OMDS to rename (simplify) Camera Models New Names Included

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The thread is about the camera names, as clearly stated in the thread title, and no one has even suggested that a camera's name would ever factor into their decision to buy it or not. We are just staying on topic and giving our opinions about the new names. The real question is why YOU are getting so wound up? The thread title is clear, so if you are not interested at all in the topic, as you so clearly state and as suggested by your strawman argument, then don't click on the thread and don't post anymore in it. Simple.
1, more than a few of the comments in this thread are kind of pathetic, and 2, @speedy hardly seems to be 'so wound up'.

The reality is that most camera naming conventions are kind of 'meh', and that isn't changing in this case, apparently. It doesn't seem out of line for someone to click on this thread and then find it somewhat off-putting, leading to a comment. What's your excuse?

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1, more than a few of the comments in this thread are kind of pathetic, and 2, @speedy hardly seems to be 'so wound up'.

The reality is that most camera naming conventions are kind of 'meh', and that isn't changing in this case, apparently. It doesn't seem out of line for someone to click on this thread and then find it somewhat off-putting, leading to a comment. What's your excuse?
My excuse for what? For commenting on the actual topic?

Most camera naming conventions are kind of 'meh'? Isn't that what a lot of people here have been saying? It's okay for you to say it, but it's not okay for the rest of us to say it? What are we supposed to do in this thread if we don't talk about camera naming conventions?

I am not a big fan of the rumoured new names. Others aren't either. We just expressed our opinion about the new names in a thread about the new names. What exactly is wrong with that? The only ones who are getting worked up here are you and Speedy. We just commented and gave our opinions on the topic, we are not so focused on the behaviours of other users like you and Speedy are. If you don't like the topic, and you are not interested in reading other people's opinions on the topic, then don't click on the thread anymore. Simple.

Well, my favorite virtual-toy-tanks at a well known online tank game are the WWII era British “Matilda” and the Soviet “KV-1S” but I must say I “feel” the Matilda with more affection due to its lovely name.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most camera naming conventions are kind of 'meh'? Isn't that what a lot of people here have been saying? It's okay for you to say it, but it's not okay for the rest of us to say it? What are we supposed to do in this thread if we don't talk about camera naming conventions?

I am not a big fan of the rumoured new names. Others aren't either. We just expressed our opinion about the new names in a thread about the new names. What exactly is wrong with that? The only ones who are getting worked up here are you and Speedy. We just commented and gave our opinions on the topic, we are not so focused on the behaviours of other users like you and Speedy are. If you don't like the topic, and you are not interested in reading other people's opinions on the topic, then don't click on the thread anymore. Simple.
Meh

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
They can name them whatever they like as far as I'm concerned, but renaming existing products has implications for selling on your bodies to upgrade, my EM1 Mk2s becoming 'pre 2022' version.

Okay, so it probably won't make much difference to my Mk2s - they are probably out of production for ages now anyway, but if I had a Mk3, I wouldn't be happy if they renamed it mid-cycle.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow. Someone's really taking this to heart. You could even say getting wound up over it 🤣🤣🤣 You should relax and chill a bit. Like me for example.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wow. Someone's really taking this to heart. You could even say getting wound up over it 🤣🤣🤣 You should relax and chill a bit. Like me for example.
Well in his defense, you did pop into a topic specifically about the naming convention of the OMDS line of cameras and opened your statement by throwing shade at the whole group for talking about specifically that. :shakehead:

Reminds me of a couple of curmudgeons that recently, and thankfully briefly, blew in to basically start every comment with a negative note about all the previous commenters or the members of this site as a whole.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well in his defense, you did pop into a topic specifically about the naming convention of the OMDS line of cameras and opened your statement by throwing shade at the whole group for talking about specifically that. :shakehead:

Reminds me of a couple of curmudgeons that recently, and thankfully briefly, blew in to basically start every comment with a negative note about all the previous commenters or the members of this site as a whole.
Don't think so. I said people. Not everyone. If the hat fits, wear it. I know it's now fashionable to be perpetually offended these days, but give it a rest for a bit okay :)

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm not taking anything to heart. These are just rumours, and I was just trying to make jokes about potential name changes like almost everyone else in this thread was. When I expressed worry about people confusing my future Olympus/OM camera to a Canon camera, of course it's kind of true, but I thought it was kind of funny too. I thought it was a light-hearted thread, I didn't see people getting "wound up" about the names. I think you overreacted a bit, but I also overreacted a bit to your post as well, so I apologize for that. I ruined the thread much more than you did.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
but give it a rest for a bit okay
Some "people" really need to stop pretending their own rudeness is perfectly ok and any counter comment should be squashed. As you said, if you don't like it, ignore me and ignore the thread. Okay? :coco:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not taking anything to heart. These are just rumours, and I was just trying to make jokes about potential name changes like almost everyone else in this thread was. When I expressed worry about people confusing my future Olympus/OM camera to a Canon camera, of course it's kind of true, but I thought it was kind of funny too. I thought it was a light-hearted thread, I didn't see people getting "wound up" about the names. I think you overreacted a bit, but I also overreacted a bit to your post as well, so I apologize for that. I ruined the thread much more than you did.
It's all good. I don't see anyone "ruining" anything. It's a discussion, and discussions invariably involve differing points of view. This is a good thing. It makes life interesting. Disagreement is normal, I'm happy that you have different ideas about various things. I might not understand your views, I might even attempt to change your mind on occasion, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Cheers

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some "people" really need to stop pretending their own rudeness is perfectly ok and any counter comment should be squashed. As you said, if you don't like it, ignore me and ignore the thread. Okay? :coco:
You really need to calm down bloke. The only rudeness in the thread seems to be emanating from your posts, such as this :coco: Is English not your first language by chance?

BDR-529

Mu-43 All-Pro
Imagine in the future telling people we use a "1D" or "5D" or "10D" and then always having to explain to them it's not a Canon camera.

I'm pretty sure that Canon has already ownership of names which follow the pattern: ND, N0D and N00D (N=integer) in the ILC industry..
This is standard practice in any industry where huge amount of marketing money is spent over decades on adverticing models which follow certain naming pattern.

For example classical Porsche 911 was originally launched as 901 in 1963 and 84 samples were built before Peugeot objected that they own road-going car names which have three digit numbers with 0 in the middle and so Porsche turned 901 into 911.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Olympus got into trouble with naming their original OM-1 camera... Remember the original model name was supposed to be M-1 and a few were actually made and sold as M-1, The M was for "Maitani," but Leitz quickly made them aware of their misstep.

pgolik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paweł
OM-1D, OM-5D, and OM-10D would be fine by me, just adding a "D" to the old OM system naming format. Still with the silly idea that a lower number corresponds to a higher model, but that's quite common in the digital age. And single digits for (semi)pro, and double digits for entry level (just like my first OM-10).

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom