OMDS to rename (simplify) Camera Models New Names Included

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Easiest method is to just name them by rank and year. Such as Top-20xx (the flagship model so the E-M1s), Middle-20xx (basically the E-5 series), and Bottom-20xx (sorry E-M10 users). Now there is zero confusion of where they stand in the hierarchy and which was released when. Just don't release two of the same level in the same year. Heck just get rid of the 20 and only use the last two digits for the year, eg. Top-22. And to keep the text only three letters on all go with Top, Mid, Low. Pen series can just be Pen-xx.

"Dude, nice camera. What is that?"
"Oh this? Just came out, the Low-22."

One off models like the Pen-F or the Air will be called "Boutique-xx". Since they are special they can use full length text names.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Personally I think it’s good news to simplify the names
OM1D is a hell of a lot easier on the brain and the tongue than OM-D E-M1 and the proposed designations have got to be better for people new to the system looking at them in stores etc

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I tried an OM 1D, but it was tooooo smaallll!!

So then I tried an OM 10D, but it was tooooo biiiggggg!

But then I tried an OM 5D, and it was just right!

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure why people get wound up over naming conventions. When I buy a camera, or lens, it's on the balance of features to cost. They could call it whatever they want, I do not care. It's not like I'm going to buy it without ever looking at the feature/specification list, price, & preferably handling it, in person, at a store.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Personally I think it’s good news to simplify the names
OM1D is a hell of a lot easier on the brain and the tongue than OM-D E-M1 and the proposed designations have got to be better for people new to the system looking at them in stores etc
Btw, does anyone actually say the whole "ou-em-dash-dee ee-dash-em-one?" and if so, why on earth? People should just say "ee-em-one" and be done with it. Everyone knows what you mean. But yeah, when searching the cameras online, the longer the name, the more garbage the search results have.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Not sure why people get wound up over naming conventions. When I buy a camera, or lens, it's on the balance of features to cost. They could call it whatever they want, I do not care. It's not like I'm going to buy it without ever looking at the feature/specification list, price, & preferably handling it, in person, at a store.
I only get 'wound up' when people can't name the camera they are using by using confusing abbreviations that are ambiguous or just wrong, despite the model name being obvious on the camera. ;)

Only Nikon has a legitimate reason to torture the english speaking market with strange naming schemes: They have been trying for decades to persuade the press to properly pronounce Nikon as “Neekon” yet the press carries on its wrong “Naikon” mantra.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure why people get wound up over naming conventions.
Well because this is the internet.

And I don't think people give a lot of thought to the names of the models they own but it can be very confusing if you are not familiar with a brand or line of cameras and are trying to research potential model when you are in the market. For example, I am not familiar with Panasonic cameras, I have seen all the names thrown about here, but it doesn't seem like their names make a lot of sense half the time either and I would be hard pressed at first trying to determine which are the high end flagship models and which are the lower tiered ones simply looking at the model names.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The thread is about the camera names, as clearly stated in the thread title, and no one has even suggested that a camera's name would ever factor into their decision to buy it or not. We are just staying on topic and giving our opinions about the new names. The real question is why YOU are getting so wound up? The thread title is clear, so if you are not interested at all in the topic, as you so clearly state and as suggested by your strawman argument, then don't click on the thread and don't post anymore in it. Simple.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
See I'm just the opposite. If I see an item with a catchy name, I pound that "Add to cart" button immediately, without a care in the world about the function, features, specifications, cost, value, whatever.

- K

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom