mk 3 version of the E-M1 won't have an improved sensor, as that would 'upset' their E-M1X users, whilst not offering a R/handgrip would probably get E-M1 Mk2 users complaining! The pricing difference of their existing cameras doesn't give them much to play around with either. That leads me to wonder if maybe, the E-M1 Mk 2 is going to be the last of this line?

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Probably be a year before you see a MK3.

I doubt you'll see a higher pixel count sensor. If I were a betting man, my money would be on Olympus doing much more with HHHR/multiple exposures/scans, which if sped up and refined, could open up many possibilities including higher dynamic range and noise control.

Also, they are barely scratching the surface with computational photography.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have an E-M1 Mk1 and looked at the E-M1X but I don't need the built-in R/handgrip, (the E-M1 grip rarely gets used) because of the additional bulk. I do however really like the E-M1X's repositioned on/off switch, which reminds me of my E-1. This leads me to wonder, will we see an E-M1 Mk 3 and if we do, how are they going to make this different enough from the E-M1X and E10 Mk3 which sell either side of this?

A Mk 3 version of the E-M1 won't have an improved sensor, as that would 'upset' their E-M1X users, whilst not offering a R/handgrip would probably get E-M1 Mk2 users complaining! The pricing difference of their existing cameras doesn't give them much to play around with either. That leads me to wonder if maybe, the E-M1 Mk 2 is going to be the last of this line?

Will be interesting to see what the E-M1 Mark III will become. They might add the GPS to it and imrpoved EVF and a brighter LCD for daylight. Sensor may jump to 24 MP which wouldn't be too damaging to E-M1X sales. Or they might even hit 30+ MP too as Nikon did that with their D850, while their top (expensive) D5 series are half or less than the D8xx models, but a big gain in buffer and shooting speeds.

I suspect the E-M1X Mark II will be a big sensor size increase if they keep it. Might take 3 years to get there, but I think that will be the only major change other than maybe some new AI Focusing additions. Nikon, Sony, Canon all play that "megapixel increase" game to push sales. I'd guess maybe a 32-36 MP sensor size given the other FF guys seem to jump around a 1.5x increase in 3-5 model years. Going forward with smaller MFT sensors, maybe incorporate some Smart AI into their onboard hardware similar to Topaz Denoise AI or Topaz Sharpening AI too.

They'll need to do something major to increase sales.

Last edited:

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
.....with a free screwdriver?
Gonna need the Doctor Who sonic screwdriver for a job like that ?
5aaff8d216d94401e1bb3fe2-large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
To strengthen what was said in that excellent review, I am starting to consider the E-M1X as seriously underrated. It isn’t that it has better performance and IQ than the E-M1 Mkii, because those are only noticeably better in certain applications, but the same in most. Instead, it‘s the body itself, the better IBIS, and the HHHR. Together, the freedom and flexibility the X has over the Mkii (which already exhibits both in spades) is mind blowing. Secondly, it’s greater durability, weather sealing and dual battery slots inspire a great deal of reliability and stamina. I now understand why the X was billed as a professional version of the Mkii. They are only little details, but they add up to a more confident and dependable package.

Even for travel photography, which common sense told me would be better with the Mkii for its smaller size, I am starting to appreciate the X more, as I am finding I can get shots that would require a tripod with the Mkii. I stretch the image stabilization of the Mkii to its limit on a regular basis, but the X‘s one extra stop takes it to another level that is greater than it sounds. I like to shoot with my tripod, but sometimes that is too slow or impractical, and there is no question that the X is the lighter package. The next thing I noticed was how much smoother the handling and controls are with the body. It has such fantastically designed ergonomics, and switching from portrait to landscape orientation is so much less awkward. It took me a while to start using the portrait orientated controls, but once I did, the way everything was exactly the same was a revelation.

None of those things necessarily mean I am getting a better shot than with a Mkii and a tripod, but in some cases they do mean I’m getting a shot at an angle and/or a speed that I otherwise could not, and the user experience is on a constant basis more enjoyable and (as the reviewer said) expand my creative options. I just came out of the very dark cathedral in Seville, Spain. At ISO 200-400, I was shooting either High Res or 5-frame, 1-stop interval exposure bracketed images whilst holding the camera as high over my head as I could stretch to avoid all the people walking around. From the rear LCD zoomed all the way in, the images look tack sharp. I can do some pretty long hand-held exposures with the Mkii’s IBIS, but not that.

I haven’t even started using the X as a wildlife camera yet, which was why I originally bought it. I have taken my Mkii to some very extreme conditions, and it performed reasonably well. I am absolutely confident that the X will hold up even better. I still want AI tracking and the 150-400mm Pro before I consider this a complete wildlife rig, but hopefully we will be getting both in 2020.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah , I don't think I'll every buy one but I appreciate the purpose of the E-M1X , much more than I did when it was initially launched. As you said its about the overall experience and the freedom those little quality of life improvements bring you. Yeah its not a small camera but its not big just for the sake of being big its big for a reason and it works.

Thats the thing with MFT in general. A lot of my friends poo poo the system but when they see the things my "little" G9 can do and when I give it to them to use themselves they're amazed. I think Olympus and Panasonic have, overall, some of the best , most innovative cameras out there and they deserve a lot more credit for that than they currently get even from us , the current customers of the system.

Rambling Sam

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam
I would certainly agree that ergonomically the E-MX1 is a considerable improvement on the earlier m4/3rds cameras. It's possible that my dislike of r/hand grips is somewhat biased due to lugging around in 1999 a Minolta Dynax 9 with the r/hand grip on it - That with the standard zoom lens on it, weighed a shoulder-aching 2.4kg! To say the original E-1 was a revelation would be an understatement.

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
First pics with 300 f4

45662F14-9739-48C7-9E09-F8FE8A425E98.jpeg

DF231900-CDF3-4863-8EAC-17E882C1A996.jpeg

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very nice work on your first outing with it! :thumbup:

It does take some time to get used to it. I even wandered back to the E-M1 II for a while, but went back to the E-M1X as its battery holds out longer for me. Some things it does better for me too: i.e. Lower light AF lock-ons and faster focus.

I've started shooting hummingbirds "in flight" using its auto-focus limiter set to 4-9 feet with the hummers, along with using a Better Beamer attached to a Godox TT685-O running in HSS mode. The focus limiter part keeps the flash from firing if they get outside of my flash range even with a lock-on or too close. Cannot do that with Panasonic yet as they set an arbitrary Near and Far for their range limiter.

With the Better Beamer, I found I can aim it by moving it downward with its Velcro on the Fresnel lens as the head of the Godox flash pivot is sort of fidgety with its weight. The MagMod is a drooping mess to try and aim well even though it is more expensive. One thing the MagMod does do is keep the light off the lens itself and shows up in the bird's eye. The Beamer can mess up the catch-lights or light up the ground if they are down low to it. I taped black Cinefoil on the underside of the Beamer to block that stray light.

Interesting camera.

Just acquired the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens and was chasing this guy around the yard.

full_108116702-fs.jpg

Last edited:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
Woollyback

Beautiful shots. They justify the cost of the camera. I will more than likely get an E-M1X someday. Probably when they become a little more available pre-owned.

Latest threads

Top Bottom