OMD vs EP3 grip query

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, May 19, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I cannot find an OMD in a shop anywhere, so a question for users who have OMD and EP3.

How does the basic OMD grip feel in comparison to the basic EP3 grip? Are the about equivalent, or is the OMD a bit more sure and stable?

How about the basic OMD grip vs. an EP3 with the optional large grip?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I just test the EP-3 for a while but I got my HDL-6 for OM-D today.
    The grip on EP-3 feel more soft and natural but not too ergonomic for my long finger due to the shallow hump. The OM-D grip feel more plasticky and hard but due to the higher curved hump it fit my long finger more like holding mini DSLR. And it add the weight of overal OM-D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I assume you mean the OMD straight out of the box....because there is no "grip" per se...... the body is just sculpted. I think the OMD without grip is a slight step up over the E-P3 with basic grip. The E-P3 with optional large grip make sit much better than the straight OMD. But then the optional $300 (!) grip for the OMD makes it the best of the micro four-thirds world (or at least equal to the Panny GH series (albeit a greater expense)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

+1:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, that's correct. I love my EPM1, but just want something with a bit better grip for my newly acquired (and newly beloved) 100-300, and also I'd like a second body. OMD+grip = $1400. EP3 + Grip ~$500-600

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    FWIW, the large grip for the E-P3 did make the 100-300 much better...... no complaints, really. But the OMD with the extra grip means I could shoot the 100-300 ONE-HANDED and all day long....no exaggeration.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You must be very strong. :biggrin:

I slapped the grip on my camera minutes after I tore open the boxes :tongue: and will probably never take it off. ( I only use the battery in the portrait part of the grip and carry two batteries.) With the 75/300 on it it is no longer a small camera. It's no D3 ( previous camera ) but its a far cry from the EP3. But then reach wise with this lens it is still quite compact compared to anything DX or FX. :thumbup:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you can test out an E-PL2 or E-PL1 in the store, that will give you an idea of what the E-P3's larger grip is like. Don't forget that the E-M5 has more than just the finger grip, it also has a substantial thumb grip.

I also suggest checking out this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f43/non-slip-tape-camera-21301/index4.html
    Even a Mini can be turned into an easy-gripping machine, and the cameras with the better grips can all be greatly improved.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The ep3 large grip isn't any better than the epl2??

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, it's almost a replica of the E-PL1 grip which is functionally the same as the E-PL2 but not as stylish. ;) Well, I guess some prefer the non-contoured recess of the E-PL1 grip (functionally), but the difference is minor.

What actually surprised me is that no other third-party grips became available for the E-P3 using the modular grip screw. We had all expected a bunch of third party accessories to appear for that, but instead we got a bunch of third-party grips for the Mini and E-PL3 instead. Admittedly, the Mini and Lite do need them more. ;)

11. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    ^^^ +1... I can't believe olympus left out grips for these guys. First thing I did was slap a grip for the epl3. Most of the cons in the reviews for them were handling..... Duh!

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Au contraire, Ned: the large grip for the E-P3 is VERY different from that on the E-PL2. The E-P3 grip has an extension at the top of the grip under which you can put two or three fingers, while the E-PL2 has a straight grip from to to bottom. In my experience they handle quite differently, although both are easy to grip - for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    They sure look different in the pictures!

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    • Like Like x 1