1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD wedding pics and some thoughts about it :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Apr 5, 2014.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    a few from the E-M5 from this past season shot about 25 weddings with mixed FF and OMD still shooting FF along side cull rate about 50/50 so tend to fill in so don't have a lot of MAIN shots :) with the M4/3 main reason was limited lens I had bought for the E-M5 was more my M4/3 filled in while I had a full FF kit but this season expanding my lens selection with the E-M1 and reducing my FF kit
    learned a lot last year shooting it though and decided to get a few more primes and not use the 12-35 zoom as much so bought the 17 Oly might get the Panny Leica 42.5 end of this month?

things I still need to nail down for me is the grand entrance fast moving dark reception halls it just cant nail the focus yet :( and bouquet toss and garter toss is tough to nail down besides that feel I could shoot %95 with OMD still kinda on the fence of dumping the M4/3 for wedding stuff ?
    my reasons would be lack of good TTL and the fact I cant get the focus to nail those tough shots when I need it ! and don't want to keep up with two systems for ever :)
    won't ever give up having and shooting it for other things like portraits and stuff where I don't come across those situations though :) and still will be my only go to camera for all other work !
    I also do feel its the future for sure ! waiting on a few lens like the 40-150 from Oly and the focus to get nailed down a bit better for me :)
    my other option is doing what I am doing now shoot both along side each other ?
    my other option is shoot OMD all day till reception then go all FF but the Oly does do very well at the reception for some things

bottom line my problem is I love the OMD for weddings for lots of things but also hate the low light focus ? and I just don't love the FF at all but it does the job !
    what I love about the OMD tilt screen and touch to focus ! light weight and amazing lens like the Oly 75 ! I also rely on a super wide a lot which my FF has so wanting to wait for the new Oly super wide that is coming but since its next year most likely will get the 9-18 to hold me over :)

on the plus side :)
    this season is going well with the E-M1 really loving the handling much much more and the viewfinder is so much nicer :) looking forward to shooting my new 17 and getting the 42.5 and not relying as much on the FF gear see how that goes the next few weddings and maybe I just need to do all primes as some have said on the Oly for work in the darker areas ? maybe the 17 will be able to get the focus in those situations ?
    anyone shooting weddings %100 with M4/3 would love to hear how you nail those and see some samples :)

my main work is here
    www.chaddahlquist.com

al these are the E-M5

Oly 75 - f/1.8
    m43wed_01.

P/L 12-35@21 - f/2.8
    m43wed_03.

P/L 12-35@35 - f/2.8
    m43wed_04.

Oly 75 - f/4.5
    m43wed_05.

Oly 75 - f/2
    m43wed_06.

Oly 60 (macro) - f/5.6
    m43wed_07.

P/L 12-35@35 - f/4
    m43wed_08.

P/L 12-35@12 - f/4.5
    m43wed_09.

P/L 12-35@12 - f/4
    m43wed_10.

• Like Like x 27
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice shots. Do you do punctuation? I struggled to read your post.

• Like Like x 5
  3. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    thanks and sorry about that I have insane bad grammar :)
    but make up for it in other areas :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Great work Chad!! I am constantly scouring the web for wedding shooters using Olympus gear. My season hasn't started yet here in Indiana, but I plan to start with FF and 4/3. My at-home tests indicate that my EM-1 with a 2.8 lens attached should focus in almost no light. However, I know things are different in the real world.

One question...do you shoot and deliver in 4:3 or 3:2?

Keep up the good work man :smile:
    Randall

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    You have a VERY good eye! Fresh creative style.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Hi Chad,

You mention "lack of good TTL" — which flash are you using with the OMD and how good or bad is it?

Z

• Like Like x 1
  7. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad

Yeah wish more wedding folks could get together share what's working with a couple struggles or lighting use etc..

