OMD Video Codecs

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by RamblinR, Jun 17, 2014.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Have started a post on the Olympus Flickr site.
    They watch this site and have replied to my post.

If you are a Flickr member come on over and add your thoughts about video for the OMD EM1.

Maybe we can get a better codec and other features out of them.

Here is the link
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Can you tell us more about it on this site, some quotes from 'them' etc?
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    It would be great if they could just get the bit rate up to 32 or so. Raising the bit rate would go a long way in removing the artifacts you see with any type of movement (horizontal pans especially) in the Olys. Well the Oly rep does say several more updates to firmware this year and next, so lets wait and see. BTW even if you are not a member you can read the posts.
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I would be shocked if they addressed the video issue via firmware updates.
  5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the heads-up. Here is what I wrote:

I own an E-M5 and E-PM2 and am in the process of moving towards two E-P5 cameras. I love your cameras for still photography and I love the Olympus and Panasonic lenses in the micro 4/3 system!

I have begun to enjoy shooting video more and more, and really the only reason I haven't yet sold my Olympus cameras and moved to Panasonic is because of the IBIS system in video. I love going out to shoot with a minimum setup - no external stabilisation, tripods, monopods...

The video codec in the Olympus cameras crumbles into a blocky mess when I am shooting wider shots where there is movement. Shooting video for mid or close up shots where the background is blurred results in beautiful video.

I don't understand why Olympus has such a beautiful image output and fantastic IBIS system, (which must be the difficult engineering!), but that the video codec output is so poor.

Here is a screen capture of the beautiful video when using closeups and shallow depth of field:
    Good Video

Here is a screen capture of broken video from a wider shot with movement:
    Broken Video

As an added bonus, I would love to see Olympus add some more advanced features like histogram/focus peaking/zebras when shooting video, multiple frame rates, at least 60fps in 1080p, punch in focus area with magnification/peaking for manual focus assistance. At least parity of features with Panasonic would be great! Jacks for mic input and headphone monitors would also be excellent.

Here are some more articles about video on the E-M5 and E-M1:

Thank you Olympus for making such excellent still photography cameras. Think of how many more cameras you could sell if you improve the video - look at the GH4 hype!