OMD weather sealing question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by maflynn, Jul 13, 2017.

1. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I suppose this question is more general and doesn't pertain to a certain OMD. This was brought about because of my original OMD EM5 getting submerged in a river (I know the weather sealing wasn't designed for that).

Do I risk my OMD EM5 Mark II more by not using a sealed lens? That is without a sealed lens is the risk of damage to the camera greater? I understand if I get into a situation where its raining and I have an unsealed lens, the lens could incur moisture damage, but will the camera be safe?

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    A weathersealed camera is only weathersealed when a weathersealed lens is attached.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    That's kind of what I thought but sometimes it helps to sound out the even most basic questions :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, you need the seal around the lens mount that's present on weather-sealed lenses in order to fully seal the body, otherwise would could sneak down between the lens mount and camera mount, get on the contacts, and damage something electronically.

While that's the not-really official word, I do wonder just how likely a droplet of water would be to actually make it down between the lens mount and camera mount, given the fairly high surface tension of water (talking about using the camera in rainy conditions, and not subjecting it to large splashes or quick, accidental submersions).

5. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Probably unlikely, as I frequently had the Oly 14-42 lens on my old EM5. I recall a number of times, I was caught out in the rain either hiking, or DisneyWorld and the camera didn't seem any worse for wear. Now that I had to replace it (due to a complete submersion in water), I'm a little more sensitive to water damage. I guess in my case the pendulum swung all the way over to being more paranoid about moisture damage.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    With the new camera, if you're looking for weather sealed "normal" lenses to use, your options are:
    • Olympus 12-50 (I believe you had this before. It's a bit "meh" IMO)
    • Panasonic 12-60 (brand new split-from-kit copies tend to go for ~ $250-300. Better than the 12-50)
    • Olympus 12-40 PRO (fantastic lens, used copies go for around $500)
    • Panasonic 12-35 (also fantastic, but typically more expensive than the 12-40 PRO. For Olympus users, there's no real need to get this over the Olympus lens IMO).
    • PanaLeica 12-60 (not many used copies out there, and it doesn't justify its $1000 price tag IMO)
    • Olympus 12-100 PRO (an excellent lens, though also the most expensive. F4 max aperture may be a concern for some, as might the size & weight. Another great performer though)
    • Olympus 14-150 II (technically a superzoom, but it's weather sealed and performs better than the 12-50 does, but with a much better range)
    As you can see, there are plenty of options out there. Personally, I would look at either he 12-40 PRO or the Panasonic 12-60 (used in both cases). Very good lenses, reasonably priced on the used market, and will ensure the system is weather sealed when in use.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Yeah, I'm looking at that, though it conflicts with my ideal of having a small light camera setup. However, I can see myself in DisneyWorld caught in a sudden downpour.

8. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Water is always worried about,but getting a little rain water on any camera is going to happen and won't hurt. Just wipe it off. I believe salt water or even salt spray and/ or fine dust is a more dangerous enemy. For instance I was out at some sand dunes ,and there were severe winds. Dust and sand were getting my eyes and mouth. But EM -1 II
    ,/12-100mm f4 were fine. P6120162. y EM-1 did not suffer. Just me.

9. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Agreed, and I just so happen to live near a beach, though I'm not a beach person and don't go there very often, but I totally understand and agree with your point

10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    While the mount is a potential point of water access to the camera, I always thought that the (non-sealed) lens itself had more potential to allow water into the body. Lenses have moving parts, especially zoom lenses, that are points of access. Also many plastic kit lenses just aren't made with the tolerances needed to protect itself or the camera. They are just okay for the occasional sprinkle from a rain shower or waterfall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I am not sure how much I would trust a setup that included a non-weather sealed lens. I have full confidence in Olympus weather sealing and tend to push my gear to the limits. But..........using a non-sealed lens is just asking for problems in my opinion. Sure, a light shower it will most likely not have a problem with........beyond that I would not trust it. When on the beach or in conditions where sand is an issue (lots of desert areas in west Texas) I will only use sealed gear, because when I get done for the day I can just wash it off to get most of the sand off...............you never get all of it (I still find a stray piece of sand here and there and it's been months since I was at the beach with my gear).

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes there is something to be said about that. I have had to rinse off my E-M1 + MMF-3 + 12-60mm on a couple of occasions from having spilled beer on it. While the weather sealing kept the beer out as well, being able to give it a quick gentle rinse so it didn't have beer dry on it and get all sticky was very much appreciated. Same can be said for sand, ocean water, mud, etc. where not having to sit there with a damp cloth hoping to get it all off and praying there isn't much in the cracks and crevices (like around buttons and switches) that can't be easily cleaned with a cloth is another great reason for weather resistance setups even if you don't normally shoot in the rain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Start weight lifting, then everything becomes light!

14. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    The 12-40 isn't that heavy. Especially if it's replacing primes you might otherwise have brought. E.g., the Oly 12/2, 25/1.8, and 45/1.8 together weigh 383g. The 12-40 is 382g.

15. AdamK

AdamK Mu-43 Rookie Subscribing Member

Dec 3, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Adam
    Agreed on the salt spray - my E-M5 and 12-40 Pro have been on sailboat rides in very choppy waters. A rinse-off in clean fresh-water immediately following gets everything ship-shape. But that salt spray has a way of intruding even into the space between the layers of a polarizing filter - lost a couple of good filters that way, but willing to sacrifice to keep the front element clean. I'd never trust a non-sealed lens in any condition more severe than a light (fresh-water) sprinkle, and certainly never in a salt or sand-rich environment.

• Agree Agree x 2