Low light is fine it's when things start moving in low light it's a bit to slow at times say at 2000 ISO 30th sec at 2.8 and your ambient is a solid 1.5 stops under so you need that flash to freeze the action on top of making up that stop and half is where I have issues :)
    Static objects with contrast no issues :)

Delivery. I tend to shoot in 3:2 as I like the viewfinder that way and since I shoot FF things are a bit more consistent looking that way but do like 4:3 look also so for my own stuff kill the 3:2 crop I shoot in
    So weddings 3:2 my own 4:3 :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Hey bud :)

Metz 50 and fl-600

Accuracy is good the little fl-600 find OK in small dressing rooms not enough for larger rooms where the metz 50 is ok but could be quicker recycle at times

Where I have issues is the lag ! It's sleight but it's there and annoys the heck out of me for some things where timing is super critical. I have missed shots :(
    Of course are FF gear does not have this issue :)

Flash (Gordon) was saying use auto so have to try that more but have to get a larger flash :) since the metz does not have it and my fl-600 won't be enough but playing around with with the fl-600 in auto for sure the lag is gone so that looks promising

Off camera lighting like my cheetahs in the corner of course works but since we know wandering around etc.. That TTL is handy for on camera :)

Heard good things about the Nikon on auto but don't have a 900 or 910 to try in auto mode ?

I think a powerful enough auto flash like a Nikon 910 power of flash with auto might work just need to get one who's head spins back !

Noticed Panasonic has a 580 flash coming out looks like a large fl-600
    Figuring it will have a auto mode and will work with other TTL stuff if I want so waiting for that about $600 ? Hope street is less of course
    Not sure any knock offs have auto with heads that spin
    Have thought drop one of my old vivitar 285sv on there but heads don't spin :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I am going to try the Canon 600EX-RT. I have it for my FF cameras, but haven't used it on the E-M1 for work yet. It has an Auto mode, which strangely is not called Auto. Instead it is called "Ext. M". There is no lag as far as I can tell. The only problem is that it is huge on top of the E-M1. And it's not as easy to use as TTL because you have to dial in the ISO and f-stop on the flash. Once those are entered, and with camera settings on manual, it seems to work pretty well.

By the way, that Oly 17/1.8 lens is super sweet. Really liking it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Yeah same as on my OLY flash !Could get old really fast
    Have a few old vivitar 285hv should try that thryistor mode :) but the heads don't rotate ? But would be curious how it works thought about the 385 ? To slow recycle time though

Yeah the 75 is insane sharp etc

I am curious how JVS is doing flash these days since he is using the omd now to ?

One of the things I am trying to work through is this TTL thing :) and no clean simple solution I like yet :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Chad,

Go get that 600R and try auto mode on your family today! Now!. Go on, we'll wait.......

Agree on the focusing. It's not the light level. It's contrast. The venues with really yellow bulbs or limited spectrum lights really make CADF struggle. I use a fish for dancing shots mostly so no AF issues there. I'm also using a lot more mf at receptions. Zone focusing is a powerful but forgotten tool for boquet and garter shots.

Off topic. Shot a very cool wedding last weekend but had my stand in instead of regular 2nd. He's all mirrorless. I shot Leica all day and he shot Olympus. But at one stage we had an M240, M9, EM1, A7, A7r, EM5 and an XT1 sitting next to each other. Was cool to see what the XT1 was like in low light (hint: not as good as an EM1 and very similar to the A7) and he had the new 56mm Fuji lens which looks really nice.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Gordon :)

yup was doing that :) not sure about the changing of the iso and stuff ? but played around a bunch with it here and going to try it out this next weekend at a wedding some

could be the contrast :) or trying to keep it on contrast parts :) found a few times making the focus spot a larger rectangle and trying to keep it on the grooms jacket shirt area but its tough when they come dancing in moving all over :)

ditto zone its the one way I can do it :) and found I can easily get the bridal toss if I stand more sideways lock focus down so bride throwing and groups is same distance bring up to say f4 and go for it just like the head on shots better :) also found I can do the grand entrance just focus at pre spot and get when they hit that area ? but want it easy to :) ahahaha lazy photographer :)

that red led we talked about for sure is or seems way quicker acting on the Em1 does not stay on as long for me as it did on the EM5 so been using that to

you should have snapped a cell phone pic at least of that collection :) ahahahaha that would be cool

interesting to hear about the XT1 also a few I know now have tried and gave up so that says all I need to know :) for me at least

not sure if its a big thing but massive purple uplighting here and then lasers that paint everyone really bad so have your shots the people have laser spots all over them !!!!

did pick up that 17 prime so anxious to try that out this weekend will keep my 12-35 off and just use the 17 and my 25 and 75 mostly my D600 is getting the shutter replaced so won't have that around !

• Like Like x 1
  14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    yeah saw that mentioned that a few posts back curious what that is going to be like :) looks like a nice new full size flash setup :) hope it comes out about $100 less than prices I have seen :)

15. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    so two more jobs down and have to say the little 17 performed well :)
    the grand entrance just did one couple coming through then back to my FF to be safe but the little 17 did well focus was quick enough grabbed it
    I do think a lot of it had to do with being a 1.8 over the 2.8 allowing more light in :)
    so I think the prime 17 solved my one issue grand entrance ? have to try the bouquet toss next :) but think it will be OK

the other 2 downsides still exist for me
    Flash: OK tried auto mode on the Fl-600 a few times and just found it so inconsistent ? kinda bummed was hoping that was going to save me :)
    Focus: also the OMD still has some lag at times in the reception and dark no contrast scenes sadly :( but we all know this is the downside the upside is outside good light I swear its faster than my FF :)

besides that have to say I like shooting the M4/3 more :) minus those two things I think its a more fun camera to be shooting at a wedding or event but those two things are MAJOR !
    getting burnt out on two systems at a wedding ? 2nd season doing it two cameras systems means double everything from flashes to batteries to lens and I want to cut down my gear !
    big decisions for next year :)

couple shots from yesterday :) one FF shot the other two are OMD
    (4 of the shots on the first post are from this same venue since its one I shoot often)

2014-04-12_(16-26-56)-bw.

2014-04-12_(19-00-12).

the first post the shot just below the ring shot of the lake this is the same venue just a dif angle on the lake :)

2014-04-12_(18-53-01).

• Like Like x 4
  16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Shame about the flash not working for you. I get about the same results as when I shot Canon. I know Nikon is better in this regard (as are the Sony's I'm using ATM) but overall I had no significant issues with the FL50r or the Metz 58AF2. I wonder if it's the 600r being underpowered. I only use mine for personal stuff and as a master for OCF. I've never used the 600r in a reception on camera.

Again, I agree about the low light, low contrast focusing. I use the focus assist on camera and it's OK, but not spectacular. Reminds me of my old 5D2's in the same conditions. The last two weddings I've shot I've switched to manual focus at receptions (something I'm entirely comfortable with). I even shot 100 table/couple shots on a Leica with a 75mm last wedding. 100% in focus. I even did some zone focusing with on camera flash and dragging the shutter plus rear curtain sync for the dancing shots. And yes, I did the bridal entrance all manual focus with tracking through the rangefinder. Shot them too wide. At f2.8 I got 80% sharp. At f4 it would have been all good. I'm so pleased that I'm going to see if I can use the focus peaking instead of AF at the next reception.

Dual camera systems doesn't bug me that much, although I'd prefer to have just the one. Once my 135mm Telyt is back from repair and I get my M extension tubes I'll be able to shoot with just a single system, whether that be Leica, Sony or Olympus. I'll get the 70-200 for the Sony but I don't "need it". I did 99% of my last wedding with just the Leicas and it was great. Two weddings before that with just the Sony's. No problems either. If I had to pick one it'd probably be the a7's. Now the AF on that one would drive you nuts.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  17. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Very interesting findings from wedding photographers. I'll have to post some of my work on this thread. I didn't have my full kit yet when I shot my last wedding. I was essentially functioning off of some Canon 430 EXIIs and a single Fl600R. The FL600R I thought was on and off. I didn't have my usual diffuser so I tried to pop a white frost plate which caused some bluish hue on the FL600. For my OCF triggers, I used Yn622Cs which worked just fine for manual adjustments. It was only a small reception so the Canons I used were just fine. I used the Oly 12-40 a LOT more than I thought I would just for flexibility but I was also using Voigt 42.5, Oly 12,17,45, and 75 too. The most disappointing thing was TTL performance and refresh times on the FL600R. I tried to bounce off of the ceiling most times I didn't have OCFs running and when I wanted fill with OCF running, all settings were manual which means much a lot of over or under exposure. Overall, it was still fine photographing with the EM1 kit but without lighting stuff that works in a system, it gets a little bothersome. I've since gotten more FL600Rs and the Voigt 17.5 for thinner DOF at wider shots. I was a Canon shooter before and had a full deck of L lenses so in some ways, I miss those lenses but at least focus locks much faster now with the EM1 and with more FL600Rs, everything works wirelessly now. M43 definitely needs some radio flashes for sure like the Canon 600EXRTs. I'm wondering if the new YN-STE3 works with the 600s on the EM1. TTL via radio would make it even easier but I haven't found anything that works yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Flash
    yeah the 600 tried in getting ready room reception hall for fun since this one has lower ceiling did ok for consistency in TTL but both places auto was way overpowered so faked down the ISO but as soon as distance to subject changed might as well have been in manual mode :)
    We have both said it's a great personal flash but not enough for pro or large room but wanted to try the auto :) hahahaha oh the fun
    Found my Nikon sb700 decent for manual :) not to big and enough power :)
    My off camera cheetah 360 are awesome but that is off camera and. I wander from there range a lot at the

I got the metz 50 trying to save weight works good in TTL just the lag :( so might have to try a bigger flash in auto ? Might even drop my old vivitar 285 on for fun :) while. I can't rotate the head would be fun to try

Yeah the red led helps closer in :) resisted on that but you pushed me into using :) hahaahh does help for sure

Tried some manual focus found peaking was impossible for me to many things moving to dark so next will try out some zone stuff next time for fun
    Chipping away at ideas :)
    Problem is I want easy :) dslr do so much for us. I say we have gotten lazy me being just over 50 been around manual focus etc... So can do it again but kinda like for work the press and nail the shot for paid work :)

Not throwing in the towel yet :) am tempted to do weddings with two d600/610 no swapping batteries or cards all day use the new godox 580 for Nikon when the come out and have trigger with me and lens 24,85,135 :)

19. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Ah yeah, I tried peaking but found that it's not so good with more tele lenses or It's back focusing. I tend to use the magnification mode for MF if I need it. I also have to say that I didn't chimp much using the EM1 whereas the 5D3, I was always chimping due to focus and light.

20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Shot with canon digital was Nikon film before with N90s but when the original 1d came out jumped sold and got new camera every version
    Before last season sold all my L glass and canon got the D600 and started using my em5 along side this season d600 and em1
    So kinda in similar boats :)
    Miss my 24L and my main wedding kit outside 16-35 and 70-200 then go inside switch to 24 and 85 but don't miss lugging around the bulk and weight all day :)
    A few other L lens did not use much like the 24-70 etc... Don't miss those
    Love love my Oly 75 and 60 macro

Yeah agree manual flash is a pain :) for paid work I want easy :) and manual is fine for portraits but reception it's a pain I find since distances change so much :)

The fl600 is to tiny my personal in house though but use the metz 50 on my em1 nice balance of size power

All my off camera work is now with the cheetah lights co-360
    Last season on m4/3 used phottix triggers and my old 580 canon flash units :)

Cheetahs rock though great power recycle radio power adjust etc...

• Like Like x 1