OMDS to rename (simplify) Camera Models New Names Included

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
So was ownership of the existing model names retained by Olympus? I sorta figured it would just be a matter of changing the "Olympus" branding to "OM" or something. This rumor doesn't seem to address that elephant in the room.

Also, why retain the "D" for digital? It seems pretty unlikely OM Digital Systems is going to be producing an analog camera in the future. I get that it could cause some confusion with the original OM series, but those have been retired for 20 years now and I presume most people could tell the difference.

- K

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So "OM" is not only part of the new company's name, it's also going to become the main part of the name each camera model they produce? Yeah, that's very simple and won't be confusing at all to anyone.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sigh
Why fix what isn't broken.
Marketing guys trying to justify their jobs.

If OMDS thinks the camera names are confusing try Oracle Business Intelligence, Enterprise Edition. The guy who created that name should have been fired. He broke the primary rule in marketing, an easy to remember product name. I could never remember the name, and constantly asked the Oracle sales rep to remind me what the name of their Data Warehouse product was.
Image this, you know you want to buy something, but the name is so difficult to remember, that you can never remember it.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
As long as the new naming is easier than the Panasonic naming system……
Yeah, the Panasonic body naming has gotten quite baroque. It started out simple enough: G1, GH1, GF1, G2 etc. (although the G10 was an early outlier) but I have a hard time keeping track of whether, for example, a G100 is supposed to be above or below a G90. Not to mention that the G90 is also referred to as the G91 or the G95 in some other markets.

Still, what's even worse is the horrible inconsistency of their lens model naming. Thankfully no one actually refers to lenses by their part number, because they're just a mess. All the part numbers start with "H-" and they all contain the focal lengths, but that's the limit of any pattern I can see. Sometimes the focal lengths are represented using 3 digits (so the 7–14 f/4 is H-F007014), sometimes they use 2 digits (so the second version of the 14–42 kit lens is H-FS1442A) and sometimes they mix and match 2 and 3 digits (so the original 12–35 f/2.8 is H-HS12035).

How hard is it, really, to define some consistent format for your model/ part numbers?

- K

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well this is all fine and dandy I guess, but you can't really name anything if you don't release something. So release something and we'll talk.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I've spent most of my working life using classification systems.

There's always some bright spark who wants to change the numbering system of the Companies Act (not the contents, just the section numbers ... ), or the packaging of Vegemite (been the same for over 70 years, so instantly recognisable) .

Some of the numbering systems in use in photographic equipment defy rational explanation.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Imagine in the future telling people we use a "1D" or "5D" or "10D" and then always having to explain to them it's not a Canon camera.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I think it's a tech thing. CPUs and GPUs have gone through all kinds of crazy iterations and oneupsmanship. As long as you can select the text and do a right-click browser search and get the right product, I think they call that "mission accomplished."

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
Olympus Marketing - “Don’t you know the Dewey decimal system!”
200.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Olympus Marketing - “Don’t you know the Dewey decimal system!”
Ok, so selfie cameras are for taking pics of yourself, kinda like autobigraphy...those go under 92. Portrait lenses are for biographical pictures...file those under 92 as well. I see a lot of closeups of flowers and bugs shot with macro lenses...put those under Natural Science, 500-599. Landscape lenses...Geography, 900-999.

- K

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom