OMD weather sealing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by whereisgibson, Jun 14, 2013.

1. whereisgibson

whereisgibson Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2013
    As one of the users to have problems with weather sealing, can we investigate what the term means.

For a start, what is it about the lens on the left that makes it 'weather sealed'? The rubber skirt alone, or anything else?

Also, what does the body do to keep out water and dust? Here's why I'm asking:

I'm going to have to learn how to be more careful with this camera, so understanding the weak points should help us all keep these great cameras working.
  2. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Obvious question how did this happen? How long did it take after getting wet for the camera to fail?
    I've used my OMD with a weather sealed lens a few times in the rain and it seems to be working fine, but after seeing this I'm a bit worried.
  3. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    From your bike tour of Scotland, was the camera hanging around your neck exposed whilst riding on the bike at speed? I was wondering if for instance riding with the camera in rain / sea air at 70mph may force the moisture in through the seals. Did you keep it in a bag or case the rest of the time?
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    It is only splash proof (at least that is what is on the lens) which I would interpret as being only for under a light shower of rain etc. & then dry it off afterwards.
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    If there's no seal on the lens mount I don't see how it can even claim splash proof.

For Splash proof, I'd expect a ingress protection rating of at least IP 5/4 (meaning "Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment" & "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect")
    This would give no guarantee of protection for immersion or water jets.
    Without a seal on the mount the water protection can't be expected to pass the level 2 test where "Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position" :rant:

My weather resistant lens has an O ring built into the mount, which will need periodic maintainance to mainain the protection.
  6. whereisgibson

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanging around my neck all day, but not in the rain - it would be moved to a damp tank bag until it ceased. It could be the wind, but the camera would hang around my navel so it's well out of the way of the air-stream and behind a screen.
  7. whereisgibson

Jun 12, 2013
    The problem was the shutter freezing, which happened after about 5 months but I really can't pinpoint what caused it.

I used it as a tourist for a few months backpacking, for a day at the sidelines of the Dakar rally, a few days' camping in -5, and for a month around my neck on a mostly dry bike trip around Scotland.

I was shocked to see the photos sent by Olympus, and now I'm worried that it's nowhere near as sealed as we might believe - ie barely at all. So it would be good for folks here to understand what the limits of these cameras are, so you don't have an out-of-warranty heart attack like I did.
  8. whereisgibson

Jun 12, 2013
    The 12-50mm lens has this around the outside:
  9. iamhub

iamhub Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Last january had my om-d splashed and drenched with sea water about 3 or 4 times during a seascape shoot, while using the non-sealed m.zuiko 9-18mm. Washed the body with the 12-50mm attached using tap water about 3 hours after, then brought the body and lens to olympus service center two days after just to be sure, told them about the sea water and asked them to check everything (also replace the lcd frame since i was already there), got it back after 3 days, no problems with the camera and lens according to their report. Both are still working perfectly up to this day.