OMD wheel falls off 1 mo out of warranty, cost: $186!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by denniscloutier, Jun 14, 2013.

1. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    So less than a month out of warranty the control wheel from my OMD falls off, which seems to be a regular problem, and the scum suckers want almost $190 to replace it! Does this seem reasonable to you?

Sorry, I just had to vent.

Certainly if anyone asked me right now my recommendation would be to avoid Olympus cameras. Unreliability and poor quality control is one thing, but this seems pretty outrageous to me.

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think some have just glued it themselves so I am not sure how they get to $190. Try contacting Olympus customer service for clarification.

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you are in the USA, be aware that Olympus US no longer does their own repairs; they are done by Precision Camera. There is a basic flat rate given as the price for out of warranty work. The actual price may wind up being different. I would suggest calling Precision Camera direct regarding repair fees. Calling Olympus support sends you to a call center on another continent.

FWIW, I would re-glue the dial myself, but I wouldn't use any type of super glue. Epoxy is possibly best.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'll second that, epoxy is a much more permanent bond but use it carefully. It can take a few hours to set so I would make sure you didn't leave it setting where a little epoxy could drip into the camera.

5. denniscloutier

Dec 24, 2011
    Unfortunately the wheel was lost. I was carrying the camera on a tripod and I couldn't find the wheel after it fell off.

I'm in Canada, and Olympus uses a different contractor here, but I think I will try giving them a call direct and see if I get a different answer.

Thanks,
    Dennis

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    If it's out of warranty you might want to call more than one authorized repair center. Maybe the wheel is part of a larger assembly and the part exposed broke off while there may be a larger part inside the camera?

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Its out of warranty.. as for amount. Have you called a plumber or electrician lately.. you'll be dinged that just to have them show up at the door, let alone do any work.

As for rate of failure rate, Olympus has sold thousands of the OM-D so some failures are expected... the problem with the internet is that a few people posting on a forum makes seem likes a QC (quality control) issue. With the exception of the rear screen screw crack, Olympus has an EXCELLENT quality control record and very low failure rate.

A wheel as suggested above may be part of larger part to repair.. so if the part costs $30 bucks, plus 1 hour of tear down and rebuild plus Olympus making a bit of it, plus the repair center making a bit of it.. it adds up.

Its on the high side definitely but I still have trouble understanding how car dealers can charge 600 to change 2 sets of pads and 2 rotors that takes just an hour to do and ~150 in parts... (at retail, let alone wholesale prices they'd get them at).

8. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    OH yeah.. call Olympus and work with them. I remember when I was in university and bought MS Office 95 student edition and 6 weeks later office 97 came out, I called MS and explained my position (poor student, just invested in them and already out of date) and they were EXCELLENT and very understanding and sent me a FULL 97 office suite at no charge.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Out of warranty...call a couple of places in the US that I have used and both did excellent work at what I thought was a reasonable price. Cameta Camera refurbishes a lot of cameras and they did a great repair job on my Nikon D2H. Also KEH which sells used gear has a great repair department. Just suggesting a couple I'm familiar with.
    Bobby

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Having seen Canon repair bills, or places like SK grimes on my large format stuff. $189 I'd take that ALL day long. Photography is not a cheap hobby.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unfortunately, flat rate repairs mean that small problems tend to cost a ridiculous amount. I'd try and see if you can source the part from somewhere online, and reattach it yourself.

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    A guy came to fix my air conditioner for the rattle it was making. He arrived, looked inside it and pulled a wrinkled and dirty label out of the fan box. Cost me $195.00.

I asked him, at least open your tool box and rattle some tools around to help make me feel like i got my money's worth.

13. denniscloutier

Dec 24, 2011
    I suppose the flat rate is good in some situations in that it is reassuring to know how much it is going to cost before you send it in.

Anyways, I've calmed down some now. After spending about 45min on the phone with various people at Olympus today I've gotten it down to their minimum charge of about $85. This includes about $20 shipping so I think it is reasonable.

I suppose the use of the term "scum suckers" was maybe a little strong :redface:. I apologize to any Olympus employees that are reading this.

14. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    :thumbup: to Olympus for working with you.

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    :thumbup:To Olympus +1
    Got an electric clothes dryer long ago and it quit after a couple of years. Repairman came to the house and fixed it in about 5 minutes. Was $200! Same thing happened again in two years, this time I watched him carefully and picked up everything he dropped. Again $200! A few years later it broke again, got part number off package he discarded, removed old wiring harness and sensor switch (after taking Polaroid shot), installed new harness and sensor based on notes I made after last repair + reviewing Polaroid. Cost$20! I've still got that dryer after 25 years and about 5 more repairs. Now if Olympus would just let us watch them fix our cameras! :2thumbs: